March 28, 2024, 05:03:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Mini keys??  (Read 1777 times)

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Mini keys??
« on: April 18, 2020, 10:21:09 am »
"When they eventually launch a pro version of the KeyStep, I sure hope it still has mini keys", said absolutely no one ever.

Don't you guys ever hold customer clinics ahead of major product launches, and if you do, did no one at all bring this issue up? I know I won't get a response from anyone who can actually give me an answer, but wtf were you thinking?
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
Re: Mini keys??
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 09:25:02 am »
Hello Major.
KeyStep Pro has been designed with a small form factor so it remains easily transportable.
Furthermore the feedbacks we received about mini keys was really positive.
Of course, you can still connect a master keyboard to it if key size is game changing for your use.
Take care & stay safe.
Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

tiddex

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 10:34:54 am »
The Keystep was such a big hit because it gave you more functions for your money by saving costs on keys.
A product of this price range simply can´t do everything.
If keys are your priority, you will always end up in the price range of a Novation mk3.
But for people like me, the reason why the sequencer and its capabilities are so important, is mainly because I suck at playing keys.  8)
I find keys more intuitive, I find my way around scales and chords, I need them to get where I want to. So HAVING some kind of keys is a priority. Playing fast piano runs and being super-expressive on a nice keybed is not, because stuff like that will never come out of my butcher-hands.

LarsDaniel

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 04:36:38 pm »
"When they eventually launch a pro version of the KeyStep, I sure hope it still has mini keys", said absolutely no one ever.

I know that this is not true. I am trying hard to keep my rig as portable as possible, and normal keys would have been a deal breaker for me.
How I see it, is that Keystep Pro is a sequencer, with the practical feature of a set of mini-keys. It is not a keyboard with a sequencer added to it.

Overand

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 04:22:12 pm »
How I see it, is that Keystep Pro is a sequencer, with the practical feature of a set of mini-keys. It is not a keyboard with a sequencer added to it.
Exactly this! I can imagine having it as a stand-alone device (ala beatstep) with MIDI in, but this is much better for me.

I do think you can look for alternatives with other companies - there’s an SL49 MKIII sale for refurbished ones right now - though that’s still more than $100USD over the price of a new KSP.

What’s nice about MIDI (and CV, and 24PPQ/whatever sync) is that everything can play nicely together! Yes, you might need to get a MIDI splitter (check tindie) or grab an old parallel-port MOTU Midi Timepiece on eBay and configure it via the front panel to split & merge MIDI. It’s all good!

konjurer

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 09:05:33 pm »
Yes, I was really dismayed at how small the mini keys were when I opened the box so I can relate.   However, I do have to agree that the keys are not the focus.  They work alright and I'm now use to them now. 

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines