April 18, 2024, 06:06:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Drum Sequencer Problems  (Read 2184 times)

ddoyen

• Apprentice
Drum Sequencer Problems
« on: May 05, 2020, 03:39:32 pm »
Noticed a few strange behaviors with the drum sequencer when using the gate outputs.

1. Sometimes if I edit an individual track length live when I choose last step, I hear a trigger fire off when I choose what the last step should be.

2. I have had issues where after choosing the last step, sometimes the drum sequence will have a gate fire off on the last step even if that step is not highlighted and the only way to correct the problem is to completely clear the track and start over. I haven't been able to purposefully duplicate the behavior.

konjurer

• Apprentice
Re: Drum Sequencer Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 04:34:02 am »
I can't make a drum sequence to save my life.  It just doesn't play back ANYTHING correctly.  I can have a steady 1/8 note high hat programmed in and it plays maybe 1/3 of the notes.  Doesn't matter if I step edit or live edit.  Nothing works!   I thought perhaps I didn't understand the random parameter but no matter what I do, that knob doesn't seem to have any effect. 

And pretty much having the same issue with the other tracks as well.  Especially if I record anything live.  Maybe records 1/4 of the notes I played will play on when I playback the sequence.  What's going on with this thing or what am I not understanding?  Watching youtube videos, other seem to be having no problem creating sequences.

johndoe

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 07:36:15 am »
I can't make a drum sequence to save my life.  It just doesn't play back ANYTHING correctly.  I can have a steady 1/8 note high hat programmed in and it plays maybe 1/3 of the notes.  Doesn't matter if I step edit or live edit.  Nothing works!   I thought perhaps I didn't understand the random parameter but no matter what I do, that knob doesn't seem to have any effect. 

And pretty much having the same issue with the other tracks as well.  Especially if I record anything live.  Maybe records 1/4 of the notes I played will play on when I playback the sequence.  What's going on with this thing or what am I not understanding?  Watching youtube videos, other seem to be having no problem creating sequences.

I have the same issues mostly in Live Recording mode, I can't have steady notes either most of the time it will play 1/3 of the notes as well no matter what I do. I think I may misunderstand even the basic behaviour of this device when I compare to video tutorials. And the manual isn't helping much either, it's lacking of demos and proper examples...

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 03:12:12 am »
I can't make a drum sequence to save my life.  It just doesn't play back ANYTHING correctly.  I can have a steady 1/8 note high hat programmed in and it plays maybe 1/3 of the notes. 

What are you triggering for the hi-hats?  Are you using drum mode or sequencer mode?

I have noticed that the Keystep Pro likes to default to unexpected gate times occasionally which can cause steps to not trigger as expected (either too short or too long).   This would affect sequencer mode tracks. 

Also, if you are using CV the drum gates default to 5V instead of 12V which your sound source may not like.  I was trying to figure out why my kick and snare sounded so different compared to being triggered by the Beatstep Pro and that was the cause.

konjurer

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 06:38:30 am »
I'm using the drum mode - each step set to play highhat.  I'm triggering a Soundmachines SD1 eurorack module - it has 6 trigger inputs to 6 channels of PCM drum sounds.  Uses 0-5V.  Plays occasionally but nowhere near all of the notes.  In general, this happens a lot on any of the drum tracks. 

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 07:08:38 pm »
I am unable to recreate this behaviour myself - I set up a track with a CV triggered snare (EHX Crash Pad) with 16 active steps and none are skipped even at high tempos. 

Might be worth putting the module into synth mode and seeing if adjusting the gate length on the Keystep Pro makes the notes trigger?

Value Region 6: SYNTH on ch 5/6 (synth mode uses CH5 as GATE, CH6 as PITCH and acc/cv as SCALE (Min,maj,pentatonic, dorian Maj7, min7, whole, chromatic))

Is there a lot going on when this happens or does it occur even when the only sound playing is the hi-hat? 

konjurer

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 03:51:10 am »
I am unable to recreate this behaviour myself - I set up a track with a CV triggered snare (EHX Crash Pad) with 16 active steps and none are skipped even at high tempos. 

Might be worth putting the module into synth mode and seeing if adjusting the gate length on the Keystep Pro makes the notes trigger?

Value Region 6: SYNTH on ch 5/6 (synth mode uses CH5 as GATE, CH6 as PITCH and acc/cv as SCALE (Min,maj,pentatonic, dorian Maj7, min7, whole, chromatic))

Is there a lot going on when this happens or does it occur even when the only sound playing is the hi-hat?

Not sure what "putting the module into synth mode" means. 

There is not a lot going on.  The Drum sequence is simple - only using the kick drum, snare and highhat.  All three patterns for these three drums drop notes.  But this is not limited to the drum sequencer.   There are 2 issues:

1. It takes FOREVER to record even the most basic sequences. 
2. It drops notes on playback.

I'm pretty much having trouble with every sequence I try to create.  I'm using the drum sequencer on track 1, a Roland System 1 on track 2, a Behringer Model D on track 3 and my eurorack on track 4.  Every track drops notes.  Every track has issues creating a sequence on all three methods of entering a sequence. Really getting frustrated as I can see the power in this thing if it wasn't so buggy.

johndoe

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 12:00:14 pm »
Just wait like anyone else, for a firmware update in 2022 ;D

Didn't warn you this KSP was a beta test release?

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 07:04:47 pm »

Not sure what "putting the module into synth mode" means. 

The module you mentioned has drum voices as well as one synth voice.  It sounds like the synth voice lets you adjust the gate time (which I believe the drum voices do not).   What I was suggesting as a test was to see if the module triggers more reliably if you turn up the gate time (i.e. envelope length)?   

My theory was that the gate pulse was either too short or two low in voltage to trigger the drum voices.

The other question would be are you using the power supply for the KSP or running off of USB?  If USB, try switching to the provided power supply?

konjurer

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 12:00:06 am »
The module you mentioned has drum voices as well as one synth voice.  It sounds like the synth voice lets you adjust the gate time (which I believe the drum voices do not).   What I was suggesting as a test was to see if the module triggers more reliably if you turn up the gate time (i.e. envelope length)?   

My theory was that the gate pulse was either too short or two low in voltage to trigger the drum voices.

The other question would be are you using the power supply for the KSP or running off of USB?  If USB, try switching to the provided power supply?

Thanks for all of your assistance! 

After I had done the firmware update I had to power down and up again - someone in another forum mentioned this tip.  The version number in the display showed the new version number but apparently it needs a hard power-down and up.  After that, the drum issue issues seem MUCH better but still not perfect. \

I will check that synth voice in the drum unit... I forgot that the SD-1 drum module has some kind of oscillator for bass lines.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines