March 28, 2024, 08:27:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Midi channel selection too slow  (Read 3530 times)

al80

Midi channel selection too slow
« on: May 02, 2020, 01:50:43 pm »
When i need  to change a midi channel i need to dive into menus and submenus.it is a very slow proccess and it is impossible to do that when i perfoming.please arturia fix this, it is so frustating .bsp and  the old keystep are very fast at this.
maybe select track first and then  control+step number could work to switch midi channels fast

« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 02:38:22 pm by al80 »

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: Midi channel selection too slow
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 02:53:38 pm »
Hi
This was one of the first features i asked for in testing, please send a support ticket asking for this feature as it will speed up the chance of getting this implemented

thanks
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

winddealer

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 02:38:32 am »
The Keylab keyboards and orignal KeyStep permit immediate midi channel selection directly from the front panel. 
Press the Midi Ch. Button and Keys C1-D2 select channels 1-16.  Interesting that this isn't supported on the "Pro" product.   
KSP, KS, KL61 MkII, VCol7, Faderfox EC4, Peak, Tyros4, Reaper

winddealer

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 05:11:55 pm »
When i need  to change a midi channel i need to dive into menus and submenus.it is a very slow proccess and it is impossible to do that when i perfoming.please arturia fix this, it is so frustating .
maybe select track first and then  control+step number could work to switch midi channels fast

Great idea!  ++  From the perspective of this being a "Performance" device and all the years of development experience with Keystep you'd think this would not be a topic to require Cases to be opened or a topic in a Forum.  I suppose the integration of a "metronome" is of higher priority than the ability to rapidly assign  midi channels during a performance without menu diving.  Mon Dieu!     
KSP, KS, KL61 MkII, VCol7, Faderfox EC4, Peak, Tyros4, Reaper

LarsDaniel

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 08:58:37 am »
Yes, please!
I was really surprised to see this buried in the menu, when it was such a immidiate thing on KS and BSP. Perhaps the developers did not realise that this was actually a feature, but only did so out of lack of display. But it IS indeed a wonderful feature, to have the ability to change midi channel at the touch of a button.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 08:35:32 pm »
Bumping for this request. Being able to switch midi channels for tracks easily using button/keyboard combos on the Beat Step Pro and Keystep have spoiled me. Please add this function to the Keystep pro so we don't have to menu dive to do it.

johndoe

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 09:08:36 pm »
Bumping for this request. Being able to switch midi channels for tracks easily using button/keyboard combos on the Beat Step Pro and Keystep have spoiled me. Please add this function to the Keystep pro so we don't have to menu dive to do it.

+1, I hate having to dive into the bloody menu every time!

tartpop

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 02:48:14 pm »
If this function got added, the ideal shortcut would be:
Shift+Control and pad 1-16

Grum

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 06:01:14 pm »
My suggestion would be hold a Track button 1-4 and press a Step button 1-16 to change channel.

When holding the Track button, all Step buttons would be unlit except the current channel, so it would also be a really quick way to check which channels are assigned to which track  :)

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 08:55:41 pm »
This is one of the big omissions in the Keystep Pro, when compared to the original  Keystep.  No way to quickly jump between midi channels, is a huge fail and this MUST be addressed, as soon as possible!

TheAnt2002

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 11:33:39 pm »
Need to save midi Chanel configurations on project basis to easily switch between setups..

Under midi channels menu, could have favourite settings which can be set in control centre..with custom names. Enable quick switching between setups e.g. daw to dawless

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 12:24:49 am »
My suggestion would be hold a Track button 1-4 and press a Step button 1-16 to change channel.

When holding the Track button, all Step buttons would be unlit except the current channel, so it would also be a really quick way to check which channels are assigned to which track  :)

I like this suggestion the most. It contains the least amount of button presses and the most amount of visible feedback. I hope it gets implemented like this.

al80

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 04:33:01 pm »
1.3.2. fixes this but i still think that the way bsp switching midi channels is better and faster

TuriBunny

• Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2020, 03:57:18 am »
Oh, man, have I understood this correctly? I've been really excited about this thing and planning to sell both my Beatstep Pro (can't input notes via an external keyboard, only via knobs... otherwise great!) and OG Keystep to help fund it, but on looking at close-up photos I couldn't see how to change MIDI channels on the fly...  :o

From reading these forums, it seems you have to go into sub-menus per-track and change it, but an update allows selection via a knob control, is that right?

I've assumed it would keep the good features of my existing controllers, ie. on-the-fly MIDI channel selection via Shift/Chan + key/button for channel!

Is there really no way to select a MIDI channel via simple key-press, without menu-diving or imprecise rotary knob control?

If so, I'm gutted! Until noticing this today I thought this thing was going to be perfect for me!

Any plans to add this in a further update?

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2020, 12:36:38 pm »
Oh, man, have I understood this correctly? I've been really excited about this thing and planning to sell both my Beatstep Pro (can't input notes via an external keyboard, only via knobs... otherwise great!) and OG Keystep to help fund it, but on looking at close-up photos I couldn't see how to change MIDI channels on the fly...  :o

From reading these forums, it seems you have to go into sub-menus per-track and change it, but an update allows selection via a knob control, is that right?

I've assumed it would keep the good features of my existing controllers, ie. on-the-fly MIDI channel selection via Shift/Chan + key/button for channel!

Is there really no way to select a MIDI channel via simple key-press, without menu-diving or imprecise rotary knob control?

If so, I'm gutted! Until noticing this today I thought this thing was going to be perfect for me!

Any plans to add this in a further update?

Correct. You cannot hit shift, plus one of the first 16 keys, to change the channel. How it works now, is you press and hold the track button in question and while holding that, you turn the encoder knob found by the little LCD screen, to the channel you want. You can do this for any of the four tracks.  Before the update, it was driving through the utility menu, which was far worse.

I too would like to see a further refinement to this, but I do believe this is how it is going to stay.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines