March 28, 2024, 04:58:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Velocity Curve Problem  (Read 12670 times)

alexyerks

Re: Velocity Curve Problem
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 07:16:27 pm »
Hello lovely citizens of Arturia.

I too am having trouble with the pads. I really have to mash on them to get a consistent drumming sound, and often it seems like I'm missing the drums. But it's because I'm not hitting them very hard. After a couple of minutes I'm really feeling it in my finger tips. I haven't had this issue on other midi controllers.

I hope they can fix this with a firmware update soon otherwise I may end up returning it which stinks because I love the keylab mkii otherwise.

Thanks for posting about this issue, maybe if enough of us chime in they'll notice it.

Frake

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2021, 02:27:13 pm »
I confirm having the same problem from day 1. It doesn't seem to be that critical with Piano V app (gets to 30-40 velocity with normal effort), but in ableton I only see <20 velocity. Which is for sure not a usable output   :(

Is there any update on resolving the issue?

cubiqmusic

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 07:24:20 pm »
Hello guys and girls,

I thought I was alone in this world having this velocity problem. I've spent two months pulling my hair and trying to figure out why is this happening.
I cannot believe an 800€ keyboard lacks the basic and elemental thing of proper velocity.

In this link you can find a comparison between my KeyLab 88 MKII and a Casio Privia. I would appreciate your answer whether this is happening to you too.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32x4az2jcclouyk/AAC3LvNYNhG1CKI98VraWBgfa?dl=0

I sent my keyboard to Arturia, France, so they could fix the velocity issue, and apparently, this awful and useless velocity response is "normal behaviour". On a 800€ Keyboard?? Seriously?
I've done lots of tests and PADS work fine on my Keyboard(regarding velocity sensitivity, they can reproduce all 127 values), but the Fatar Keybed is completely useless if you want to play decently.

If anyone has landed in this forum thinking about buying a KeyLab, forget about it, honestly.

Koinden

• Apprentice
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2021, 11:43:48 am »
Hi,

I just wanted to make a post as I've had a similar issue where I really have to hit way harder on the keys than I'd like to hit maximum velocity.

Arturia support have said that they are working on improving the options for velocity but with no timeframe given.

I've managed to adjust this myself so wanted to share my findings in case it helps anyone else who may stuble across this page.

1. Download and install 'LoopBe1 Monitor' and 'MIDI Velocity Curve Changer by Trobettworks'
2. Make sure your DAW or anything else that might use the keyboard is closed
3. Start LoopBe1 Monitor
4. Start the Velocity program, configure the curve as you like and set the inputs and outputs (see attached screenshot)
5. Now start your DAW (has to be started after you've started the above programs)
6. This step may be different depening on your DAW, I use Ableton (V10) and custom scripting for Ableton device control when in USER mode.I've attached a screenshot of my settings, note that the 'KeyLab mkII' is the usual control surface and 'Keylab Mkii' is my custom user script. I know one of the inputs is in red but with it setup like this everything is working great, ANALOG LAB mode works and I'm able to browse instruments as normal, DAW mode works and I'm able to do anything DAW related and USER mode works great for Ableton Device Control. All pads etc work as intended.

I'm very new to all this but I hope this may help someone who's in the same situation.

Edit - I could probably mess with the DAW settings to get rid of that red input but it's all working so I'm leaving it as it is.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 11:49:41 am by Koinden »

Matthieu_Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2021, 03:30:30 pm »
Hi everyone!
There should be an update soon that should please most of your request.
Stay tuned!

Cheers!
QA Technician

Matthieu_Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2021, 10:37:16 am »
Hi everyone!
An new update is coming very soon!
In it, you can use a customizable velocity curve and also set it as a global setting to use on all Memory Slots, like Analog Lab or DAW mode.
Stay tuned!

Best !
QA Technician

bcab17

• Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2021, 06:43:20 pm »
Hi everyone!
An new update is coming very soon!
In it, you can use a customizable velocity curve and also set it as a global setting to use on all Memory Slots, like Analog Lab or DAW mode.
Stay tuned!

Best !

As a person ready to order a Keylab MKII (until I started reading this thread), this is great news. The manual refers to a "Custom" velocity option...but only for the keys. Is that correct (it is NOT available for the pads)?

From the manual:
Custom Velocity Curve: Here you can select from preset velocity curves or use the following
5 parameters to define a Custom Velocity Curve:
• Min Velocity: This is the value sent when playing the keyboard as soft as possible
and defaults to a value of 1.
• Piano Velocity: This is an intermediate level and its default value is 12.
• Mezzo Velocity: This is an intermediate level and its default value is 42.
• Forte Velocity: This is an intermediate level and its default value is 95.
• Max Velocity: This is the level sent when playing the keyboard as hard as
possible and its default value is 127 .

My question is, can the above default values be changed to ANY value. Two examples:

1) Could all 5 default settings be set to the same value to create a "fixed" velocity...or is there a range limit for each of the 5 parameters?

2) As a relatively new keyboard player, I find a "limited" velocity curve helps me with recording levels. Is it possible to set the lowest velocity to something like 60, and set the highest velocity to around 90. That would allow some limited expression/dynamics.

Thanks for your help!

sharpnine

• Apprentice
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2022, 12:18:52 am »
A common way to accomplish what you want in item (2) is to record with a full scale of velocities, and apply a compressor effect. You can then adjust it as much as you want to make it sound good (bringing the quiet sounds up and the louder sounds down as needed). I think it almost always helps to use compression, in any case, and this is a very common reason.

avr90

• Apprentice
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2022, 10:36:06 pm »
Is it possible to make "Custom" velocity option for pads too? I became an owner of 61 MKII keyboard. It' s great and I like it! But the pads are a bit tight. More important is not all the pads take the same amount of pressure to generate the same amount of velocity. There are few very tight pads. It's +/- normal I suppose but I want to rise the lower floor of velocity for all the pads, more than using a "log" setting of velocity. In other words, it would be cool to have the custom option for pads too, separate from the keys.

brek

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2022, 10:54:52 pm »
I just got this keyboard and, like many others, am highly disappointed in the velocity response.

The ability to create a custom curve makes it so that those velocities are the ONLY (give or take) velocities that are output:

avr90

• Apprentice
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2022, 01:39:39 pm »
I just got this keyboard and, like many others, am highly disappointed in the velocity response.

The ability to create a custom curve makes it so that those velocities are the ONLY (give or take) velocities that are output:

I agree. I like the keyboard but the only velocity I can work with is "Custom". Lin - I am just afraid to break the keyboard  ;D Log - is more useful but still a bit quiet. Fixed is a good choice for specific tasks, when Custom - is the only choice  you can be happy with. It is not only the issue with Arturia keyboards I think, my previous keyboard (with Fatar weighted keys) had the same issue. So, just use the Custom setting:)
But Pads should have the custom setting too, separate from keys. Please, Arturia!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines