March 28, 2024, 02:26:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: SOLVED - A couple of questions relating to using Keystep with Behringer Crave  (Read 4275 times)

Crumb$

• Apprentice
Hi,

I will always be a newb in this area so I appreciate the help.  I've just got a Behringer Crave and a couple of things are throwing me... 

1) Activating the sequencer or arpeggiator on the KS will reset the Craves Decay to zero/no decay.  I have to give the Decay a slight turn to get it back.  This might be something I've got to change in the Crave software of course...

edit; I've noticed that the record button also effects the Attack. 

2) Aftertouch on the KS is sometimes altering the sound.  I know it's supposed to but it's confusing to me for a couple of reasons. Firstly I don't know how to control it...it was happening earlier, now I can't get it to work.  Secondly, I'm new to modular synths and am trying to slowly get my head around making sounds, so when the aftertouch is affecting it I don't know what I'm affecting, if that makes sense.    I see I can change the way it is applied (in the software) but I'm not much the wiser.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 11:49:28 pm by Crumb$ »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Hi,

I will always be a newb in this area so I appreciate the help.  I've just got a Behringer Crave and a couple of things are throwing me... 

1) Activating the sequencer or arpeggiator on the KS will reset the Craves Decay to zero/no decay.  I have to give the Decay a slight turn to get it back.  This might be something I've got to change in the Crave software of course...

edit; I've noticed that the record button also effects the Attack. 

Arturia's sequencers all send MIDI CC's with the usual transport messages in their default state.  Factory settings will send a CC value with stop, play and record on CC51, CC54 and CC50 respectively.  The Crave uses CC50, 51 and 52 to control its envelope settings, so Attack and Decay are being remotely addressed by the use of the transport buttons on your KeyStep.
You can change the CC's they send in MCC (in device settings under transport).  For minimum interference with other instruments, use CC124 for them.  That is the MIDI CC message for "Omni Off" and unless you have something on your MIDI chain that you want to receive MIDI on all 16 channels, it will not change any crucial patch settings when sent.

2) Aftertouch on the KS is sometimes altering the sound.  I know it's supposed to but it's confusing to me for a couple of reasons. Firstly I don't know how to control it...it was happening earlier, now I can't get it to work.  Secondly, I'm new to modular synths and am trying to slowly get my head around making sounds, so when the aftertouch is affecting it I don't know what I'm affecting, if that makes sense.    I see I can change the way it is applied (in the software) but I'm not much the wiser.

Thanks!

Aftertouch is an "expression" controller and is generally sent on MIDI CC11 (often synths with an expression pedal input will assign CC11 to the input).  For expression data to have any effect on an instrument's sound, that instrument has to have MIDI CC11 mapped to a parameter.  Often it's sent to vibrato or amp level, but filter amount is also common (think wah-wah).
On the KeyStep you can set it to be sent also to the MOD CV output for use with a eurorack modular synth.  You can specify that it do this in MCC, again in device settings under CV/Gate settings.  The default is for Velocity to be sent on MOD CV, the other two options being Modstrip (Modwheel, MIDI CC1) or Aftertouch.

Hope all that helps!
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Crumb$

• Apprentice

Hope all that helps!

Yes, yes it did.  It was the Carlsberg of answers...

Thank you for a perfect explanation and for teaching me something here as well.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines