March 28, 2024, 09:08:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Made the switch to Sequential Pro 3!  (Read 5503 times)

yeskeys

• Apprentice
Made the switch to Sequential Pro 3!
« on: May 02, 2020, 09:51:35 pm »
After all the aggravation with the MB, I got a Pro 3 and the difference is astounding.  First, the internal FX give it a much more polished, professional sound.  And the 3rd osc one of around 32 choosable wavetables, where any modulator can sweep around the 16 waves of that wavetable.  I could go on but all the data is out there.  It really kicks ass on the patches that have 3 different parts creating an evolving or percolating sequence.  And the sequencer allows massive editing per step on a ton of different parameters, but the implementation is a lot simpler than the mental gymnastics necessary to edit steps on the MB.

Strictly viewed in comparison, I'd say the Pro 3 wins in the sound category/creativity playground.  It also doesn't suffer from any sync issues (I use midi DIN) and locks up super tight.  Having spent a couple years with a Pro 2, I can say with the modulation matrix you can cook up some unreal CV routing, make some very complex mod shapes and it's great to have those options back.

Meanwhile: I applaud the MB and it's the new editable LFO's, I really think in the right hands it could blow away any mono synth if someone with a modular background and sensitivity took over programming.  Think of all the different euro modules that could be built into it, with so many matrix points - for instance, an entire Disting could be probably be crammed in there, along with so many other popular modules that come to mind, without the spaghetti mess of cabling.  But it seems like it was dumbed down to be just another 3 osc mono synth when it could be SO much more.

I am obviously VERY biased at this point, but spending almost 2 grand on the MB and it's still not "done" - I am trying to refrain from posting anymore, but I keep hoping they fix the clock and I can integrate it back into my entire system and this happens before I manage to find a buyer.

Again, super sorry to beat the dead horse.  I'd be less inclined to post if I didn't have to come to the website to see if the update is posted!

update - oh yeah, the MB definitely wins in the noise dept - P3 only has white noise while the MB has 4 - the RED is def my favorite!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 10:16:25 pm by yeskeys »

KrisL

• Apprentice
Re: Made the switch to Sequential Pro 3!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 02:47:10 am »
I've perhaps been the most vocal RE problems with the Matrixbrute. 

And I've openly stated I'm not purchasing another Arturia product until Frederic makes a public apology regarding what has transpired to be false statements he made in comments on Inside Synthesis' great review/demo.

But I won't bash the tone of the MB/speak ill of it other than the failure of the company to address bugs in a timely manner.  And the clock, which is almost unworkable for studio recording. 

Issues such as tone are always subjective, and the Pro3 is a very different beast from the MB.

Arturia created a fantastic machine with the MB - and perhaps one of the finest synths for learning synthesis on (I believe there should be at least one MB in every uni electronic music department).

I agree with you RE the failures of Arturia as a company.  But Pro3/MB is apples/oranges. 

PS Arturia - I'll happily purchase/use your products again (and recommend them to others) once your CEO acknowledges his poor handling of this.  If he lacks the humility to do so, I've no interest in paying your wages/putting a roof over your head.

yeskeys - have fun with your new toy :)   

yeskeys

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 06:32:09 pm »
Not sure you've been more vocal than me.  Pretty sure I've used more cuss words.
Are you in good enough graces to be on the beta team?

I'm convinced that the company just plain doesn't give a crap about our criticisms.  They just bounce right off with no response.  So it's basically more an exercise in end user venting, which I've come to accept.  No amount of groveling or apologizing would ever be enough to get me to support this company again.  I had two of their keystep things and both broke within weeks.  Is it a byproduct of French culture to completely ignore any sense of urgency? (any SJW's who take issue with that sentence can get a life - it's a fact that the company is French and I mean no disrespect to any non-US entity).

Is there any software that can block me from visiting these forums?

KrisL

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 10:26:59 pm »
Not sure you've been more vocal than me.  Pretty sure I've used more cuss words.

I certainly haven't cursed/wouldn't do that.

Are you in good enough graces to be on the beta team?

No.  I've already told them that I'm not working for them for free, but that opened up a large can of worms with those who have been doing so. 

Ironically, I had a large list of bugs/fixes for the MB (I hacked the synth very early in owning it/made improvements to it.  Hence I uploaded a video of a true ratchet.  Which their engineers could have worked out, if they tried a little harder). 

I've also contributed perhaps the most online content RE the Matrixbrute; I assumed Arturia would want to keep in good standing with those who promote their products.

I also assumed they'd have contacted me RE creating a patch library for them. 

I'm convinced that the company just plain doesn't give a crap about our criticisms.  They just bounce right off with no response.

Edouard seems OK.  Problems like this generally come from the top and filter down.

Is there any software that can block me from visiting these forums?

Unsure what you're asking here. 

Are you asking RE the security of this site or if Arturia could block you?

If Arturia could block you: yes, of course they could. 

If the security of this site: like most forums, not as secure as would be imagined.  Most users post under assumed anonymity, which is an assumption on their behalf/false confidence RE security protocols. 

If what you are asking is whether your details could be accessed/changed, thus restricting your access: by some, yes.

Not that I/others would hack this site/any other site.  That would be illegal. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:31:10 pm by KrisL »

VAU

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 11:29:21 pm »
to my ears, the Mastrixbrute is more in the warm, crazy VCS3 department,
while the PRO3 is more the cold&deadly one.
That's why i stick with my MB ;)

standingwave

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 01:44:51 am »
I have some DSI/Sequential gear and have found that company to exceed my expectations as far as product support.
 I'm glad you found a satisfying tool for your expression Yeskeys!

Lunatic Sound

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 02:46:49 pm »
Man, I am craving a Prophet as well. But I used to be a sound engineer, so I am basically out of work... I get along, but there is certainly not a Prophet in sight :D

Have fun, Yeskeys, and don't spend to much time on being annoyed! It's not worth it!

yeskeys

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 08:41:28 pm »
Thanks Lunatic! - Honestly, the only time I'm really annoyed is when I come here to see if the "hotfix" is ready, or to put it another way, that what I paid good money for works properly.  I made a predicition that it would take about 8 more months before said "hotfix" is ready, basically a year after they announced it. 

Does anyone remember the video a different frustrated user made where they burned and demolished their keystep and posted the video?  Youtube must have taken it down or it was hosted elsewhere, I forget.

Otherwise I'm chill.  I have a ton of gear that all works properly and I'm in heaven when I'm in my music room.

knasser

• Apprentice
    • Synth Rev
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 08:41:21 am »
The MatrixBrute and the Pro 3 are very different synths, I'm guessing you switched because you found that the Pro 3 is more what you are looking for in a synth. The MB is a pure analog synth, while the Pro 3 is a hybrid, so of course you will have a large wave table to choose from. The MatrixBrute is multi-timbral,  I think the Pro 3 is mono-timbral. The MB modulation matrix is extremely simple to use and 100% hands-on no menus whatsoever. The MatrixBrute has three VCOs and two-sub oscillators. I can create a complex modulated fully analog thick sounding wall blasting patch in less than a minute. That is the power of the MatrixBrute. The Pro 3 is a mature great sounding synth, but it is a different category of synths, it is not fully analog.

Glad you found what you are looking for. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 08:59:41 am by knasser »
Please visit my page at https://www.synthrev.com/synths/arturia-matrixbrute.html and post a review. Thanks!

yeskeys

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 08:02:24 pm »
Hello Knasser,
I definitely rid myself of the MB because of its inability to sync to midi clock, and the fact that Arturia was completely ignoring the issue and issued two "hot fixes" that never even made mention of this bug.  What's more infuriating is that it used to work in version 1.0, and has been broken in every version of firmware 2.x
I knew exactly what I was buying when I got the MB but Arturia have proven they suck at customer service and are only getting worse.

The details are all in the thread entitled  "Arturia team, can you please make a statement on a possible update?" - which has over 50,000 views and dozens and dozens of pages dedicated to the specific bug in question.  That thread is in the same section of the website as this thread.

More subjectively, the MB sound I also find to be sub-par, a little muddy with very little definition in the top end.  Other issues such as certain functions of the step sequencer, used to modulate parameters, were limited to 2 values.  I could go on but I've wasted enough time on it already.

Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:13:48 pm by yeskeys »

knasser

• Apprentice
    • Synth Rev
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 11:51:47 pm »
Sorry if you're already checked this, but could it be the setting in the MCC under Device/MIDI Clock Source? I am thinking that the 2.x firmware changed/overwrote the saved value.
Please visit my page at https://www.synthrev.com/synths/arturia-matrixbrute.html and post a review. Thanks!

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 12:07:44 pm »
Sorry if you're already checked this, but could it be the setting in the MCC under Device/MIDI Clock Source? I am thinking that the 2.x firmware changed/overwrote the saved value.
In firmware v2 there's a requirement for a MIDI Start message before the arp and seq will sync freely when played from the keyboard, whereas in v1 no Start message was required. That's what this is about. "Everybody" agrees that the v1 method is preferable, and it's likely to be reinstated in the next FW.

In my setup, and a lot of others, it's actually hard to avoid getting a Start message since the sync master tends to send one when you start it, so it's not an issue for me in practice. I'm advocating for v1 behaviour though, since it's important for others.

bobfrode

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 06:44:45 pm »
I have both and i love them since they sound so different.
BUT...arturia releases the POLYBRUTE????.....damn....can i live without kidneys???
https://soundcloud.com/bob-frode
gear: matrixbrute, Korg kronos, Korg R3, EnsoniqTS12, MPC Touch with a few soft synths

knasser

• Apprentice
    • Synth Rev
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 08:34:00 pm »
The Polybrute sounds awesome, there are already a few YT video reviews. I own a MatrixBrute, and will definitely buy the PolyBrute as well, selling one of my kidneys too ;)

STM

• Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 07:06:36 am »
Polybrute is nice and I will probably get one.
Well, as the new poly is out maybe someone from the software dev team has some spare time to fix the sync issue of the mono? Please! ::)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines