March 28, 2024, 07:18:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: What NOT to get for a modular synth, since I have a MatrixBrute ?  (Read 2464 times)

andretoscano

• Apprentice
Hi everyone.

I've purchased the MatrixBrute for a number of reasons, one of them being as an entry-way into the world of modular synths.

Given that the MxB is already a keyboard controller that can output Gate, Sync and CV voltages, I'm guessing I won't be needing any Midi/CV converters at all on the modular side?
Or am missing something?

If you were to build a modular synth little by little, and assuming that - like me - you already have a MatrixBrute, what wouldn't you bother with for your modular in the beginning?

Thanks!

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: What NOT to get for a modular synth, since I have a MatrixBrute ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 06:37:09 pm »
That's right, you don't need any  Midi/CV converter modules.

As for what kind of modules to get, I'd start out with the basics like VCOs, VCFs, envelopes, VCAs, mixers etc,. because those are reasonably priced (e.g Doepfer) and gives max flexibility for general patching. The bigger and more complex modules are cool, of course, but often quite expensive. But hey - only you know what kind of patching and sound design you want to get into :)

guyaguy

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 11:47:40 pm »
It really does depend on what you want to do with a modular system. For example theoretically you don’t need oscillators but if you want through zero FM or wavetables you do.

STM

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 05:55:28 am »
I'm in a similar situation and think about starting with eurorack.
Maybe begin with a Disting mk4 to have the ability to try out different functions and then decide what you would like as a stand alone module.

endreola

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 11:05:29 am »
It really depends on what intrigues or inspires you in your music making process.  There are many different directions you can go by using CV, for example here's a few:

- As others had already shared buying eurorack case & modules
 - Expand with additional semi-modular desktop units or other boutique products
 - Leverage DAW's VSTs
 - Leverage free open source apps like VCV rack

Many choices with varying price tags, some free like VCV (but it requires an interface), or leverage  previously purchased plug-ins.

Processaurus

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 12:08:08 pm »
 Matrixbrute can be seen as a response to the shortcomings of modular analog synthesis. You get soft patching in a visually decipherable page, with an attenuator built in to each connection, midi sync to the sequencer and lfo’s, midi control of the knobs, full recall of patches. I owned a big eurorack synth before the mattixbrute and get fed up with how slow it was to get good sounds, not being able to save sounds that took hours to make, having difficulty following the patch through a mess of cables. People make some fascinating stuff with their modulars, but I lost enthusiasm. All to say, I think it is smart to use the matrixbrute as the core of a modular setup, so you can skip building a typical analog synth patch, and just use the eurorack modules to add on to what the matrixbrute already has, and does in a much more user friendly way. You don’t need analog oscillators, lfo’s, filters, waveshaper, sequencer, analog delay. If I were adding to the matrixbrute, I would probably focus on unusual modules, since the basics are covered so nicely. Stuff like ring mod, bitcrusher, wavetable oscillators, granular synthesis, sampler toys, unusual effects. Maybe just a couple things, and it would still be manageable.

rens

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 08:41:33 pm »
@andretoscano i suggest you get a makenoise maths as your first module.  Its a cv tool that will allow you to do all manner of looping and trigged modulations. After that id get a mutable instruments plaits which is a vey flexible oscillator you can use into the brute’s external input.  Stick with those two for a while until you find a limitation and then add a little at a time.  Its an endless world to explore....

...then again so is the matrixbrute all on its own!!!

endreola

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 05:19:27 am »
Am a huge fan of MI modules including plaits and Rings and you are so spot on.  Pairing MxB with either one (or both) will take MxB's native timbre to a whole new level. Layering the native MxB audio with Rings' FM synthesis adds texture and dimension, especially when the ENV's are dialed down to something snappy.  And folding the audio back into the MxB for further molding is amazing.

EDIT: Technically speaking, Rings use physical modeling synthesis whereas Plaits provides everything from FM to speech synthesis, analog percussion emulation, wavetables, modal synthesis, granular synthesis, etc.

But before you go buy them, try them out for free first, as everyone has different taste in sound.  Using an interface like the ES-8 from Expert Sleepers allows you to bidirectionally patch the MxB to a world of software based modular modules, which most are free, including Plaits and Rings via VCV Rack.  It allows you to "try" all kinds of modules without buying HW counterparts.  And once you dial in what you like, or can't live without, then go buy the HW version.  Sorry for being a little redundant with my last two posts.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 03:31:34 pm by endreola »

WytchCrypt

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 11:22:47 pm »
Matrixbrute can be seen as a response to the shortcomings of modular analog synthesis. You get soft patching in a visually decipherable page, with an attenuator built in to each connection, midi sync to the sequencer and lfo’s, midi control of the knobs, full recall of patches. I owned a big eurorack synth before the mattixbrute and get fed up with how slow it was to get good sounds, not being able to save sounds that took hours to make, having difficulty following the patch through a mess of cables. People make some fascinating stuff with their modulars, but I lost enthusiasm.

Same here.  I didn't have a huge modular system but bought a Korg MS20 and Roland System 1m and a bunch of patch cables.  I never liked it or had much fun because of the same reasons you describe.  Because of the matrix I've always seen my MxB as a modular synth with the convenience of patch memory and none of the hassle of a modular system  ;)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines