March 28, 2024, 04:00:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Portamento and Legato  (Read 4955 times)

CarvinAbuser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Portamento and Legato
« on: June 10, 2021, 01:51:42 am »
How do I switch between mono, legato and poly? Also, I tried to add portamento using the main lag settings, but it has no effect. Any help would be appreciated.

LBH

Re: Portamento and Legato
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 03:09:43 am »
Hi,

The playmodes is set in ZONES in the VOICE section. Please study the this.

To create Portamento you use the LAG generator.
Choose KEYBD as input for the LAG and set the rate. There are 3 settings beside this where one is LEGATO.
To make the LAG work on the Pitch you activate LAG for the VCO independently in the PAGE2 section. This will create a Glissando. If you deactivate the KEYBOARD for VCOs in the same section, then you get a smooth Portamento.
Please study all this as well.

Hope this helps.

CarvinAbuser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 01:50:59 am »
Thank you for the response. I figured out the portamento, but I still don't understand how to change the playmode.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 06:10:32 pm »
Hi,

Your welcome.

I still don't understand how to change the playmode.
Do know where to find the Voices page?

You have some Poly and some Uni(son) settings for each Zone in the "Zones" section. Unison is also Monophonic. Click the text in the "Mode" column to change the mode. Keep in mind that you can use from 1 voice (Mono) to 12 voices (Unison) for a Zone. You have 12 voices in total for all the Zones.
Voices can be activated/ deactivated one by one by cliking the voice Play activity lights in the Voices section on the Voices page.

Have you consulted the manual? There are many infos.

CarvinAbuser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 10:44:36 pm »
When I click the text in the mode column I get the following choices.
Rotate
Reassign
Reset
Uni-Low
Uni-High
Uni-Last

LBH

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 11:11:45 pm »
Yes. So that was it?

CarvinAbuser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 05:35:47 pm »
The manual doesn't say much about legato. Should be an easy concept, but confusing for someone new to synths, like myself.

LBH

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 06:51:54 pm »
Legato is a simply a playing style. It does'nt tell about a certain thing shall happen, when you play legato, like you seem to think.
What do you exspect to happen, when you play legato? If there was a Playmode named "Legato", then what would you exspect to happen, when that was choosen?

We allready covered the Legato option for the Lag generator.  And the Lag generator is used to create Portamento in Matrix 12.

Are you sure you are not talking about trigger/ retrigger, when you say legato? And if so, what to trigger/ retrigger?
Please keep in mind, that you have quite detailed options for many things in Matrix 12, that many other synths does'nt have.

Perhaps it's because you read about the wrong things in the manual, that you can't find informations. It can be a good idea to read the full manual, especially when a synth have many possibilities. You might even be inspired and learn about things, that you never have heard about or understood before. This informations can perhaps also be useful to understand other synths.
Matrix 12 V2 also have build in tutorials that among other things cover the advanced panels.
I'm not saying that the manual could'nt be better, but there are descriptions of the parameters.
Beside that, then sometimes you also have to spend some time to exsperiment to understand it and/ or get a feeling about what happens.
That's why i encourage to study and to exsperiment. This also will lead to learning by doing.

Feel free to ask further. But please be more detailed and describe the functionality you are looking for.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 07:09:36 pm by LBH »

CarvinAbuser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 05:55:53 pm »
Thanks again for the assistance.  I'm reading the manual and other resources.  I'm learning more about modes and note priority now.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines