April 27, 2024, 01:18:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Please please help - I need my pads to trigger cc message!  (Read 3184 times)

Jameslondon74

• Apprentice
Hi all, I really hope this is possible.

I've tried various options in the Midi Control Centre, but can't seem to get this working.

I want to use my pads to trigger CC messages, NOT notes. I am using an app that allows an ableton style scene change, and it uses Midi CC numbers to trigger the changes. (MM-1 MuteMaster).

But I can't seem to get the pads to send CC. They only send notes.

Help!
Thanks

LBH

Re: Please please help - I need my pads to trigger cc message!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 08:17:58 pm »
hi,

It look like Minilab MKIIs pads can be set to Switched Control as Mode in Midi Control Center, and use pads as simple buttons.

You can set the midi CC, the Off and On value - and have Gate and Toggle as options.

I don't know, if that is enough for you.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 08:20:29 pm by LBH »

Jameslondon74

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 08:51:33 pm »
hi,

It look like Minilab MKIIs pads can be set to Switched Control as Mode in Midi Control Center, and use pads as simple buttons.

You can set the midi CC, the Off and On value - and have Gate and Toggle as options.

I don't know, if that is enough for you.

I set the pad to switched control, toggle, and gave it a number.
When I use it with the app, it still plays a note and doesn't send a CC number instead.

Is this broken/bugged?

LBH

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 09:09:01 pm »
FYI - I don't have a Arturia controller.

If you are in Memory #1, then that might be the reason. I don't think you can alter that memory, as it according to the Minilab MKII manual is used for Analog Lab.

Jameslondon74

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 11:48:51 pm »
FYI - I don't have a Arturia controller.

If you are in Memory #1, then that might be the reason. I don't think you can alter that memory, as it according to the Minilab MKII manual is used for Analog Lab.

That’s a good guess, but no. I’m in memory 2.
I honestly think it’s not possible.

Is there anyone from Arturia or with a minilab mk2 here who can help me? I will be so disappointed if I can’t use my pads as cc triggers.

FYI I’m using AUM so is there a way to convert the messages the pads do send (notes) into something usable?

LBH

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 12:30:48 am »
Have you checked if minilab output the midi cc messages you set? There are toolls that can show the midi output.
If you are on Windows you can use this: http://www.midiox.com/

Also are you sure you have set up your controller correct in Live?

Minilab MKII has a memory set up for Live. Does that work?

And can you control plugins with midi cc using encoders?

It will be strange, if Midi CC does'nt work, when the settings is in MCC. But perhaps the thing you need to do requires more than an on/ off message? Can you do what you wan't using an encoder?

Just some ideas to troubleshoot.

Please keep in mind, that you can contact Arturia support through your account.

Jameslondon74

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 08:22:57 am »
Have you checked if minilab output the midi cc messages you set? There are toolls that can show the midi output.
If you are on Windows you can use this: http://www.midiox.com/

Also are you sure you have set up your controller correct in Live?

Minilab MKII has a memory set up for Live. Does that work?

And can you control plugins with midi cc using encoders?

It will be strange, if Midi CC does'nt work, when the settings is in MCC. But perhaps the thing you need to do requires more than an on/ off message? Can you do what you wan't using an encoder?

Just some ideas to troubleshoot.

Please keep in mind, that you can contact Arturia support through your account.

Thanks for your help but I’ve tried a lot of that.
Firstly I’m not using Live, I’m using AUM / MM-1 Mute Master on the iPad. It uses 6 buttons to trigger channel muting in AUM.

The minilab is working fine in every other app. I can even use an encoder to send cc when the app is set to midi learn. It’s just the pads that I can’t seem to get right,

I also tested the pads in other apps, and there they also play notes instead of triggers.

Ideally, I’d like to know if this is even possible, is it possible on other Arturia pad-featured equipment?

yes I may have to get in touch with Arturia directly. Thanks.

Jameslondon74

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 02:31:04 pm »
SOLVED.

I read the manual again and noticed 9-16 on the default memory slot sends CC messages. I tested this and it was true.
So I used Midi Control Centre to find out what was going on, and I discovered the pads have to be set to KEYBOARD under midi channel. WTF?!

LBH

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 06:08:20 pm »
At least you got it to work afterall. That's good.

Did you have set the pads on other midi channels than midi channel 1?
Is Keyboard set to midi channel 1?
If yes to both the above questions, then the Live controls you wan't to control might only recieve Midi Channel 1 midi CC messages.

Also it can be about midi channels setting in Live.

I don't know.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 06:18:00 pm by LBH »

Jameslondon74

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 07:30:27 pm »
At least you got it to work afterall. That's good.

Did you have set the pads on other midi channels than midi channel 1?
Is Keyboard set to midi channel 1?
If yes to both the above questions, then the Live controls you wan't to control might only recieve Midi Channel 1 midi CC messages.

Also it can be about midi channels setting in Live.

I don't know.

Live? Do you mean Ableton Live? I'm not using that. I'm on iOS using AUM and MM-1 Mute Mapper.

I had to set pads to 'keyboard' instead of a midi channel (it's the last of the options when you scroll down the menu, past the channel numbers 1-16). I have literally no idea what 'keyboard' means. But it worked.

LBH

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 07:53:26 pm »
I had Ableton in my mind, but you wrote Ableton style. Sorry.

I think Keyboard mean, the midi channel you have set the Keyboard to - The Master midi channel.  Meaning the midi channel follow that channel if you set a controls midi channel to Keyboard.

Beside you don't use Live, then the things about midi channel i wrote might be the same.

EDIT: Actually you can read it in section "4.8.1. MIDI Channel settings" in the Minilab MKII manual. EDIT END
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 09:50:31 pm by LBH »

Jameslondon74

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 11:22:08 am »
I had Ableton in my mind, but you wrote Ableton style. Sorry.

I think Keyboard mean, the midi channel you have set the Keyboard to - The Master midi channel.  Meaning the midi channel follow that channel if you set a controls midi channel to Keyboard.

Beside you don't use Live, then the things about midi channel i wrote might be the same.

EDIT: Actually you can read it in section "4.8.1. MIDI Channel settings" in the Minilab MKII manual. EDIT END

You're right, it does discuss 'keyboard' settings, but in my opinion this is poorly designed. I had the MIDI channel set correctly and it still didn't work. This seems to be unique to pads only. Although I may be wrong about this.

I got there in the end. But not particularly impressed with how difficult this was.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines