March 29, 2024, 08:01:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Spark LE - USB C - MacBook Pro - only 4 usb ports  (Read 1214 times)

AlwaysLearning101

Spark LE - USB C - MacBook Pro - only 4 usb ports
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:30:45 pm »
Hi there,
I have been getting back into music after a break for a few years.  So may great new hardware devices out there.  A lot of them are usb. 
The Spark LE, even by itself, does not appear to work with a usb hub. 
On my Macbook Pro, it has 4 usb C connections - and that is it!  One is being used for power, one for my second monitor, one for the audio interface, and one for external hard drive with all of my sounds that I've collected over the years.  The only way to add instrument(s) without taking away any of the above is with a hub!

How are you guys solving this problem?
And a follow up question to this will be about how to map usb devices so they can all talk back and forth with the computer/DAW without crashing into each other.
I am using Ableton Live 9 btw.

gphantom

Re: Spark LE - USB C - MacBook Pro - only 4 usb ports
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 03:48:52 pm »
One way to get around the problem is to use a Bluetooth adapter (if it's not included in the macbook) and use several devices (audio/hard drive) leaving you with one USB port.  You can then get a USB-C to USB-A (or is it USB-B) adapter.  There are also WIFI hard drives and adapters to plug in audio and card readers etc.

The problem with USB hubs is that they mostly split the transfers and so they switch between devices - This doesn't apply to controllers like Joysticks or other slow devices since they respond slowly to begin with.  May be the same for Audio and keyboards and mice.

Hope this provides some solution.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines