March 29, 2024, 09:08:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: V Collection 8  (Read 9697 times)

levets

• Apprentice
Re: V Collection 8
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2020, 04:48:25 am »
I only bought V Collection 7 LESS than a month ago.
Now I can upgrade to V Collection 8 in a "SPECIAL PRICE FOR ONLY 199 EURO" ????? >:( >:( >:( >:(
Do you think I'm crazy or money grows on trees ? ??? ???

I'm in the same boat. I think I'm just about 2 weeks into 7.

Many companies offer discounts to those who just purchased. I guess Arturia's not one of them.

levets

• Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2020, 05:12:09 am »
Charging for a point upgrade is new...  not 'normal'.  Only seen it once or twice in the past (Piano V, and Analog Lab IIRC).  Not happy about it, and hoping that Arturia reconsiders that model.  It would be great to get the Jupiter 8 upgraded version.  Otherwise.. V3 will sit on the sidelines, unused here.. until the next V Collection $99 upgrade price drop.

Jdoo - aren't you on Roland Clan?

Anyway, I just got VC7 2 weeks ago.

I was curious about Arturia's upgrade methods in the past - I had heard that they usually do a new release in the fall - and I waited for the black friday sale for 7 - so they'd probably actually be smart to release their next one after that time...

I did notice that some things were "V3" while others were "V" and some of the videos I've seen have obviously older versions the people are demonstrating.

Right now, it's not really worth it to me to upgrade as I'm still exploring most of these synths and having a blast. I've already got option overload so no need to add to it!

I'd upgrade if they had a D-50, or a Kawai K series, or E-Mu Proteus or something! I can see where people would go crazy about the Juno and the Vocoder, but not a big selling point for me (but I'm so happy I walked in on the Mellotron!).

The big one for me is the Ob-X - but the upgrade price is basically the standalone price for that, so I'll keep using the free one I have for now.

I was thinking that maybe what happens is they release a standalone, then after a year, it gets incorporated into the next V collection release, and maybe then they add a couple of other new synths to the V collection as well, while improving some others.

I was thinking since they have such good black friday deals that maybe they'd extend upgrade prices to their customers but honestly, if it was 200 USD, I could just probably buy it next black friday for 250 like I did VC7 2 weeks ago.

But 200 after I just bought it is insulting (I'm just throwing a figure out here, not sure of the actual price, but it certainly wasn't 50 bucks).

how long are the older versions supported - do they release bug fix updates - I'm seeing people with a lot of problems with VC8 already, so I wouldn't upgrade any until that's all fixed anyway. But wonder how they're going to support VC7 at this point?

Is there something that says what was improved in the Jupe and 73?

lunker

• Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2020, 05:29:57 pm »
I got a response from Arturia support suggesting that I try downloading the latest installer for the CS-80 from their download page (I had considered that yesterday, but wasn't sure if doing that might cause some other issue).

Before I did that, though, I decided to try the ASC one more time, even though I had tried it several times yesterday with no success.

Surprise! Not only did the CS-80 update install, but all of the other instruments I had already updated also reinstalled.  And now they GUI problems I mentioned are fixed!

Happy once again!  :)
Best Regards, Ernie "lunker" Lundqvist
V Collection 5/6/7/8/9, Pigments, FX Collection 1/2/3
MiniLab mkII
REAPER (non commercial license)
BDSM (Bad Dog Studio Musicians)

LBH

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2020, 06:05:29 pm »
Is there something that says what was improved in the Jupe and 73?
There are release notes in ASC telling some things. Also the product page tell something. There is'nt a compare list as such, but you can see for your self using the Jup-8 V4 demo version.

how long are the older versions supported - do they release bug fix updates - I'm seeing people with a lot of problems with VC8 already, so I wouldn't upgrade any until that's all fixed anyway. But wonder how they're going to support VC7 at this point?
Normally when a plugin is upgraded, then the bugfixes of the old one stopped, as the product probably will be considered discontinuet. I can't tell for sure, that's the case here, but unfortunately i think it's so.
Only Arturia can tell.

Where do you see this lots of issues with VC8 reported, beside install troubles?  I don't see many at the moment. Can't tell if more will come.

I did notice that some things were "V3" while others were "V" and some of the videos I've seen have obviously older versions the people are demonstrating.
Each upgrade have been getting a new number. V2 is first upgrade. V3 is second upgrade. And now the plugins that are V4 is the third upgrade.
I assume Analog Lab V does'nt have anumber because V is 5 in Roman numbers. So it's the forth upgrade. But usually V is initial release. Analog Lab usially have'nt a V in it's name.

LBH

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2020, 06:09:39 pm »
Is anybody else finding that in the new GUIs the buttons to step back and forth between presets are not displaying?  The buttons work (if you know where to click), but the buttons (or arrows or whatever) aren't displaying on my system.  The same for the button (X) that closes the right-hand tutorial window frame.
Hi lunker,

I have'nt noticed this. At least not yet. I have'nt spend that much time with the applications, at have'nt had all of them opened yet.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 06:37:56 pm by LBH »

lunker

• Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2020, 10:01:41 pm »
Actually, the GUI problem came back, but now I know how to replicate it.  I'm using Reaper (not sure if that is a factor or not, but worth mentioning just in case).  If I open the Analog Lab 4 VST2 first, then open the VST2 for any of the updated instruments, certain items are missing from the GUI in the new instruments.  If I don't open the Analog Lab 4 VST2, then the updated instruments don't have any GUI issues.  I haven't tried with VST3 yet to see if they have the same problem.

I ran into this because I have a Reaper template for Analog Lab.  Yesterday I opened that template with the intention of replacing Analog Lab 4 with Analog Lab V, and then saving it as my new template.  That's when I first noticed the GUI problem with Analog Lab V.  I tried opening several of the other instruments, and they all had the same GUI problem, so I mentioned it here.

Today after I re-ran ASC and re-updated everything, I opened Reaper and just opened a few of the new instruments without opening Analog Lab 4 first.  The GUIs were good, so I figured that re-running ASC had done something to solve the problem.

But thenI went to update my Analog Lab template (which I didn't complete yesterday, because of the GUI issues), and to my dismay, the GUI problems came back for Analog Lab V and all the other instruments I tried!

But when I quit/restarted Reaper, and loaded Analog Lab V or any of the other instruments (except Analog Lab 4), then the GUIs were fine.

So it appears that somehow Analog Lab 4 introduces some kind of library conflict/bug that causes problems with the GUIs of the other updated instruments.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 10:21:35 pm by lunker »
MiniLab mkII

LBH

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2020, 10:29:33 pm »
@lunker
I can actually reproduce the issue. It happens, if i load Analog Lab 4 in Studio One 3 on Windows 10, and then open new applications.
Will you report this to Arturia support?

lunker

• Apprentice
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2020, 10:31:08 pm »
Thank you for verifying the problem!

I just filed it as an update to the ticket I filed yesterday.
MiniLab mkII

LBH

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2020, 10:33:51 pm »
Great. Hopefully it will get fixed quite soon.

JDoo

• Beta-testers
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2020, 06:12:03 am »
Jdoo - aren't you on Roland Clan?
Yep that's me.   

Re: This update. It's the Jup-8 V4 that I was excited about.

I've been playing with the Jup-8 V4 demo -- and really love the timbres.. and the effects are way cool / better than earlier versions.  Arturia can probably drop this line "The options for stacking voices, one of the hallmarks of the Jupiter sound originally, are expanded beyond what the original hardware offered." from the manual though.  This has to be fixed.  Dual/Split are what set this synth apart.  In fact... this part from the earlier Jup-8V manuals -> "Furthermore, it was one of the first synthesizers that offered a keyboard split and layer possibility. In fact, the Jupiter-8 complemented its competition by bringing something different." should have set expectations.  You don't see a lot of newer versions of software 'lowering the bar' on functionality.   :-\

LBH

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2020, 04:27:17 pm »
Arturia can probably drop this line "The options for stacking voices, one of the hallmarks of the Jupiter sound originally, are expanded beyond what the original hardware offered." from the manual though.  This has to be fixed.  Dual/Split are what set this synth apart.
The sentence is about Unison voice stacking. It's not about Dual/ Split.

I agree that fully emulations of synths like JUP-8 and OB-Xa should have split and dual, as the originals had this.
However - Rolands own Jupiter emulation does'nt have it.

Perhaps it have become too difficult to do, or perhaps the thinking is, that there are Analog lab to stack sounds, and you also have more possibilities to stack in DAWs today.
I agree it's not the same.

That said, then if the sound is nailed, then if it has to be a choice, i rather have the time is spend on that, than on a dual split functionality, when you actually can stack sounds in other ways. You don't need to buy multiple very exspensive instruments anymore to create dual and split sounds. Jupiter-8 was exspensive, so a dual and split function could  perhaps save you from buying an extra synth. Keep in mind, that the originals did'nt have on board effects either. So effects was added after, and this can still be done, even if onboard effects may be a pro Dual/ Split function.

I think it's about pros and cons.

How is the sound compared to the original?

JDoo

• Beta-testers
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2020, 04:38:05 pm »
You neither need to explain the difference between stacking and Dual (minor) nor feel the need to apologize for Arturia.  I'm bringing up a capability that was in earlier versions of the Arturia emulation / software, not to mention in the original instrument that the software emulates.  Functionality was dropped, and it is a bummer.  Honestly LBH, you're not really a representative of Arturia.. you don't need to provide cover, or commentary on every post here, imo. 

In any case (Arturia, if you're listening)- it would be great if you can add the Split and Dual functionality back.  Thanks!

Joe

e13lad

• Apprentice
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2020, 05:41:44 pm »
REALLY REALLY annoyed as a V7 owner who then recently bought the OB-Xa V at 49.99 just months ago that the upgrade to V8 is 199.99. 

This is the same price as V7 owners who didn't spend the extra 49.99 on the OB-Xa V. I think Arturia should take this into account and offer a lower upgrade price as my upgrade will be less significant than a straight V7 to V8, as I have already purchased one of the items in the upgrade.

Most users will be getting updates and FOUR new instruments, I will only be getting THREE new instruments and have to pay the same price. Not exactly an incentive to buy new products

If this is how they do upgrades, I will NOT be buying any future new product releases again, what is the point when you are paying the same price as others for an upgrade which includes new instruments, one of which you have already paid for

I did email support yesterday about this but have not received a reply yet.

levets

• Apprentice
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2020, 01:46:50 am »
You neither need to explain the difference between stacking and Dual (minor) nor feel the need to apologize for Arturia.  I'm bringing up a capability that was in earlier versions of the Arturia emulation / software, not to mention in the original instrument that the software emulates.  Functionality was dropped, and it is a bummer.  Honestly LBH, you're not really a representative of Arturia.. you don't need to provide cover, or commentary on every post here, imo. 

In any case (Arturia, if you're listening)- it would be great if you can add the Split and Dual functionality back.  Thanks!

Joe

Does V4 not do split and dual like V3 does? The Orange buttons?

It's kind of nice to have at least 1 synth that's easy to split to play different things with each hand - sure I could just record them that way but for working out ideas it's nice to be able to get an idea of two sounds working together.

I mean it's just really convenient.

That's why I was curious because on some of the videos I watched with earlier versions, something about them would have a menu item or something and I'd be like "ooh, I don't see that" and after I went looking for it figured it was just in a different version.

It would really suck to get used to using a product and becoming really familiar with it, then upgrade, and find something you use regulary had been removed - that'd be like Roland releasing a new firmware update for the FA, charging you money for it, but only giving you 1 EXP slot because they "improved the GUI" or added some more Supernatural sounds or something.

JDoo

• Beta-testers
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2020, 03:20:06 am »
Hey Levets -

Yes.  I am able to recall my splits and layered AL4 patches, and see the layers and splits, and drag them around.  There's a button on the bottom of the GUI named "Keyb. Settings" with a Gear icon when I call up one of those patches. I havent gone through the manual at all.. but in the Library window, if I drag a second instrument to the right side (there is a box that says to drag presets here...), then the "Keyb. Settings" icon pops up at the bottom.  It allows you to set split points and other stuff, like the earlier versions did.

hth -

Joe

(I was moaning about splits/layers inside the Jup-8 new version :) )...

Joe

Does V4 not do split and dual like V3 does? The Orange buttons?

It's kind of nice to have at least 1 synth that's easy to split to play different things with each hand - sure I could just record them that way but for working out ideas it's nice to be able to get an idea of two sounds working together.

I mean it's just really convenient.

That's why I was curious because on some of the videos I watched with earlier versions, something about them would have a menu item or something and I'd be like "ooh, I don't see that" and after I went looking for it figured it was just in a different version.

It would really suck to get used to using a product and becoming really familiar with it, then upgrade, and find something you use regulary had been removed - that'd be like Roland releasing a new firmware update for the FA, charging you money for it, but only giving you 1 EXP slot because they "improved the GUI" or added some more Supernatural sounds or something.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 03:33:00 am by JDoo »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines