March 29, 2024, 02:43:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: audible glitch when changing preset  (Read 1388 times)

mr.brand

• Apprentice
audible glitch when changing preset
« on: April 16, 2020, 01:49:30 pm »
Hi,

I have been using the demo version of Analog Lab 4 over the past few days to help me decide on whether to go for the full purchase.
My first impressions are the sounds are fantastic and the layout of the software pretty intuitive.
However; I came across an issue that causes an audible glitch – and I can repeat the glitch consistently.
Description:
•   Running  Ableton Live 10 (10.1.9)
•   Single drum kit track – playing (simple) drum pattern, on track 1
•   Analog Lab 4 VST plug-in – Preset “Naked Planet” on track 2
•   Whilst playing track; change “Naked Planet” preset to “American Init” – doing this causes Ableton to freeze momentarily (1 to 2 seconds) and 50% of the time causes an audible glitch (sounds like digital clipping)

I found the issue when trying out the sounds with an existing musical sketch I had. At first I thought it might be the number of tracks and effects that I had running. Or a power/performance setting on the PC or audio-interface.
Anyway; I’ve double-checked the settings of my PC and they are optimal for Ableton (followed their on-line guides). In addition; I have tried a number of configuration settings for my audio interface (Focusrite: Scarlett 4i4 (3rd Gen. – latest firmware/software)).
The issue occurs every time the American Init preset is selected from a non-piano preset. In fact when going to most of the piano presets from a non-piano preset the issue occurs. The only way I can prevent this from happening is by setting my audio interface settings to: sample-rate 44100 – note: at this sample-rate I can set the buffer size pretty much to anything and it will work correctly. 
It’s worth pointing out that the this issue doesn’t happen when going between any of the other presets (even when my audio interface settings are at: 96000kHz / buffer 128) – although I haven’t tried all of the 6000+ preset…

With the above in mind is this the performance that I should expect when using the plug-in? Is there something I’m not doing or have not configured correctly?

Here are my PC details:
HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0017na
Operating system - Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Microprocessor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700F CPU @ 3.00GHz
System memory - 16 GB
Video - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660

Would really appreciate your help, so that I can make an informed decision on purchasing the software.

Kind regards

LBH

Re: audible glitch when changing preset
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 04:48:40 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

Are you saying that Ableton Live actually stops playing all tracks, when change a preset?
Or is everything staying in beat and playing on (no matter the freeze) except for Analog Lab 4 that make the glitch?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:53:14 pm by LBH »

mr.brand

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 05:33:27 pm »
Hi LBH,

Yes; Ableton Live actually stops playing all tracks (audio stops/glitches), but specifically when I change from a non piano preset to "American Init" as an example - can happen with other piano presets as well. I haven't heard this changing to another non piano preset.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 06:25:00 pm »
Analog Labs presets is using presets from the individuafull Arturia applications. There can be time differences in the load time between the different presets.

If there is a preset change glitch that's not affecting the whole DAW, then that perhaps will be fixed.

But i can't understand why your DAW stops playing. Look like it's about CPU priority in the DAW, when a preset is being loaded. A lower samplerate on your soundcard will free CPU ressources, so that's perhaps why you hear the glitch on a high setting.

My DAW Studio One 3 don't stop playing, even if the GUI is freezing. But i do get a glitch from Analog Lab, if i change presets with Analog Lab while the DAW is playing, and even on some presets no matter the DAW is playing or not.

I have Ableton Live Lite on a Laptop that's much slower than your PC. I have just tested, and i can confirm that it stops/ stutter. On 48KHZ, so this seem to confirm it's a CPU ressource and priority issue. (Off coarse the disk speed can have an impact too, if you have a slow disk.)

I don't know much about Live, so i don't know, if the priority can be changed. I also don't know if it's something the plugin coding can do anything about. It look like it's perhaps a DAW specific issue that the DAW stops playing, if there are missing ressources of some kind.
I suggest you contact and ask Arturia support.

I'm on Windows 10 version 1909.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 06:27:14 pm by LBH »

mr.brand

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 06:50:47 pm »
Thanks LBH... appreciate you taking the time to test on your setup...
I'll do as you recommend and contact Arturia support... I'll let you know if I get anywhere  :)

regards

LBH

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 08:00:57 pm »
Your welcome.

I'll let you know if I get anywhere  :)
Yes please.

Regards

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines