March 28, 2024, 02:05:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: This keyboard is a joke full of bugs, better call it "keystep TOY"  (Read 9716 times)

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
Re: This keyboard is a joke full of bugs, better call it "keystep TOY"
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2020, 11:46:02 am »
Hello guys.

Sorry to read that you encountered some issues that slipped through the test / beta test.
We are actively working on the KeyStep Pro, so any bug report is welcome.

Would it be possible to report them to the support team team? https://www.arturia.com/support/askforhelp/issues
This way these will be duly referenced which will help us troubleshoot and prioritise the bug fixes.

By the way, a new update is scheduled for mid may !

Best regards

Edouard
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:51:52 am by Edouard_Arturia »
DGDGDGDGDG

Wildhomenetwork

• Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 12:52:11 pm »
Hi guys.

Another bugs :
The first step when you run the sequencer doesn't send the gate datas... !

The copy function are buggy as ever : whenever i copy a pattern, it give my some "ghost steps"... (lit, but any data in it, can't change any data on it, i have to rec something on the track for remake the step usable : any "ghost steps" are still litt but like "null steps" with any record in it, but now i can change it.)

I found some flaws in some of my accusations :

The time division issue are well connected to some sync issues. it seems that i have to power off the KSP to have the pattern time division stop being buggy... (even when i desync, the bug is still here until i power off)

For the "triplet" steps on a binnary track, you can do it with use more than one track per inst. It's a pain to rec and edit, but it works. This is just REALLY not userfriendly...

Hello Edward, i making my answer for the support, but they told me to make some video, and when i want to demonstrate a bug, another one occur  ::) so it was hard to find the time to show propely one bug at the time.  ::)

Hello Johndoe,

here is my thought :
I saw that there is a lot of jitter with the usb cable : my clock in sync are running back and forth like hell (for example i set 64PM on my daw, and the KSP show jitter of 32.5 to 65.5, it's huuuge... i will try to sync my soundboard clock with the KSP when i'll have the good adaptater... can you send your experience when you recieve your midi soundcard ?

For your 2nd point, you have to set the gate encoder before playing your notes, when there is no selected step. There is no global change after, or change of multiple selected step (and this is uncool)   

johndoe

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 01:00:13 pm »
Hello Johndoe,

here is my thought :
I saw that there is a lot of jitter with the usb cable : my clock in sync are running back and forth like hell (for example i set 64PM on my daw, and the KSP show jitter of 32.5 to 65.5, it's huuuge... i will try to sync my soundboard clock with the KSP when i'll have the good adaptater... can you send your experience when you recieve your midi soundcard ?

For your 2nd point, you have to set the gate encoder before playing your notes, when there is no selected step. There is no global change after, or change of multiple selected step (and this is uncool)   

Thanks, very interesting. Which adapter you need for your setup, you mean USB to Midi adapter? Yes I'll debrief you after receiving my Midi audio interface.

Re second point, this is very uncool indeed if Step Recording Mode doesn't allow global step gate change setting, or change of multiple selected steps - I'm going to bring this specific point to the support team.

Wildhomenetwork

• Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 07:42:20 pm »
* My sound card not soundboard.

I have a Clock out in BNC in my soundcard, so i have to find a way to link the BNC output of my Audient ID44 to the 1/4TRS jack input of my KSP to sync it all the stuff with my Audient. (because my daw is sync by USB with my AUDIENT, and the KSP sync with the DAW by Another USB, so i thinks it is the cause. Maybe your solution with a MIDI Sync will do the same job ! (and maybe better, i don't even know if i can send BNC ouptu Clock to 1/4TRS Jack Input without a process between the two...!)

So, I talked with the support, aaaaaand finally, I found that even if in utility => misc => firmware version it showed i had the latest version, it was not. Damn ! >:(
When i hard reset the KSP, it still show the last version (1.1.7. 473), but not the real one (aka the first one firmware send with the KSP 1.1.3 when you hard reset)

SO  :D
A lot of bug are already fixed, and it's really conforting me, because I was wondering why all this is happening to me.
The main bugs with the record mode are left. There is still a lot, but it was really the worst angering me the most which have disappered with the last firmware upgrade.   

I'M SO RELIEVED ! :o

Hope the others bugs will be fixed and other features will be release soon !

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 10:17:56 am »
Hello.

Just stepping on the last message you sent:

I have a Clock out in BNC in my soundcard, so i have to find a way to link the BNC output of my Audient ID44 to the 1/4TRS jack input of my KSP to sync it all the stuff with my Audient. (because my daw is sync by USB with my AUDIENT, and the KSP sync with the DAW by Another USB, so i thinks it is the cause. Maybe your solution with a MIDI Sync will do the same job ! (and maybe better, i don't even know if i can send BNC ouptu Clock to 1/4TRS Jack Input without a process between the two...!)

Sorry WildHomeNetwork, but an audio interface BNC port is made to carry world clock to sync your audio interfaces together, but it is not made to carry MIDI clocks :)

Here the jitter induced in USB can be related to your computer (Windows computers are more subject to jitter) and to the programs running in background.
If you are using Live, this great article can help you understand the in and the outs of MIDI sync: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/midi-fact-sheet/

With the drum sequencer, we can't have (for exemple) a binary beat with some triplet hit-hat added. Goodbye all of the hip hop based drum pattern, good bye, possibilitie of add some triplet break at the end of your binari beat !

You can shift any note to your convenience, plus you can record unquantized so this should be achievable  :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 10:24:10 am by Edouard_Arturia »
DGDGDGDGDG

johndoe

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2020, 02:14:05 pm »
Hello guys.

Sorry to read that you encountered some issues that slipped through the test / beta test.
We are actively working on the KeyStep Pro, so any bug report is welcome.

Would it be possible to report them to the support team team? https://www.arturia.com/support/askforhelp/issues
This way these will be duly referenced which will help us troubleshoot and prioritise the bug fixes.

By the way, a new update is scheduled for mid may !

Best regards

Edouard

Mid-May huh? Saw this coming, won't be an update before weeks...

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 04:27:32 pm »
Hello.

We had a release candidate but some regressions have been spotted and requires some additional work.
We want to bring the update asap, but we want to make it right and without any regressions !

DGDGDGDGDG

johndoe

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 05:09:53 pm »
Hello.

We had a release candidate but some regressions have been spotted and requires some additional work.
We want to bring the update asap, but we want to make it right and without any regressions !

Thanks Edouard, I appreciate your answers here to keep us to date.

That said (and it's not your fault) I'm amazed that a product of this value, with such a brand, engineer team and past product development history behind, still cannot get properly stable and glitch-free at this stage. The KSP was presented almost 6 months ago and it seems like it won't get a first fix update before June, and probably not the other improvements before 2021. I have never seen something like this in my life as a customer, and everyone at Arturia seems to consider this timeframe and release procedure as standard, instead of pre-sale beta testing and feedback. I will certainly re consider purchasing Arturia hardware products in the future.

Nice day.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:11:41 pm by johndoe »

Hamish Mcchlery

• Apprentice
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2022, 12:59:33 pm »
Yep, full of bugs, am beginning to consider going back into the box so I can actually make some music instead os sitting in studio scratching head!

raspy135

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2022, 06:29:12 pm »
With the latest firmware, I still have many bugs, on top of occasional hangs:

- MIDI OUT velocity output was totally messed up one time. Confirmed by USB MIDI message monitor and Monitoring MIDI OUT signal. It was sending illegal MIDI messages. The issue fixed by setting velocity curve setting.

- Messing up of MIDI CC# assignment. Sometimes suddenly MIDI CC# controller assignment is reset by project loading. Controller assignment is global setting so it should not be affected. When it happens, MIDI CC number and adjustable range becomes weird (Min is around 50 and Max is around 60). I need to reconfigure it (or reload setting from PC).

sawtoothwave

• Apprentice
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2022, 05:28:12 am »
Is another firmware in the cards for this product? Like the other posters in this thread, I also find mine to be full of bugs —an amazing product based on the promised feature set, but in practice, really frustrating. It sends occasional phantom clock and reset pulses when it’s stopped; the clock doesn’t start cleanly every time; sometimes it drops a step while looping sequences i’ve recorded and they get out of sync… all sorts of things that are inconsistent and unpredictable and make it very hard to rely on the KSP for live performance. It’s very disappointing because there’s nothing else out there that does what the KSP claims to, but it really feels like this still in beta.

tartpop

• Apprentice
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2022, 03:33:51 pm »
Is another firmware in the cards for this product? Like the other posters in this thread, I also find mine to be full of bugs —an amazing product based on the promised feature set, but in practice, really frustrating. It sends occasional phantom clock and reset pulses when it’s stopped; the clock doesn’t start cleanly every time; sometimes it drops a step while looping sequences i’ve recorded and they get out of sync… all sorts of things that are inconsistent and unpredictable and make it very hard to rely on the KSP for live performance. It’s very disappointing because there’s nothing else out there that does what the KSP claims to, but it really feels like this still in beta.

I would like to know this as well. Last update was 1 year ago in June 2021. Is a final firmware update in the cards Arturia?

+1 to the max, unbelievable there hasn't been a peep.

sawtoothwave

• Apprentice
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2022, 12:32:47 am »
In my latest session alone, my KSP:

1) ignored my efforts to turn on the Ch 2 arpeggiator entirely, until I powered cycled the KSP
2) [once I power cycled it] played the arpeggiator 2x as fast (and with triplets on) as it did the last time I had it on (same project, same settings, just played back differently)
3) inserted notes I never played into the arpeggio—some of which weren't displayed in the arpeggio indicator LEDs and some of which were.

This is in addition to all the bugs I mentioned in my previous post with regard to the clock and the sync.

I can't even imagine how frustrating this kind of unpredictability is to KSP users who 1) are professional musicians rather than hobbyists like me, and 2) have spent more time learning the deeper features on the KSP than I have, expecting it to be a central part of their live rig. Even for me, I started today's session planning to perform and record a live set, and I ended it right here, posting this message. Not exactly the creative path I was hoping to travel!

I hope some folks from Arturia are reading this thread and can provide some follow-up. IMO, it's totally understandable for a tool as complex and multifunctional as the KSP to have bugs... but this long after release—and especially almost a year after the most recent firmware update—I'd expect to be seeing edge-case bugs, not deal-breaking, show-stopping (sometimes literally) bugs. It's hard not to feel taken advantage of, as a customer, to have purchased in good faith a piece of equipment that was billed as something I could use as the brains for my entire rig and have it fail in so many fundamental ways.

I'd really appreciate if someone from Arturia could provide some feedback about the current and anticipated state of support for the KSP so I can make an educated decision about whether I can justify continuing to pour my limited time and energy into this instrument. Thanks.

ffernandez

• Apprentice
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2022, 07:54:16 pm »
I reported similar issues with arpeggiator on August 2021...opened 2 tickets with support, both with the same reply "we are working on it". Sure doesn't feel they are working on it, it's been 10 months! There hasn't been an oficial response on the forum for a long time. However, they keep launching new products, so you can see where the development efforts are going.

sawtoothwave

• Apprentice
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2022, 05:50:55 pm »
To update: I emailed Arturia and received a response that they are in fact working on a firmware update, but they couldn't share with me the expected timeline or the expected contents.

I find it encouraging that the product supposedly isn't yet abandonware, but disappointing that they won't share any more details, especially with customers who already made a purchase and are frustrated that the product doesn't live up to what was promised. I asked them to share that frustration uphill with management (who knows if they will or if management cares) but if you feel like emailing and expressing similar sentiments, maybe it'll have an effect.

Anyway, fingers crossed there's another update someday that actually does smooth things out.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines