March 28, 2024, 01:15:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: beatstep pro gate output & Make noise Sto VCO  (Read 921 times)

HKDS

beatstep pro gate output & Make noise Sto VCO
« on: March 03, 2020, 03:23:16 am »
Hello everyone. I am new to this blog so forgive me if I’m in the wrong spot. So the reason I’m here is because I’m new to the beatstep pro and I have an issue.

1) the sequencer 1  in the Beatstep pro has the pitch out connected to the STO 1 volt/ octave input. The STO output is connected to my mixer and monitors.
 Here I get the standard sub out as a typical oscillator turned on oscillating it’s wave.  How can I get the gate output on the beat step pro to silence the oscillator and only play when I lay down a sequence or use the pads to trigger .  At the moment I can’t turn off the oscillator. I must be doing something  wrong. Obviously.  The funny thing is I try with every of the 3 wave outputs and have the same issue a turned on oscillator not being turned off by a gate.  Thanks for correcting me and thanks for your help .  ??? ???

Have a productive day .
-Hkds

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: beatstep pro gate output & Make noise Sto VCO
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 06:44:51 am »
You need a VCA to control your STO dynamics.
Remember with modular synths, you have to create the ENTIRE signal path yourself.  So, for a traditional subtractive synth it's generally along the lines of: VCO->VCF->VCA->OUTPUT  Your VCO pitch is controlled with the pitch CV on the BSP, as you have currently happening, but it's completely unreigned without anything else in place.

I have a Make Noise Optomix, which is a dual VCA which utilises an optical gate circuit for a simple envelope, so you don't need anything else to get running with it.  Simply run the STO out into the top left input of the Optomix, the gate out on the BSP into the Strike input and the Out to your output module.

I hope I haven't used too many words, if so, the tl;dr is just grab an Optomix and read its manual.  Make Noise are pretty good with explaining stuff.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

HKDS

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 04:38:51 pm »
Perfect, thank you. So if I use my make noise Maths as a VCA I can plug
The BSP pitch out to the oscillators 1volt/ octave Input ( in this case the STO)

Then I can play the STO just as a synth would ?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 03:23:52 am »
Well I guess you could.  I don't have one of them, so am not really familiar with how the operate beyond knowing it's a rather complex envelope/function module.  I had a quick peek at the manual and it looks like it will do the job.  There is a section in the manual with patch examples, including a description of a simple VCA patch.  A real VCA or even a Low Pass Gate (LPG) will give you a more complete sound, but for the time being, the Maths module should get you though.

As to where to go next with creating a synth patch, I'd suggest doing a bit of reading (or watching) on modular synthesis basics.  Most complete synths use "east coast" synthesis, which is like what I described in my first reply and is based on how Bob Moog laid out his modules, but then in the full modular world you will find the "west coast" synthesis ethic (based on Don Buchla's designs) is very predominant also.  The differences are slight but do create different ways to route and modulate an audio signal.  EG the differences in using a VCA with a VCF or just using a LPG to control audio dynamics and tone, or the use of an envelope generator vs a slope generator to modulate your VCA/VCF or LPG.  Make Noise do tend to lean towards the west coast ethic, but not completely, so maybe focus on how they do it and you will get a nice understanding of both "coasts".  Good Luck!
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines