March 29, 2024, 02:58:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: beginner's plan of attack  (Read 3274 times)

yeiter

• Apprentice
beginner's plan of attack
« on: April 07, 2020, 04:57:01 pm »
Just bought the Arturia keylab 88 mkii alongo with Analog 4 and Ableton Live Lite and a couple other software deals....I can play the instruments but what I am having a heck of a time figuring out is how to integrate it all so that I can record, create loops, etc.     I am new to all of this and understand that there is a learning curve but could use some advice as to how best to chunk it out...where to begin and how to learn it all.  Any advice, websites, courses, welcomed!!

LBH

Re: beginner's plan of attack
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 05:46:16 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

Arturias instruments are just instruments. They in example does'nt record.

If you mean in Ableton Live, then i suggest you look in Ableton learning. Like this: https://www.ableton.com/en/live/learn-live/
And you can search the web.

yeiter

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 07:28:21 pm »
Yes I already viewed those tutorials but they do not address specifically how to integrate with the keyboard controller...simply put, how do I record and create loops.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 08:30:37 pm »
What do you mean by "loop"?
What do you mean by "integrate"?

Are you asking how to set your controller up for Ableton live to use the Keyboard in the DAW and to use the Transport bar on your Keylab to control the DAWs transport bar?

yeiter

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 10:17:13 pm »
Forgive me but this is a bit like learning a foreign language!   I guess the answer to your question is yes...but let me back it up a little.   Assume I know nothing about  the Arturia keyboard, the analog 4 and  ableton live software...where do I begin to learn this new language and eventually be able to compose and record music on several tracks as I used to do with my little tascam recorder 30 years ago.  I would like to play a bass line and have it get recorded and then play it back while I play along with it.  If I can figure out how to do that I will be eternally grateful!!!!!! 

And so from tabla rasa to expert, where do I begin and how do I baby step my way in to learning  this other than tedious trial and error which may be the only way, dunno?

yeiter

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 10:19:39 pm »
is there any way to  short cut or bypass the rather tedious high security questions etc. in order to simply reply?  major pain in the butt....

yeiter

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 10:21:42 pm »
ps...by loop I mean playing several notes or drum kit sounds and having it become a repetitive loop, same notes playing over and over while I play along...by integrate, I mean trying to understand how the keyboard controller relates to the analog and  ableton live software...

LBH

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 02:38:13 am »
First you need to setup your controller as a controller for your DAW. Have a look here: https://www.arturia.com/faq/keylabmkii/keylab-mkii-tips-tricks

Then also need to set the controller up to control instruments and effects. There you can have a look at the video "Setting up MIDI" here: https://www.ableton.com/en/live/learn-live/setup/
You can look at the videos "Setting up an audio interface" and if you need it "Configuring your audio ins and outs" from the same page, to set up you audio device.
Also learn about Ableton Prefernces in the video "Setting your preferences" also from the same page.

When this is done, then it's about learning how to use your gear for recording.
Videos from here is meant to help: https://www.ableton.com/en/live/learn-live/workflows/
That could be the videos: "Recording MIDI", "Capturing MIDI", "Sequencing MIDI, part 1", "Sequencing MIDI, part 2" and so on.

Ableton Live also have a manual here: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/welcome-to-live/

On this page you also find informations about certified training for Ableton Live: https://www.ableton.com/en/live/learn-live/
Beside that you can find lots of videos, tutorials and courses for Ableton Live and other DAWs on the web.

I also suggest you read in Arturis manual for your controller and MIDI Control Center (MMC) to learn about what the controller can do and how. You can find the manuals here: https://www.arturia.com/support/downloads&manuals

You need patience and use time to search info and to learn.
I don't know if Ableton Live is the best DAW for you, but that also depend on what you wan't to do. If you find it good to work with, then stick to it, otherwise perhaps try another DAW.

Have a good time.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 02:42:07 am by LBH »

yeiter

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 12:46:44 pm »
Awesome, thank you so much for detailed reply!!  I did decide to hunker down and start with the manuals, first for the controller (keylab 88) and then for the software Analog 4 as well as Ableton Live Lite.  So much of the manuals are gibberish to me (mapping, LFO rate, cutoff, etc.) but I am reading them thru for what i can understand the first time, and will probably have to read them several times and eventually struggle to understand the lingo a bit.   

Ableton Live Lite works for me now cuz it came with the bundle for "free".

I have looked at most of the videos you have recommended but after reading the manuals will go back thru them again...What I found in looking at the videos, even for beginners, there seems to be an assumption that the viewer already knows the language involved...I am an old hippie and I guess younger folks today who have grown up with computers and gaming devices etc. probably have an edge on me.

Again I appreciate all the work you did in compiling resources for me to move forward...it may just have to be a while before I understand enough to be able to hit a record button and have things work but the effort will be well worth while...the piano sounds and the feel of the Arturia 88 are freaking awesome.

Best wishes during these most interesting days - stay healthy!

HummerHealey

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 11:15:56 pm »
Do you use a Mac or PC?

yeiter

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 11:19:57 pm »
Do you use a Mac or PC?

mac...and right now I can not figure out how to get my sustain pedal working again!!...help!!

yeiter

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 11:23:04 pm »
sustain pedal window says Sus   Val: 0 but 127 when i step on it...and below in window it says CH : User   CC: 64

LBH

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 12:32:23 am »
sustain pedal window says Sus   Val: 0 but 127 when i step on it...and below in window it says CH : User   CC: 64
This is correct. So it's not in this the problem is. A use case is needed to troubleshoot.
What do you mean by "not working"?
If it work opposite, then you shall correct the settings so the Value is 0 when you step on the pedal, and 127 when you are not.
MIDI CC 64 is generel midi standard for Sustain Pedal.

yeiter

• Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2020, 02:13:19 am »
well I have been working on it and  I find that it works with some instruments in Analog 4 but not pianos...and in Piano V it does not work at all with pianos...when I say it does not work, when I press down on it, there is no sustaining the note.   It has got to be somewhere in the software...I suspect that it is something stupid ...I have not been able to find a clue in the manuals or going thru all the various software settings...I strongly suspect that Piano V is the guilty party but cant find the problem.

yeiter

• Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2020, 02:28:11 am »
it does not make sense to me but i opened up live and opened up a piano and the sustain worked...then I went back to piano V and now the sustain works there.  if I close out of live I lose the sustain????

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines