March 29, 2024, 11:22:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Pigments master volume keeps randomly jumping up in value  (Read 3809 times)

Harpoons

• Apprentice
Pigments master volume keeps randomly jumping up in value
« on: May 06, 2020, 06:01:57 am »
Pigments in-app master volume keeps randomly jumping to almost max and I cant figure out why.

Im running Ableton 10 on Windows 10. Midi controller settings are on default

Sometimes it will do it in the middle of it playing a midi clip. Sometimes it will jump at the beginning. I swear even a couple times it did it when that track was active but there was no midi feeding it. I even tried automating the master volume but it still managed to jump despite it, which is the pic attached.

I tested it on a blank project and with no midi and running on its own for 10 minutes it didnt jump. With midi, and there were no other tracks on the project besides this one it jumped in a few minutes. It is random, theres no consistent time between jumps. The test I did after that one it took awhile before it jumped. It is reproducible on my computer, i havent tried it on others..

Why is this happening? How can I fix this? Its really frustrating. This has been an issue since I got this VST in February but today I was exporting a really long song and when I listened to it after I realized that Pigments jumped the volume my bass track and it almost blew out my sub. Im happy to provide any extra information to get this issue resolved.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 06:43:35 am by Harpoons »

LBH

Re: Pigments master volume keeps randomly jumping up in value
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 11:50:35 am »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

I tested it on a blank project and with no midi and running on its own for 10 minutes it didnt jump. With midi, and there were no other tracks on the project besides this one it jumped in a few minutes.
What do you mean by with and without midi? What midi?

I can see a difference between the two volume levels you show in your image. Is one of them a automation parameter that Live show, or what is it?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:52:13 am by LBH »

Harpoons

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 12:16:58 pm »
What do you mean by with and without midi? What midi?

I can see a difference between the two volume levels you show in your image. Is one of them a automation parameter that Live show, or what is it?

As in with some midi notes drawn in and without midi notes drawn in.

That image in the OP shows that I automated Pigments master volume to one value but in spite of the automation the master volume in Pigments will change anyways without changing the automation value. So Ableton is telling it to be set at one value, but Pigments is doing a different value, and the automation value shown in Ableton wont match up with the actual value coming from Pigments. If I change the value in Pigments after these incidents then the automation value in Ableton will switch to be correct. I dont have this issue with any other VST.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:18:59 pm by Harpoons »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 04:09:46 pm »
I have a Live 10 Lite i don't know much about.

Does your Master Volume in Pigments move, when you hear change?
Have you moved Pigments Volume while recording? Somehow created modulation?

Does it make a difference, if you switch between the Arrangement view and the Session view in Live?

Are you using Pigments as VST2 or VST3? Can you try both please?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 04:26:38 pm by LBH »

Harpoons

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 10:09:15 pm »
Does your Master Volume in Pigments move, when you hear change?
Have you moved Pigments Volume while recording? Somehow created modulation?

Yes. That is what the pic included in the OP shows. The volume I automated it to Ableton is what it should be set at on the right, but on the left is what Pigments changed it to.I am hearing this change because the Master Volume in pigments is changing all on its own.

I am not intentionally changing the Pigments volume. Ive never modulated or automated the Pigments Master volume in live (why would I, when I could just automate the volume of the channel for less clicks). I would rarely even touch the Pigments Master volume knob if it wasnt for this bug.Like I said, I tested this on a blank project and this bug still occurs. New blank project, just one track with Pigments and 1 midi clip with 1 note. I put it on repeat, alt tabbed out, and left it alone. The volume jumped within a few minutes. I tested it again today, and it took around 15 minutes or so before it jumped. It does it randomly, with no consistency in the times it does it.

Does it make a difference, if you switch between the Arrangement view and the Session view in Live?

No, it does not.

Are you using Pigments as VST2 or VST3? Can you try both please?

Im using it as a VST3. I will reinstall it as a VST2 tonight and test it out.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 04:07:59 pm »
I can't reproduce this behavior just like that. I've tried to run recorded midi notes through Pigments - both the VST2 and the VST3 version - in my Live 10 Lite for 30 minutes without i exsperience any changes in Pigments volume.

I think it's strange the volume parameters you show does'nt match. I know too little about Live, to know if this somehow is possible. If it is possible by using modulation or something else, then it perhaps show a direction to correct this behavior.

If you after reinstalls and more testing still believe this is a Pigments issue, then i suggest you contact Arturia support through your account.
If you post Arturia a Live project where you exsperience the issue, then that might help.

pascalschmascal

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 08:39:58 am »
Hello,
it's been a while since you posted this.
Now I just had a similar experience. In my case it only happens when I drag in certain midi clips that I've bought. Other VSTs don't seem to have that issue. When I lower the master volume in Pigments, it jumps back up when the loops restarts. There's no automation on the volume.
Have you figured out what causes this or found a solution for this?

Greetings
Pascal

LBH

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 03:22:34 pm »
Hello,
it's been a while since you posted this.
Now I just had a similar experience. In my case it only happens when I drag in certain midi clips that I've bought. Other VSTs don't seem to have that issue. When I lower the master volume in Pigments, it jumps back up when the loops restarts. There's no automation on the volume.
Have you figured out what causes this or found a solution for this?

Greetings
Pascal
Hi,

Imported pre fabricated midi files/ clips often have midi messages in them, but not all. I would say it's about some midi informations in the midi files. Especially when you say it's only when you use imported midi files.

If other applications does'nt react on the midi messages using the same midi files, then it's just because they are'nt or can't be set up to recieve the messages.

Bashidrum

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 11:50:12 am »
Just started having a similar problem, master volume was jumping to 0db at the same point in a midi clip.

I clicked the settings gear (top right) > MIDI
I then spotted some synth ghosts playing with the master volume control.
My Midi Config was set to User and there was something sending all sorts of random controls to the master volume during playback.
So I stopped playback, reset to default Midi Config, deleted the master volume control entirely (just in case), and exited that menu so there's no chance of setting new controls during playback.

Got my favourite synth back. Hope this is the same for you!

LBH

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 06:29:49 pm »
Hi Bashidrum,

When that helps, then it's because messages in the midi clip is send to Pigments. No need to change midi config, if one just remove the unwanted messages from the midi clip.

Wilus

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 03:02:42 pm »
Hi Everyone - I bought CS-80V and I'm also experiencing a severe jumping issue with the main volume knob.  I haven't even begun sequencing.  I'm simply going through the presets.  It's happening with ALL the presets so far.  Sometimes the volume is set close to zero, and when I begin playing... it jumps, nearly destroying my speakers.  It's very unsettling.  It then continues jumping randomly as I play.  It also jumps when doing nothing while just looking at the screen with arms folded.   

One peculiar thing I've noticed is that the Volume Knob inside CS-80 will move along with my Pitch Bend from my Keyboard Controller.  Very strange.

I've ruled out my DAW as well because I have lots of software from many other company's and have never experienced this. 

I've emailed support but haven't heard anything yet, so I figured I give this place a try in the meantime.  Any work arounds or settings that I can tweak to stop this ghostly behavior? 

Thanks in advance ✌️

LBH

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 04:42:52 pm »
Hi Everyone - I bought CS-80V and I'm also experiencing a severe jumping issue with the main volume knob.  I haven't even begun sequencing.  I'm simply going through the presets.  It's happening with ALL the presets so far.  Sometimes the volume is set close to zero, and when I begin playing... it jumps, nearly destroying my speakers.  It's very unsettling.  It then continues jumping randomly as I play.  It also jumps when doing nothing while just looking at the screen with arms folded.   

One peculiar thing I've noticed is that the Volume Knob inside CS-80 will move along with my Pitch Bend from my Keyboard Controller.  Very strange.

I've ruled out my DAW as well because I have lots of software from many other company's and have never experienced this. 

I've emailed support but haven't heard anything yet, so I figured I give this place a try in the meantime.  Any work arounds or settings that I can tweak to stop this ghostly behavior? 

Thanks in advance ✌️

Hi,

Do you have the same behavior, when you use Pigments in standalone mode/ outside a host?

Changes in volume when you play can happen, if ie Velocity is set to modulate volume/ AMP MOD.  You should not see the Master volume knob change.

Pitch bend data is speciel midi data. It should not be possible to control Pigments Master Volume with Pitch bend. If this happens on stand alone mode, then it's truely wierd. if it happen s in a host, then perhaps it can be about you controller setup, or about something in your host, and not about Pigments.

if you actually mean Modwheel and not Pitch bend, then that only can control volume, if it's set to do so.

If you still think you have a wrong behavior when using a factory preset, then please post a screenshot of the Pigment midi Config you use, when you exsperience your issue, and please tell the name of the preset too.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 04:45:30 pm by LBH »

shis

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2022, 05:40:44 am »
anybody found a solution to this issue with Pigments in Ableton. I also having the same problem - I stopped using Pigments due to this issue for the last six months

Matthieu_Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2022, 01:40:59 pm »
Hi everyone,
I am very sure that the issue always comes from your MIDI config :
By default it is set like this :
CC 7 => Master Volume

Simply right click on this parameter and remove it from the MIDI config.
Maybe save this config as your new default, and make sure it is always loaded before playing any automation, midi clip, etc.
Hope that helps.
QA Technician

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines