April 19, 2024, 12:56:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Send program changes to external synths.  (Read 7207 times)

Blackhawkamps

Send program changes to external synths.
« on: April 21, 2020, 01:29:00 pm »
I’ve been Over and over the manual and I can’t find how to send program changes to my synths to change the preset when a scene/chain/pattern is loaded. In fact I don’t see anything about program change messages.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: Send program changes to external synths.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 10:38:53 am »
Hi
The KSP cannot send program change message from the change program or pattens,  this may be possible in a future update though.
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

roden

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 10:35:44 am »
not even on Control mode?
What about the BeatStep Pro can you there?

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 12:54:15 pm »
not at the moment
I have requested program change to midi out as a feature but it may take a long time to implement as there are so many features already in the pipeline.
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

winddealer

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 02:06:40 am »
That is a huge oversight to not permit setting of MSB/LSB and PC per channel per sequence.  I'd expect to be able to change a patch within a sequence. Dumb.   
KSP, KS, KL61 MkII, VCol7, Faderfox EC4, Peak, Tyros4, Reaper

crashed_wave

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 03:14:56 am »
not even on Control mode?
What about the BeatStep Pro can you there?
You can map any step button or pad on the Beatstep Pro to send program changes. USe the MIDI Control Center software!

Toonook

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 06:30:47 am »
Yeah, this is my biggest disappointment with the KSP...

Burtrola

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 12:04:30 am »
You can map any step button or pad on the Beatstep Pro to send program changes. USe the MIDI Control Center software!
[/quote]

If you assign to these with the software:

1) Do you have to do that for every patch? (Connect to a PC all the time?)
2) DO you have to physically press the button/pad to send the PC or could it be triggered as part of the sequence?

Came here because I am putting a rig together and want to incorporate guitar loopers in my sequnces. To do this I need to be able to trigger different loops once PLAY has started. Seems like a pretty straight forward thing to do: Change a program and then execute a sequence. So am surprised to hear KSP cannot do this out of the box. Thanks in advance for any help/insight.   

vrpeter1@gmail.com

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 11:20:16 pm »
Seriously??  I have to stop making assumptions about standard features that don't exist in hardware I buy.   I have a large studio and synths may be up to 50 feet away from the ksp.  I guess I have to run as fast as possible and manually change the patch on the synth  Unbelievable! 

There's not even an Arturia to Arturia program change eg from KSP to MatrixBrute?

I have about a dozen controllers and this is the first one I've had that doesn't send program change messages.

Would anyone know if it's physically possible to merge two midi cables (one from the ksp and one from another controller that does program change) into the single MIDI IN on a remote synth?   Or is there some sneaky way that anyone knows of to send the ksp midi through a MOTU or iConfig and have the MIDI router convert some other message(s) to a program change message?

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 01:06:05 am »
What you want is a MIDI merge of some sort:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/2631/Keyboards/MIDI-Interfaces/MIDI-Solutions/Quadra-Merger.htm

MIDI is a data protocol so you sadly can't just physically connect two cables and expect it to merge the two MIDI data streams. 

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 08:47:02 pm »
I too am really feeling the pain of this shortcoming.  I also have a handful of external synths and have them setup as external instruments in Cubase and through the inspector, I very quickly and easily browse and load presets through this manner, by program change messages.  I can set tracks to the preset of choice and it will automatically be sent to the synths, upon loading the project, meaning everything is setup and ready to go, once I hit play.  This works perfectly with my previous Novation controllers, as well as just about any other controller I've owned, over the years.  With the Keystep Pro however, the program change messages change the pattern number on the KSP itself and never make it past this point and onto the synths.  I have to screw around manually assigning the patches in my synths, which is not a very quick and fun thing to do.

While I really like the ability to be able to change the patterns of the KSP, we really need to be able to control our synths as well.  I have been in contact last week with support on this matter and they agreed it is a neglect from the controller itself and nothing to do with us, or our setups.  I am really begging for this to be implemented in a future  firmware update, but so far, nothing has been concrete.

What really gets me, is how it isn't just program change messages, that don't make it through.  Have you tried to send any modulation data through to your synths? They too aren't sent.  Pitchbend data, modulation wheel data, aftertouch and midi CC, are also not sent.  This controller basically nerfs controlling external synths and its absurd.

callimero

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 11:05:59 am »
I tried MIDI Ox and other stuff to send Program Changes to KSP but no it does not change programms?!

Do I miss some settings?! I tried over USB and DIN-MIDI. All channels etc. (BTW where do I set the channel of the BSP?)

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 03:10:14 pm »
I tried MIDI Ox and other stuff to send Program Changes to KSP but no it does not change programms?!

Do I miss some settings?! I tried over USB and DIN-MIDI. All channels etc. (BTW where do I set the channel of the BSP?)

For me, it just works.  I found out by trying to send program change messages to my external synths and instead of that happening, the patterns on the KSP just changed instead.  Very useful to have this mind you, for putting together full tracks in a DAW, without having to worry about manually making pattern changes between 4 tracks, but I would like a way to send program change messages to my external synths too.

callimero

• Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 02:32:13 pm »
After some more tests:

Program Change sets the Patern on the specified MIDI channel from the track it uses.

Also saw that a Bank Change MSB loads the Project which is in the MSB+1

So I am a bit closer to my wish to make a simple microcontroller which can set up "Scenes" for me by loading a Project and setting patches for 4 Synths. Could be much more easy if I could it just attach at the MIDI In at the KSP but thats not possible (now?!) because it filters out mostly everything....

hrgraf

• Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 09:59:19 pm »
Hi, I have built a VST2 plug-in as work-around for this issue. It converts the Arturia default CC MIDI commands of the Preset knob to MIDI program changes.
Check it out at https://github.com/hrgraf/pizmidi and let me know if it works for you!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines