March 29, 2024, 10:33:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: 4 Pages of Matrix Arpeggiator, etc....  (Read 7518 times)

SingleCell

• Apprentice
4 Pages of Matrix Arpeggiator, etc....
« on: February 17, 2020, 09:49:09 am »
Since, in the new 2.0 version, those 4 User Modulation buttons now light up, it gave me the idea for using them to switch between pages of the Matrix Arpeggiator.  This could allow for longer patterns, up to 4 pages (64 steps) long. 

Alternately, they could be used for The Sequencer and Matrix Arpeggiator both, to switch between 4 different Sequences on the fly... with all 4 pages being stored with the current patch.

They could also be used to select 4 different banks of Presets, for that matter...

VAU

Re: 4 Pages of Matrix Arpeggiator, etc....
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 12:45:18 pm »
in fact we could have 256 pages of presets / bars of seq or arp / tunings / and much more

i've been asking for this

since feb 2017 here:

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=90177.0

and hope a lot of people have input for an external box as a possible solution, described here:

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=101229.0

guyaguy

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 06:34:46 am »

Alternately, they could be used for The Sequencer and Matrix Arpeggiator both, to switch between 4 different Sequences on the fly... with all 4 pages being stored with the current patch.

I'd definitely be interested in this. I have a Sequential Pro 3 on the way and it allows up to 4 sequences on one preset.

On other synths there's a workaround where you can store the same patch on another preset that includes a different sequence. But the MxB has a signal drop on preset changes.

SingleCell

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 01:15:18 am »
@guyaguy:  You can pull up a Sequencer/Matrix Arpeggiator pattern on the fly from another preset using the Patterns button... but that can take two hands, if the pattern in question is saved on the left side of the matrix, and you have to remember which one to pull up.  So, having multiple sequences stored within a preset (and only one button press away) is a matter of convenience, really.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 01:18:29 am by SingleCell »

yeskeys

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 09:42:24 pm »

I'd definitely be interested in this. I have a Sequential Pro 3 on the way and it allows up to 4 sequences on one preset.

On other synths there's a workaround where you can store the same patch on another preset that includes a different sequence. But the MxB has a signal drop on preset changes.

Please let us know your impressions of the Pro3.  I am pondering getting that and selling MB.  Thanks!

guyaguy

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 08:40:27 am »
@guyaguy:  You can pull up a Sequencer/Matrix Arpeggiator pattern on the fly from another preset using the Patterns button... but that can take two hands, if the pattern in question is saved on the left side of the matrix, and you have to remember which one to pull up.  So, having multiple sequences stored within a preset (and only one button press away) is a matter of convenience, really.
Yep it’s more of a workflow enhancement. Having to remember to hit H11 for example to get to the next sequence is just inconvenient enough.

guyaguy

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 08:49:24 am »

Please let us know your impressions of the Pro3.  I am pondering getting that and selling MB.  Thanks!

I got mine this week and it’s a beast. Thick analog oscillators, lovely wavetables, big bottom end, rich filters, and all of that. The modulation is probably a bit deeper than the MxB and probably just as easy to patch. But the Pro-3 sequencer is miles ahead—13 tracks of modulation vs one on the MxB, easy mapping, ratcheting, etc. But I’m keeping both and losing the Subsequent and Analog Keys. I still love the MxB for crusty sounds, the wavefolder, the modulateable BBD, etc. And you might miss the larger keyboard, larger CV patchbay, etc. so it might depend on which features are important to you.

VAU

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 11:27:13 pm »

I got mine this week and it’s a beast. Thick analog oscillators, lovely wavetables, big bottom end, rich filters, and all of that. The modulation is probably a bit deeper than the MxB and probably just as easy to patch. But the Pro-3 sequencer is miles ahead—13 tracks of modulation vs one on the MxB, easy mapping, ratcheting, etc. But I’m keeping both and losing the Subsequent and Analog Keys. I still love the MxB for crusty sounds, the wavefolder, the modulateable BBD, etc. And you might miss the larger keyboard, larger CV patchbay, etc. so it might depend on which features are important to you.

when you modulate the gate length on the pro 3 sequencer
and you sequence then the MB with the pro3,
will the different gate lengths be transmitted to the MB ?

SingleCell

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 11:39:16 pm »
You guys are really derailing my thread

VAU

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 12:23:07 am »
again, what you are asking for, i've been asking for since 2017
and i also made suggestions for an extension box

unfortunately, not a lot of people are able to see how useful
more pages would be. although i know, once they would be introduced,
everybody would thank ARTURIA on their knees for it.

and the reason why i asked guyaguy about his pro3 sequencer is
just because of the fact, that i am afraid, that ARTURIA will neither deliver more
pages nor extension box, although technically possible.

and because of this, i am looking for a nice workaround, like a good seq/arp combi
like the Pro3 seems to have.

in fact we could have 256 pages of presets / bars of seq or arp / tunings / and much more

i've been asking for this

since feb 2017 here:

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=90177.0

and hope a lot of people have input for an external box as a possible solution, described here:

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=101229.0

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:27:25 am by VAU »

SingleCell

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 04:17:52 am »
Yeah....

.... no.  I stand by my previous comment.

yeskeys

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 05:53:57 pm »

[/quote]

got mine this week and it’s a beast. Thick analog oscillators, lovely wavetables, big bottom end, rich filters, and all of that. The modulation is probably a bit deeper than the MxB and probably just as easy to patch. But the Pro-3 sequencer is miles ahead—13 tracks of modulation vs one on the MxB, easy mapping, ratcheting, etc. But I’m keeping both and losing the Subsequent and Analog Keys. I still love the MxB for crusty sounds, the wavefolder, the modulateable BBD, etc. And you might miss the larger keyboard, larger CV patchbay, etc. so it might depend on which features are important to you.
[/quote]

Thank you for your mini-review.  I had  the Pro 1 back in the day, more recently the Pro 2 and loved the sequencer, I agree it's miles ahead.  Are you getting a lot of satisfaction from the limited number of wavetables, or is there a pretty decent variety that you see years of creativity ahead with it?

(I'm so over the MB and Arturia's lack of support.  On my Pro 2, once I accidentally reversed some CV into the wrong jack and blew an op-amp.  Within days, Sequential had me remove the main board (weighed like 1 or 2 pounds), send it in, and I had the replacement and it fixed within a few days.)

I'm also eyeing the Hydrasynth.  Looks amazing.  The downside is the same guy who had a huge hand in developing the MatrixBrute (D'Arcy) is a primary dev on the Hydrasynth.  So I have an irrational fear that he'll move on, like he did from Arturia, and any bugs that might show up might take 2 years to fix. But I have no clue what happens behind closed doors with these companies so my fear is probably pretty irrational....
Thanks again for the info on the Pro 3.  Hopefully I'll get one if I can move this MB in today's synth market.

guyaguy

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 06:55:12 pm »

There’s a lot to work with in wavetables especially with the morphing options. But with the continuously variable waves and shape mod on the VCOs there are lots of options there too. I’ve actually made a video showing how to set up analog wavetables for endless variations!

https://youtu.be/N91c_i-RrJ4

Processaurus

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 11:27:12 am »
I would be thrilled with 4 pages of matrix arp. 16x 1/16th notes is one measure, 32 steps is very nice for music because it is 2x measures, lets you do a variation to your pattern.

There’d be a UI issue of what happens when your pattern advances to the other pages, does it follow? Ignore it and stay on the page? Blink the page light to show which page it’s on?

endreola

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 05:14:00 pm »
With proper design engineering this should never occur: 

“once I accidentally reversed some CV into the wrong jack and blew an op-amp.“

Product Managers need to understand that users makes mistakes and their production product should be protected from such accidents.  Take Mutable Instruments example, their inputs can withstand extreme voltages spikes, such as static discharge peaking thousands of volts. 

Just saying...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines