March 28, 2024, 01:27:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Clicky samples  (Read 3225 times)

manhippo

Clicky samples
« on: March 28, 2020, 03:13:48 pm »
So, I demoed the CMI V, loved it's old school low bit sampling vibe, bought it, and now I can't get anything to loop in it without dreadful clicks. Even on the forward and backward mode, click every time the playhead hits the start or end of the loop...

Wierdly, I didn't get this with the couple of samples I used while demoing. Are there any tricks to avoiding clicks? Type of content, sample rates etc? Manual isn't forthcoming

I can't help but think that this is one of those areas where Arturia could just opt to sprinkle a bit of modern fairy dust on the recreation? You've already made the sample memory way longer, put in adjustable rate etc that goes higher than the original. Looping clicks are hardly a 'vintage feature' that anyone is looking to have faithfully recreated. Just a simple toggle to turn on a tiny looping crossfade or similar would be excellent.

LBH

Re: Clicky samples
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 06:07:25 pm »
9 topics below yours: Improved sample looping: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=91882.0
Perhaps it's good to keep the same thing at one place?

HJB

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 11:27:58 am »
This is because Arturia tried to recreate the original instrument as good as possible.
The CMI Fairlight has the same issue. Which was already discussed back in the eighties in a series of articles in the Computer Musician magazine.
The trick is to carefully select the samples which you wil get to loop.
Short samples and samples with wild sounds don't serve to bring in a loop.

You can download the bundled articles here:
https://www.virtual-music.at/en/client/documents/fairlight_cmi_explained.pdf

HJB

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 01:56:11 pm »
What you see is when longer samples are used. It is easier to select loop points which don't result in a click.
Try for example to change the loop position en length in the Dirty Piano sample. It is easy to find different loop positions with clicks hardly unnotable. They appear only in the higher notes.

Maybe the programmers at Arturia can make smaller steps in future versions of the CMI V. That would make is easier to pick loop points with more corresponding wave positions and amplitudes in shorter samples

HJB

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 12:57:59 am »
Here I have to correct myself.
CMI V already has the option to finetune the startpoint and end point of the loop bounderies by pressing the shift key when adjusting.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines