March 28, 2024, 02:38:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: *SOLVED*: Midi aftertouch weirdness: software or hardware problem?  (Read 1728 times)

olliraa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hi once again :)

Been enjoying my shiny new V Collection 7 and it's been a blast. Really impressive all the way I have to say :)

My main keyboard is Roland RD-64, but as it has a rather heavy hammer-action keyboard, I decided to dig up my trusty old Kawai K1 II from the eighties, which has a much lighter keyboard and feel. The Kawai has been sitting in the corner for years, but is powered up ok and seemed to work just fine. I then changed the midi cable from my Roland to the Kawai to test some Analog Lab 4 stuff.

I immediately noticed that there's a weird "pof" sound always when a key get's back up, e.g. the sound stops. I tried with different sounds, rebooted the computer and the Kawai, but it did not help. If I change the midi cable back to the Roland there's no "pof" there. Weird.

I presume it could be some midi after touch thing, but I've tried through all the settings the Kawai has (there really aren't that many as it's so old).

Would this ring a bell? What could cause this? Is my kawai broken?

The sound clip is attached.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:26:15 pm by olliraa »

LBH

Re: Midi aftertouch weirdness: software or hardware problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 01:43:34 pm »
Hi again,

Are the sound you use a sound from Arturias software or is it a Kawai sound?
Are you using the same sound for both your keyboards? You should.

Are you having the same velocity and outpt level with your controller? If not, then that perhaps make a difference.

The sound has fast release time, and that create puf when the gate is closing.

olliraa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 01:49:31 pm »
Hi again,

Are the sound you use a sound from Arturias software or is it a Kawai sound?
Are you using the same sound for both your keyboards? You should.

Are you having the same velocity and outpt level with your controller? If not, then that perhaps make a difference.

The sound has fast release time, and that create puf when the gate is closing.

Hi LBH :)

The sound is triggered via Midi and it's a Analog Lab 4 preset. I used the same sound with Kawai and Roland.

I have to check the velocity and output level you mentioned. That could very well be the reason for the "pof".

Thank you, I'll report back asap :)

olliraa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 07:23:19 am »
Hmm, I tested this a bit further. I'm not a Midi guru so I really cannot be 100% sure, but it seems that this really is somehow dependent on the midi keyboard itself. With the Kawai and all the midi settings combed through, there's no way to get rid of the "pof". The "pof" can be heard e.g. with these Analog lab 4 presets: Ober Strings and also Piano Upright.

If I just change the Roland as the midi keyboard there's no "pof". As for the velocity and output levels: Did you refer to midi keyboard settings or Analog lab 4 settings? Kawai seems to have only the very basic midi controls and you cannot adjust the volume level of the midi instrument, which you  can do with the Roland (if this is what you referred to). There's no factory reset for the Kawai either, so I really cannot revert the settings, if I'd screw up something back in the day when the Kawai was my main keyboard.

Analog lab 4 offers these volume and velocity settings without a doubt, but I really wasn't sure what exactly to look for in the user interface. Still is feels weird that there are no problems with the Roland, so it feels weird to fix this "from" the Analog lab.

LBH

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 07:08:48 pm »
I just wanted a similar level.

But there should be no pof with the sounds you mention. So i can't tell, why you have pofs.

olliraa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 05:28:34 pm »
I just wanted a similar level.

But there should be no pof with the sounds you mention. So i can't tell, why you have pofs.

I think I've found the problem. The Kawai apparently sends Midi CC: All Notes Off after every key press?! How to filter that out?

*EDIT*

Just used MidiOX to just remap the CC123 (All notes off) to some unused CC number such as 102. Works great :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:25:37 pm by olliraa »

LBH

Re: *SOLVED*: Midi aftertouch weirdness: software or hardware problem?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 07:29:54 pm »
Strange. A note off message must still be send anyway, if your notes does'nt hang by removing the all notes off messages.
Good for you if it works now. Good to know.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines