April 16, 2024, 07:07:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Visual Proof of BUGGY Broken MIDI Values (Please Help Arturia)  (Read 1556 times)

bostonsynth

• Apprentice
Hi. I have loved and praised Arturia for years. I've never owned their hardware only soft synths. I am so frustrated with my new Keylab. This is just awful. Please watch my brief video and I am begging for help before I just throw this away and write it off.

I'll keep it brief. The MIDI knobs and sliders on the Keylab are unusable. They are stepped and not smooth in the slightest. I can prove this. It's quite easy. It's not user error, thank you. I've tried 3 DAWs.

Firmware is updated and reset. I've used MIDI for since 1992. This blows my mind how this can happen. It happens on ALL sliders and knobs on the Keylab. In my video, all those slider parameters? Stepped. Knobs? Stepped. PLEASE don't tell me it's my buffer size or remind me about MIDI CC data only having a resolution of 7Bit, 0-127. I know that writing automation in the DAW with envelopes is finer and smooth but this doesn't help when you're playing the Keylab in real-time and you want to do a sweet filter sweep. It's garbage stepped. In that moment. The stepping is only an issue when using assigned controller knobs or faders in a live or recording performance)

Mouse and automation work fine and smooth. It's ONLY the actual hardware knobs on the Keylab that are stepped and unusable, awful. No other MIDI controller I've ever used does this. It's not a 7bit limitation.

Funny enough, opening the synth direct vs in Analog Lab makes a difference in the smoothness. Why? This is crazy. Analog Lab is stepped MIDI while direct Arturia VST synths are smoother, but not by much.

I can sometimes get lucky with the other knobs on the Keylab but the main one that's broken and always stepped is the Cutoff Pan 1 knob. All the others are just kinda stepped. Damage? Dirty? It's brand new.

Does anyone know how to make this keyboard actually transmit smooth non stepped MIDI data without yet again relying on third party software or DAWs or hacks or plugins? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Arturia.

Here is the video proof:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/evawihcnwh9bhrd/Visual%20Proof%20of%20BUGGY%20Broken%20MIDI%20Values%20%28Please%20Help%20Arturia%29.mp4?dl=0

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 02:52:28 am by bostonsynth »

bostonsynth

• Apprentice
Re: Visual Proof of BUGGY Broken MIDI Values (Please Help Arturia)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 09:45:00 pm »
UPDATE:

I've managed to confirm that other non Arturia knobs are smooth and not stepped after a THIRD factory firmware reset. However, Arturia's own Analog Lab AND standalone VST synths like MINI 3 and all synths are all stepped with the knobs on the Keylab MKII. My mind is just blown by this. Literally every other synth I've tried works now except Analog Lab and standalone Arturia synths. Why? Technically, I'm curious please. Why can't these synths have smooth knob sweeps when third party vsts work fine?

Baffling. I wonder if there even is an answer.

The slider are smooth but the knobs are stepped and useless functionally using Arturia soft synths. You'd think that would be the strong suit?

Deech123

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 08:17:07 pm »
Botonsynth,

when you move the knobs on your keyboard, is the song then playing?

I have the same problem ones a song plays with automation and then I use the keyboard knobs on an other vst, the same knobs as automated on analog lab also send the same automation data to the other vst instrument, and then this fights and you can see the virtual knob(s) going crazy all the way.

so for one of strange reason ,when analog lab 4 is automated like the cutoff, and then you playback the song and try to automate an other vst with the same cutoff that you have learned/linked to the vst virtual knob, then this virtual knob , even if you are on the not analog lab vst will receive this info of the cutoff of the analog lab.

D.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 11:18:46 pm »
Unfortunately there is stepping in the applications, when you use a controller to change the parameters. Smoothing for the applications parameters is allready wanted.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:22:37 am by LBH »

bostonsynth

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 03:53:31 pm »
Sorry but this is unacceptable.

Zipper filter noise should NOT occur it's that simple.

Something is being polled too slowly or Arturia has not interpolated values to give a smoother response. Either way, it must be fixed.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 11:07:47 am »
The pots are low resolution. It's really that simple. There have been numerous threads about it. Arturia even tried fixing it with a software patch, but that was always destined to be only partly successful, because you cannot compensate for low quality hardware by patching the software.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

RayongGuy

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 11:01:58 am »
I have found a partial workaround.

I noticed when adjusting the OSC 1 and OSC 2 values in a Pigments patch called Fouse played within Analog Lab stand-alone...

As OP state,s smooth changes with mouse. Stepped with knob on my new Keylab Mk2.

However, if you turn the knob completely to the left (anti-clockwise), so the value is zeroed, the knob then works as intended - no stepping. I think on patches where the value is set as 0, the knob works as expected.

Definitely a bug, which I would have thought should be fixable...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines