April 24, 2024, 08:00:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: B3 and fluctuating volume  (Read 2676 times)

olliraa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
B3 and fluctuating volume
« on: March 15, 2020, 08:17:35 pm »
This might be a stupidous question... I'm running the latest Analog lab 4 and experimenting with the Hammond B3 sounds. I managed to create a quite impressive DP sound, but as I know nothing regarding the real HW, there is something that I cannot understand regarding the overall volume of the B3. If I play some general DP Hammond riff the volume fluctuates quite much making some parts of the riff hard to hear. This feels pretty awkward at least for live use. Is this some setting of the software, or just an "feature" of the real HW also? Or some MIDI settings, e.g. velocity sensitiveness of the keyboard (Roland RD-64)?

All help highly appreciated :)

LBH

Re: B3 and fluctuating volume
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 10:28:16 pm »
I have no idea why you use DP and HW. They are initials related to the name Hammond in one way or another but to the organ it self. What is a real HW and a DP riff?
If you are serious, then you must have some modulation of some kind going on. You have asked about the leslie some time ago, so you know about that.
I suggest you post the sound.

olliraa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 09:27:11 am »
I have no idea why you use DP and HW. They are initials related to the name Hammond in one way or another but to the organ it self. What is a real HW and a DP riff?
If you are serious, then you must have some modulation of some kind going on. You have asked about the leslie some time ago, so you know about that.
I suggest you post the sound.

Sorry for being unclear, my bad. Here's a sample, you can hear the volume and also see it in the waveform. I guess it's about the leslie, but is there anything I can do about it? When playing live the volume change makes the organ almost unnoticeable at times (or then unnecessary loud). I guess I'm just spoiled...

Sorry, this is elementary knowledge to some, but apparently not for me :(

Thanks for your help LBH :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 12:09:39 pm by olliraa »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 12:55:13 pm »
If you didn't write in code perhaps you'd get more help, what's a DP and HW for starters
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

gphantom

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 02:13:31 pm »
I don't have the B3, although it is one that I might get in the future.  45 years ago, I came close to buying the real one but at the time, it was 4000.00 us.
The sound I heard is definitely a modulated sound.  If I were to use the Modular V system, I would use a low speed oscilator to modulate the volume and it would sound exactly like the sound sample you have.
I'd read the entire manual for  the B3 and look for "modulation" to see if one of your settings is set.
Also, check out some of the presets that are similar to your sound without the modulation to see which controls are different than yours.

And yes, what is   DP and DW?

LBH

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 06:30:22 pm »
@olliraa
Why don't you just stop the Leslie? That should tell if that's it.
I hear nothing wrong in the sound file you have posted. It sound like a slow leslie, but perhaps also involving another effect. A Leslie is introducing  phaseshifts. I actually think it's a good effect for the sound.
Have a listen to this song and listen to the organ - Soulsavers - Shadows Fall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsPHOnkSiJc
I suggested you posted the preset itself and not a sound file. A preset i can use to see the settings and test.

I would like to know what a real HW is and what a DP riff is. HW might be hardware but DP? Digital Piano? If so then please write that the next time.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 07:24:18 pm by LBH »

olliraa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 08:01:57 pm »
@olliraa
Why don't you just stop the Leslie? That should tell if that's it.
I hear nothing wrong in the sound file you have posted. It sound like a slow leslie, but perhaps also involving another effect. A Leslie is introducing  phaseshifts. I actually think it's a good effect for the sound.
Have a listen to this song and listen to the organ - Soulsavers - Shadows Fall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsPHOnkSiJc
I suggested you posted the preset itself and not a sound file. A preset i can use to see the settings and test.

I would like to know what a real HW is and what a DP riff is. HW might be hardware but DP? Digital Piano? If so then please write that the next time.

Hi all and thanks for the helpful info :) Sorry about the acronyms, I have some kind of a fixation towards those... 

HW: hardware
DP: Deep Purple :O

Again, sorry for those.

I'm not really sure how to disable the Leslie, because I'm running (the plain) Analog Lab 4 without the V Collection = all the controls on the B3 panel are disabled (they used to be accessible in Analog Lab 3, if I remember correctly). I could map some midi command to disable the Leslie though?

LBH

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 08:48:07 pm »
DP = Deep Purple. Yes one can imagine and guess that. But it's not clear untill you spell it out at least once in a thread. Please remember that.

Yes i forgot, that you need the full B3 application to stop the Leslie through Analog Lab.
Don't you have any parameters availble at all? Also if you click under a control? You must have some, if you can edit a sound in Analog Lab like the one you ask about.

You must have made the sound from an excisting factory preset? Is that correct? What was that preset named? I can check then.
If you turn down all the FX Mix you have availble for a sound, then that perhaps also reveal some info. It's possible that one ore more effects is doing the modulation - or at least some of it.
But to me the main thing is, that nothing is wrong with the sound.

olliraa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 09:09:10 pm »
DP = Deep Purple. Yes one can imagine and guess that. But it's not clear untill you spell it out at least once in a thread. Please remember that.

Yes i forgot, that you need the full B3 application to stop the Leslie through Analog Lab.
Don't you have any parameters availble at all? Also if you click under a control? You must have some, if you can edit a sound in Analog Lab like the one you ask about.

You must have made the sound from an excisting factory preset? Is that correct? What was that preset named? I can check then.
If you turn down all the FX Mix you have availble for a sound, then that perhaps also reveal some info. It's possible that one ore more effects is doing the modulation - or at least some of it.
But to me the main thing is, that nothing is wrong with the sound.

I cannot access the Leslie (on/off) lever or nothing that is "on the virtual B3". That is shown in B3_1.png. I only have the knobs shown in B3_2.png. Unfortunately I cannot remember on what default preset I made the current sound on, sorry, the project has been sitting for a few months.
But I guess, Iīm just spoiled with these modern "always maxed out and 0.1dB dynamic range sounds" :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:12:51 pm by olliraa »

LBH

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 09:16:02 pm »
I see the "Leslie Brake" parameter. That can be used to stop the leslie rotation. So some presets must have that parameter availble in Analog Lab. If it's stopped, then the modulation is done by effects.

An again - if you export the preset and post it, then i also can check it.

EDIT: Is it a old B3 sound you have used? What Analog Lab do you use? You need the old B3 for old B3 sounds. B3V2 is'nt the same.
Do you have extra soundpacks? EDIT END.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:46:50 pm by LBH »

olliraa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 07:09:34 am »
I see the "Leslie Brake" parameter. That can be used to stop the leslie rotation. So some presets must have that parameter availble in Analog Lab. If it's stopped, then the modulation is done by effects.

An again - if you export the preset and post it, then i also can check it.

EDIT: Is it a old B3 sound you have used? What Analog Lab do you use? You need the old B3 for old B3 sounds. B3V2 is'nt the same.
Do you have extra soundpacks? EDIT END.

It may very well be, that the sound is based on the older sounds, cannot remember really. I exported the preset, please find it attached :)

I did some experimenting with the Leslie brake, but it did not help unfortunately.

Anyway, thousand thanks for helping me with this stuff LBH!

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 11:42:56 am »
I take it you do know what a Leslie is and how it affects the sound? I think that's what you're hearing. I'm not currently sat at my home computer, but when I'm next able to, I'll have a look at the B3 in AL4 to see if there's a particular control to turn the Leslie between slow/brake/fast.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

LBH

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 02:34:45 pm »
It may very well be, that the sound is based on the older sounds, cannot remember really. I exported the preset, please find it attached :)

I did some experimenting with the Leslie brake, but it did not help unfortunately.

I've had a look at the preset.
It's based on an old B3V1 preset made by Nori Ubukata and perhaps after an edit of this made by a user that have shared the preset in the forums.

The Leslie break parameter work for me. But i own and have both the old B3V1 and the new B3V2 full versions installed.

The modulation is caused by the Leslie together with a Phaser and a Flanger. With the Leslie cut off from the sound so the sound is Direct, then there is'nt much movement, but still the effects also have an impact.
But as said, then there is nothing wrong with the sound.
I attach the following presets:
1. the Leslie set to Brake/ Stopped
2. the Leslie disconnected
3. the Leslie on but Flanger and Phaser switched off
4. the Leslie, the Flanger and the Phaser off. - Ony natural movement will be heard for chords.
It's a bank named DP.
Keep in mind, that it's sounds for B3V1.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:42:29 pm by LBH »

olliraa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 11:05:14 am »

I've had a look at the preset.
It's based on an old B3V1 preset made by Nori Ubukata and perhaps after an edit of this made by a user that have shared the preset in the forums.

The Leslie break parameter work for me. But i own and have both the old B3V1 and the new B3V2 full versions installed.

The modulation is caused by the Leslie together with a Phaser and a Flanger. With the Leslie cut off from the sound so the sound is Direct, then there is'nt much movement, but still the effects also have an impact.
But as said, then there is nothing wrong with the sound.
I attach the following presets:
1. the Leslie set to Brake/ Stopped
2. the Leslie disconnected
3. the Leslie on but Flanger and Phaser switched off
4. the Leslie, the Flanger and the Phaser off. - Ony natural movement will be heard for chords.
It's a bank named DP.
Keep in mind, that it's sounds for B3V1.

Thank you for the presets, the "the Leslie on but Flanger and Phaser switched off" is way better regarding the volume stability than the one I posted earlier.

I also got a really good offer for the V Collection 7 from Arturia so I bought it. No more problems with not being able to access all the controls.

Thank you for the all the help :D

LBH

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 01:25:19 pm »
Your welcome.

Thank you for the presets, the "the Leslie on but Flanger and Phaser switched off" is way better regarding the volume stability than the one I posted earlier.
No it's not better - just different as it does'nt have the modulation that the Leslie and the FXs introduce as a part of their normal behavior to modulate the sound.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines