March 28, 2024, 01:43:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: LFOs in free running mode, reset when pattern starts  (Read 1364 times)

errka

LFOs in free running mode, reset when pattern starts
« on: April 21, 2020, 10:37:49 pm »
Hi,

New to the forum. I've had the Minibrute 2S for a while now. It's my first analog synth and it's giving me a lot of fun and insights so far. There is one thing annoying me which I can't figure out if it's at all possible:

When the LFOs are in sequencer sync mode they restart when a pattern is started which makes total sense. A cool thing is if the pattern length is an uneven number of bars or notes and an LFO set slow enough that it doesn't complete a full cycle before the pattern end. For example if you keep a pattern running which is 3 bars long and an LFO is set to complete a full cycle in 4 bars, it'll be 12 bars until the LFO phase repeats itself on the first bar of the pattern. It's possible to achieve some slow varying sweeps this way which can be quite interesting. However this breaks when e.g. combining patterns into a chain, even repeating the same pattern over and over in a chain. When the chain is played back the LFO resets at the beginning of the pattern every time it is repeated, as it would if started from a stopped state. Is there any way to stop this so that the LFOs are not reset when playing back chains?

Also, what surprised me a bit is that the LFOs behave exactly the same when in free running mode, i.e. indeed their rates are not coupled to the sequencer BPM in free running mode and not quantized to halfnotes, quarters, eights, etc, but their phase is still reset when starting a new pattern in a chain. Is there any way to make them truly free-running?

OK, that's two things, or one and a half.

Any ideas? I guess if all else fails I can just get an external LFO and jack in into patch bay...

Cheers.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:42:12 pm by errka »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines