April 23, 2024, 10:25:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Minilab mkII vs. Reaper  (Read 7104 times)

Dave the guitarman

• Apprentice
Minilab mkII vs. Reaper
« on: April 27, 2020, 12:00:00 pm »
Hello,

I'm a guitarist, but I just bought a Minilab MkII, just to be able to add some keyboards to the songs I'm writing and recording.
I'm working with Reaper 6.0 on an ASUS laptop (Windows 7), with a Line 6 UX2 as interface.

I setup the Minilab, following instructions on the Arturia website and downloaded Analog lab and MIDI control center
and all was well: I can play the sounds and change parameters, monitoring goes automatically through the UX2.

The problems start when trying to use Reaper.

- When I try to enable the Minilab as a MIDI device, I get an error message saying that the MIDI input can't be opened.
- This message does not appear when Analog lab is not running, but I still don't get anything (no sound, no levels) in Reaper when arming a track for recording.

I looked at settings in MIDI control center and Analog lab, but couldn't identify the problem.
I also searched this forum for the same problem, but could not find anything similar.

That makes the Minilab and all the great sounds in Analog lab pretty much useless for recording.

I hope someone here can help me out! Would be greatly appreciated.

LBH

Re: Minilab mkII vs. Reaper
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 01:32:07 pm »
Hi and welcoem to Arturia forums.

The problems start when trying to use Reaper.

- When I try to enable the Minilab as a MIDI device, I get an error message saying that the MIDI input can't be opened.
- This message does not appear when Analog lab is not running, but I still don't get anything (no sound, no levels) in Reaper when arming a track for recording.
Have you set up your controller to use for Reaper inside Reaper?

Do you open Analog Lab outside Reaper or inside Reaper as a plugin?

Do you know how to use Reaper?

Do you know about the difference between Midi recording and audio recording.

I don't have a Arturia controller, so i can't help in details, but your issues seems to be about setup and/ or usage.

Dave the guitarman

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 02:59:07 pm »
I've been using reaper for a few years, but I'm in no way an expert.
I did some multitrack recording with my band, but I mostly work at home,
where I record guitars and bass through the Line 6 stuff and program drums
with the internal MIDI keyboard in Reaper with EZdrummer as plugin.

But this is my first time working with an external MIDI keyboard.
I have watched this Reaper tutorial on how to setup a MIDI keyboard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmEy49PH9p8
When I follow those steps (with Analog lab not running) and enable the keyboard as MIDI device, the keyboard is not available in my input section and does not appear at the bottom of the screen like is shown in the tutorial.
As for Analog lab, I have searched my plugins but cannot find it.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 07:24:26 pm »
I don't use Reaper.

I have watched this Reaper tutorial on how to setup a MIDI keyboard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmEy49PH9p8
When I follow those steps (with Analog lab not running) and enable the keyboard as MIDI device, the keyboard is not available in my input section and does not appear at the bottom of the screen like is shown in the tutorial.
At what time excactly in the video? And where excactly in the picture?
Do you have Minilab MKII connected to your computer with the USB cable? Besure to have that.

Be sure you have installed Analog Lab correct, and be sure Reaper read the paths for the plugins.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 07:29:39 pm by LBH »

Dave the guitarman

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 09:06:41 am »
I don't use Reaper.

At what time excactly in the video? And where excactly in the picture?
Do you have Minilab MKII connected to your computer with the USB cable? Besure to have that.

Be sure you have installed Analog Lab correct, and be sure Reaper read the paths for the plugins.

What I mean is around 4'00" in the video.

My problem is that the arturia doesn't appear in the inputs section (not in audio, not in MIDI)
The Arturia is connected with the USB-cable.

Is spent some more time reading this forum and found the VST-version of Analog Lab
and copied it to my Reaper plugins folder.
I can now find it and use it. When I arm a track and play the keyboard in the UI, I have sound.
So the only piece of the puzzle that is making the keyboard available in Reaper to control the plugin.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 01:50:29 pm »

My problem is that the arturia doesn't appear in the inputs section (not in audio, not in MIDI)
If you have set your Minilab MKII up as a MIDI device in Reapers preferences, then it should show up as a device. If it does'nt then i can't tell why it does'nt. If you have followed the setup instructions like you say you have, then i must assume, that Miniab MKII does show up as a device in Reapers Prefences. Is that correct?

Is spent some more time reading this forum and found the VST-version of Analog Lab
I can now find it and use it. When I arm a track and play the keyboard in the UI, I have sound.
I will not recommend you copy plugins and move them to other folders. If you does this, then you have to copy and move the plugin each time you get an update. I recommend you set the install path for your plugins, to the folders Reaper is set to read, so updates change the old plugin to the new automaticly.

Dave the guitarman

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 04:11:32 pm »

If you have set your Minilab MKII up as a MIDI device in Reapers preferences, then it should show up as a device. If it does'nt then i can't tell why it does'nt. If you have followed the setup instructions like you say you have, then i must assume, that Miniab MKII does show up as a device in Reapers Prefences. Is that correct?

I will not recommend you copy plugins and move them to other folders. If you does this, then you have to copy and move the plugin each time you get an update. I recommend you set the install path for your plugins, to the folders Reaper is set to read, so updates change the old plugin to the new automaticly.

OK, many thanks for your help!

Maybe I can try to de-install and the re-install everything.
If that doesn't work, I think it might be a Reaper problem.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines