April 19, 2024, 12:39:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Using the SEQUENCER as a MODULATION SOURCE  (Read 2122 times)

gregwood

• Horned Mouth
Using the SEQUENCER as a MODULATION SOURCE
« on: May 03, 2020, 07:39:50 am »
Hello from New Zealand!

Today I wanted to use the Matrixbrute’s sequencer purely as a modulation source to modulate ONLY the pitch of Osc1 (whilst Osc 2 & 3 remain unaffected by the Pitch CV coming from the sequencer). I didn’t want the sequencer to trigger any notes/envelopes - I purely wanted to have it as a pitch modulation source for Osc1. I use this effect often on my Arp 26000 by simply plugging the output of the sequencer into any one of the CV inputs of its 3 oscillators (and you get this nice harmonic affect as the oscillators effectively play ‘chords’ against one another).

HOWEVER, it seems that as soon as you start the sequencer, it triggers notes/envelopes. Using the sequencer ONLY as a modulation source in this way has many benefits because it’s more ‘musical’ - especially when trigger destinations that produce harmonic effects (eg tuning the resonance of a filter to track with CV).

Does anyone know a way around this? IF it's not possible, it would certainly be a useful/powerful upgrade.

Many thanks in advance,
Greg

Processaurus

Re: Using the SEQUENCER as a MODULATION SOURCE
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 08:39:16 am »
Edit: you can use sequencer is modulation only track, see SingleCell’s post below

Not a way 100% around, but you can do a sequence with one long tied together note, middle C, and you’ll get a long note with your sequenced modulation. Only quirk is it retriggers the note when the sequence loops around.

With V2 firmware the custom LFO shape is my preferred way to get sequenced modulation. You can get hard steps or smooth, one shot or looping, clock synced or free. It is always 16 steps but can be scaled to many time division.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:18:18 am by Processaurus »

Processaurus

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 08:44:44 am »
It would be nice to be able to use the sequencer purely for modulation though.

joeman

• Apprentice
    • Musical Experiments
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 11:58:44 am »
It would be nice to be able to use the sequencer purely for modulation though.

+1 :)
Experiencing a flow of temporal information now, and in anticipation, and in retrospect.

yeskeys

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 06:14:20 pm »
You can do this on the Pro3.  Use it only for its modulation tracks, divorced from all notes.  Your mod will re-trigger on each event if you wish.

SingleCell

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 10:36:10 pm »
In v2.0 you can run the Sequencer without any note triggers... which means the Modulation Track can modulate whatever you like, while you play the synth by hand.  It can re-trigger on each note, or run freely by hitting the big green 'Play' button.

If you want it to play notes, you'll have to tune them individually.  It frees you from the 16 step limitation of the previously mentioned custom LFOs though, and gives you more fine tune control. 

The LFOs are faster to program melodic stuff though, once you have the mod amount dialed in at 1 pip per semi tone.  You're limited to 7 notes up or down from root, though.  (Unless you want to make a melody out of only whole tones, thirds etc)

Processaurus

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 11:20:17 am »
In v2.0 you can run the Sequencer without any note triggers... which means the Modulation Track can modulate whatever you like, while you play the synth by hand.  It can re-trigger on each note, or run freely by hitting the big green 'Play' button.

If you want it to play notes, you'll have to tune them individually.  It frees you from the 16 step limitation of the previously mentioned custom LFOs though, and gives you more fine tune control. 

The LFOs are faster to program melodic stuff though, once you have the mod amount dialed in at 1 pip per semi tone.  You're limited to 7 notes up or down from root, though.  (Unless you want to make a melody out of only whole tones, thirds etc)

That’s it! Thank you. I’m enjoying using short modulation sequences over longer envelopes.

You just activate some modulation buttons in the matrix, add some mod values by holding the step’s mod button down and turning the encoder, while leaving the notes empty. Then turn on sequencer for restarting loops, or play, to make the loop run free.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:23:58 am by Processaurus »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines