March 29, 2024, 01:53:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Right audio out channel connection issue  (Read 1691 times)

MichaelMonkey

• Apprentice
Right audio out channel connection issue
« on: February 17, 2020, 03:53:23 pm »
I am trying to avoid having to ship my MxB to Arturia for service, but may have to....

I have recently been experiencing buzzing and clipping out on the right studio monitor for my MxB. Yesterday, I started hearing nothing from my right studio monitor when playing the MxB. At first I thought it was my very old Mackie Mixer, but it repeated the issue over several mixer channels.  Then I replaced the audio cable, same problem. The phones jack works fine (in stereo--checked with stereo delay and could hear changes), so it doesn't appear to be anything internal.  Finally, moved the audio cable around in the right audio output jack, and was able to get sound coming out of it if I put pressure in a certain direction (pulling upward and toward the front of the MxB) and was able to get clear uninterrupted audio.  Sigh.  Anyone have any ideas of how to fix this without sending it in?  I am still under warranty.  I am afraid to send it in because the first MxB I purchased had been dropped or something, and was damaged, so I returned it. The second one's box was all beat up (which might explain why I am having this problem now).  I am fearful of sending it in to get this minor issue fixed, only to have it come back in worse shape. I've considered just using the phones jack with a stereo splitter, but don't love the idea of resigning myself to a faulty audio out on my fairly new and expensive synth.

standingwave

Re: Right audio out channel connection issue
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 04:25:39 pm »
If you're getting clean stereo audio from you headphones, then it is likley just the physical output connection according to you troubleshooting.

I wouldn't send it back for that. If you're comfortable to open the connector and see what is happening, you could potentially fix it yourself. It sounds like it could be 1)a bad solder joint or 2)perhaps just a loose fit on the cable end.
 1) resolder the connector.
 2) bend the connector to fit more snugly against the cable end.

Overall, very minor repair and a regular part of equipment maintenance that will come up eventually with any electronic device, in my opinion.

If you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself, there is probably a local electronic repair guy/gal that could fix it up lickedy split.

Either way, definitely open a support ticket and see what Arturia says if it's still on warranty.
 Cheers.

MichaelMonkey

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 04:52:36 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  What do you mean by "cable end?"  Do you mean inside the MxB?  I am just asking because the audio cable isn't the issue since the problem occurred after checking several cables. 

MichaelMonkey

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 04:53:39 pm »
Also, I agree that this problem seems pretty minor, which is why I don't want to send it in.  I have some concern, though, that if I do open it up and solder the connection internally, I will void my warranty.

standingwave

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 07:39:37 pm »
No I mean the female connection; the tab that pinches the cable end may just need to be bent in. If you can solder, I'd say just do it.
 How much time is left on the warranty?

MichaelMonkey

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 09:58:01 pm »
Oh, okay, thanks for that additional information.  I think I will give it a try, although I don't know much about electronics.  My next door neighbor should have a solder gun.  I'd have to check, but I am guessing its a one-year warranty, in which case I've got about 4-5 months on it.

standingwave

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 10:04:27 pm »
Maybe ask Arturia if they are ok with you doing the repair without voiding the warranty. They may just be cool about it to save everyone the hassle and resources.

I'm sure you can fix it AOK.
 Cheers.

Processaurus

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 12:37:15 am »
With the plastic 1/4” jacks that are mounted to the PCB, damage can happen 2 ways, first is the jack’s solder lugs get pried out of the PCB, you can see a little crack in the solder joint, you can heat it up with a soldering iron to re melt the connection.

The other possibility of damage is the jack itself. It may possibly be that the metal contacts that touch the tip of the 1/4” plug,  got bent away from the plug, and you could bend them back in with a flashlight and a slender tool, like a dental tool. Or the plastic of the jack is damaged, in which case you would need a replacement jack that matched the PCB, which is tricky, unless you can order the part from Arturia. Or send it back in, at that point.

Note, if you do any soldering, the new electronics are lead free solder, so you either need to use lead free solder, or remove all of the old solder to use the leaded stuff.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines