April 26, 2024, 12:58:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keyboard Quality  (Read 2240 times)

tsss27

• Apprentice
Keyboard Quality
« on: April 11, 2020, 01:24:02 am »
Hi,

I'm new here and really love the sound and capabilities of this synth. However I am a little concerned to buy one, because the only one I got to physically play had a very bad keyboard. It was very noisy (especially the black keys,) so that people in other rooms could hear it quite well. And when sliding down the black keys for glissandi it produced even more loud noises with really odd resonances. The keys were also very rattly and moved from side to side, so they felt very fragile. Lastly even with the setting adjusted to near maximum in the app, aftertouch took a lot of force to trigger at all.

I've read 1 or 2 other accounts like this, but most people don't mention the key-bed at all, good or bad. So I am posting here to see if my experience is due to a faulty unit or if this is just how the keyboard is. I am hoping the first, because it would be a shame to have a $2000 synth with a keyboard like what I played. I've tried out many other keyboards: DSI/Sequential stuff, Moog Subsequent37, some Kurzweils, Yamaha Motif XF6 and MOXF6, Roland Gaia and others. I never had a problem with any of those, though I prefer some over others. Any info, comparisons, etc are welcome.

guyaguy

• Apprentice
Re: Keyboard Quality
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 05:40:25 am »
It’s fine but not remarkable. A little clacky. Pressure is actually easier than on other modern keyboards I have.

Sounds like the one you tried had issues.

Processaurus

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 10:56:31 am »
My keyboard is fine, not my favorite but feels about the same as a Nord Lead I use. No complaints. No weird sounds. It’s the light, “synth action”. The only keyboard I have that I like better is a Novation Remote SL midi keyboard, it has some nice weight feel to the keys, like the original MS-20.  I’ve heard of people adding weight to the keys by gluing some pennies to the underside of the keys. Though if you added enough weight the keys would spring back slow, you’d maybe need to change the springs to something stiffer to compensate.

I wonder, is the Matrixbrute keybed made by Fatar?

endreola

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 05:24:08 pm »
The action on my MxB is fine as well.  Albeit not as nice as the weighted keys on JP-80, but works fine just the same.  I was a bit concerned about the Hydrasynth’s polyphonic aftertouch keybed but it closely resembles the action of the MxB which was satisfactory for my needs.

Perhaps consider replacing your keybed?

knasser

• Apprentice
    • Synth Rev
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 01:46:42 am »
My keyboard especially the white keys in my case produce the metallic resonant noise you are describing. Otherwise I do like to feel and playability of the keys.
Please visit my page at https://www.synthrev.com/synths/arturia-matrixbrute.html and post a review. Thanks!

Graham951

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 07:14:03 am »
The solitary console I have that I like better is a Novation Remote SL midi console, it has some decent weight feel to the keys, similar to the first MS-20. I've known about individuals adding weight to the keys by sticking a few pennies to the underside of the keys.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines