March 28, 2024, 11:01:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Spark2 - can't find Instrument save  (Read 2440 times)

hesnotthemessiah

• Apprentice
Spark2 - can't find Instrument save
« on: May 12, 2020, 10:53:29 am »
Had Spark2 for about a week now and I like to make my own Instruments using the Modular. I can't find the option to save an Instrument that I create using the Modular and there is no mention of this in the manual. Obviously it would be daft to be able to create your own drum sound using Modular and then not be able to save it, so that you could use it at a later stage in another project or perhaps even load it to another pad in your current project to then edit and create variations. I mean, you wouldn't sell a VST instrument where you couldn't save your own presets! So where is this Instrument save option?

I also posted  this on the KVR Arturia forum.

LBH

Re: Spark2 - can't find Instrument save
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 01:51:58 pm »
Hi,

You can access the individual instruments in a project to use in another project.

I don't think you can save a single instruments at a time. But as said, you can still access a single individual instruments from a saved project, to use in a instrument slot for a new project.

hesnotthemessiah

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 04:40:21 pm »
Hi,

You can access the individual instruments in a project to use in another project.

I don't think you can save a single instruments at a time. But as said, you can still access a single individual instruments from a saved project, to use in a instrument slot for a new project.

Thanks for your reply LBH.  I think we might have our wires crossed.  I am trying to find out how you can save and reload an instrument created within Spark2.  By instrument I mean something created within Modular. 

So, how do I create a snare drum within Spark2.  Save that snare drum.  Close Reaper.  Open an empty Reaper project.  Load Spark2.  Load that snare that I had created to a pad within this Spark2?

It seems strange to me that they have Modular within Spark2 so that you can create your own drum sounds but I can't find a way to actually save those drum sounds individually, so that I can then reload them individually when creating a kit in another project. 

Am I the only person who creates there own drum sounds within Arturia and wants to be able to load these drum sounds up at a later date when creating a new kit in a new project? 

Or even to save a created drum sound so that I can then load it to other pads to create variations.  I had created a Tom sound and wanted to copy it to another pad and create a variation of it.  But can't find a way to do that.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 05:18:41 pm »
When you click on the name for a instrument slot in Studio view, then you get a pop up menu from where you can load all the instruments you have in all other projects you have including the ones you have saved before your self.
(You can also do this through the Library INSTR. window.)

So you can create a project. Create a drum in the modular. Save the project.
Create or open another project. Do as explained above, and then you have your drum in the new project.

As an example, then you this way can create a project/ Kit that use single individual drums  from 16 other projects/ kits/ Banks. One drum for each pad.

Explore the possibilities.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:42:06 pm by LBH »

hesnotthemessiah

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 04:02:56 pm »
When you click on the name for a instrument slot in Studio view, then you get a pop up menu from where you can load all the instruments you have in all other projects you have including the ones you have saved before your self.
(You can also do this through the Library INSTR. window.)

So you can create a project. Create a drum in the modular. Save the project.
Create or open another project. Do as explained above, and then you have your drum in the new project.

As an example, then you this way can create a project/ Kit that use single individual drums  from 16 other projects/ kits/ Banks. One drum for each pad.

Explore the possibilities.

So I create a drum in the modular - as in add an envelope, some oscillators etc. in modular to create my own drum sound, lets say a high pitched tom sound.  I then need to save the Reaper project. Then I can load a new Reaper project.  Load Spark2 in this new project and the high pitched tom sound I created can then be loaded to any of the pads in Spark2 via the pop up menu in the instrument slot in Studio view or through the Library INSTR. window?

LBH

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 04:59:48 pm »
Except that when i say "Save project/ Kit/ Banks" then it's about saving in Spark2 no mater you are in a host/ DAW or not.  In the top left of Spark you see 3 file icons. The first icon create a new Spark project. The next is Save and the third is Save As.
Your drums will then be availble in any DAW/ Host and for Spark2 in standalone mode too.
This is normal procedure for any plugin.

LBH

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 05:36:22 pm »
FYI: There a several Arturia tutorial videos here on the product page: https://www.arturia.com/spark2/media

hesnotthemessiah

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 06:04:04 pm »
But I want to be able to save an individual instrument that I create so that I can then reload it, to any pad within Spark2.  I am not referring to saving and loading a project, Kit or Bank.

Been having another search on the Arturia forum here and found this post from back in 2012 with the same request as mine, for the ability to save individual instruments.  Kevin from Arturia advised that they were thinking about it.......

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=5919.0

So the only option seems to be, if you want to save an individual instrument that you have created in Spark2, you have to save the whole current Spark2 Bank that has the individual instrument you want to save.  Not really practical or inspiring.

LBH

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 06:31:08 pm »
I know what you wan't to do. I'm telling you what you can do, do get a similar result.
I told you that in my first post.

Why don't you just try things out? To me it sounds like you still even have tried to save a project and to access an instrument.

In reality you can create a project that only have one drum you make, and then save that project. In that case it will be like saving an individual instrument, that you can access like i have described.

I think this is mostly about you learning, and to find out a method that's best for you.

If you look at 7:50 in this video https://www.youtube.com/embed/gqp0toNX4-M that's the first tutorial in the link i posted, then you can see how your individual instruments will be availble in the Studio view.
At 14:18 you can see how the instruments will be availble in INSTRUMENT view.
What's wrong with that. This way you don't have to save all your individual instruments one by one, that many would complain about, if they had to do that.

EDIT: BTW: If you wan't to save a drum sound created in modular in a audio file, then you can record it and save that  as a audio file. Then it will be a audio file like any other, that you can use where audio files can be used. But that's not about Spark2, unless you load that audio file later in a Spark2 sampler module.
And you can do like Terrym suggest in the thread you post a link for.
I think it's much about learning. EDIT END
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:53:36 pm by LBH »

hesnotthemessiah

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 07:37:16 pm »
If you look at 7:50 in this video https://www.youtube.com/embed/gqp0toNX4-M that's the first tutorial in the link i posted, then you can see how your individual instruments will be availble in the Studio view.
At 14:18 you can see how the instruments will be availble in INSTRUMENT view.
What's wrong with that. This way you don't have to save all your individual instruments one by one, that many would complain about, if they had to do that.

7:50 and 14:18 both show how to load an instrument.  That was not what this thread is really about.  I was asking how do I load (and, therefore in the first place, save) an instrument that I have created?  For example:- I create a brilliant Tom in MODULAR whilst creating a track.  A month later, I am working on another track.  I have Spark2 loaded up and think, I bet that brilliant Tom I created will sound good in this track.  So, like the chap does at 7:50 or 14:18 in the video, I bring up the INSTRUMENT list in Spark2.  But, because there is no save option to save your INSTRUMENT creations in Spark, I had not been able to save my brilliant Tom as an INSTRUMENT and, therefore, it will not appear in the INSTRUMENT list........unless you have saved the whole Spark2 Bank that had the brilliant Tom sound in it, which is not really practical or inspiring.

Perhaps I should put it another way.......if you have created an INSTRUMENT in Spark2, how would you save this INSTRUMENT and then load this INSTRUMENT into Spark2?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:40:36 pm by hesnotthemessiah »

LBH

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 08:34:13 pm »
I've allready told you how. When you save a Spark2 project, then your individual instruments will turn up like you see in the video. Meaning you can load the instrument (not project but individual instrument) that  you made in any Spark2 projects, just like you see in the video.
Try it please.

EDIT: I can add, that you can name your individual drum in the header in studio. That will be the name, that you will be able to find your drum under, when you will load it as an individual instrument in another Spark2 projects instrument slot like shown in the video. EDIT END
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 09:00:26 pm by LBH »

hesnotthemessiah

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 10:22:41 pm »
This is what I have done:-
1)Load up Reaper
2)Open Spark2 in Reaper
3)Goto MODULAR where I have Instrument 1
4)Edit Instrument 1 in MODULAR
5)Goto STUDIO page and rename Instrument 1 to "NT_BD1"
6)Save Spark2 project as Bank
7)Quit Reaper project.

8)Load up Reaper
9)Open up Spark2 in Reaper
10)As shown in the Arturia video:- Goto LIBRARY and select the INSTR. tab and select the User(all) option.
11)"NT_BD1" appears and can be loaded.

Thankyou!!  This works. But...............this whole process is so long winded and leads to unnecessary work consolidating and deleting banks:-  I have created, like Terrym, a couple of category Banks to store instruments so that I can then consolidate banks and then delete banks where I didn't need 15 of the instruments included in them (the INSTR. list would just get cluttered up with duplicates). But I think Spark2 really just needs a save Instrument option.  To be honest, I am very suprised that Arturia missed out this option when adding Modular and other sound creation options.

This is one of those cases where, had we been in the same room, we would have sorted this out in 5 minutes, but it is often difficult (and frustrating!!!) trying to get what you mean across in a forum like this. ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:36:33 pm by hesnotthemessiah »

LBH

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 11:04:53 pm »
Your welcome.

There are pros and cons to any solution, i would think.

Much can be about how you find a way to organize things using the availble possibilities, and to get your head around how things work.

The main thing is, that this is solved. Thanks for reporting that back.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines