April 19, 2024, 11:31:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: External Audio: how are YOU using it?  (Read 2160 times)

andretoscano

• Apprentice
External Audio: how are YOU using it?
« on: March 07, 2020, 01:01:09 pm »
Hi everyone.

I've routed a few audio loops from my DAW to the External Audio input of the MxB, and after adjusting I/O gains from side to side I've managed to make them sound decent enough (well, as decent as a converted stereo-to-mono loop can be...).
I'll probably try the same with my guitar processor this afternoon.

But... now what?

If I can't modulate the pitch of what's coming in, I can only use the Envelope Follower to track the changes in input level and let that modulate other parameters, right? (sure, I can filter the incoming audio, but... well, not that interesting...)

But the Envelope Follower... follows changes in level, not pitch. So the pitch of what's coming in is not tracked at all for modulation (nor can the pitch of the Ext. Audio input it be modulated, as far as I can tell).

Doesn't seem that interesting to me, but I may be wrong.

May I ask how are **you** using the External Audio input creatively?

1. Are you just using it to "lightly process" loops and complex material?

2. Are you creating complex envelopes and contours in your DAW and feeding them to the Ext Audio input to use them as an additional custom ADSR?

3. Is it something you actually depend on (using the Ext. Audio input)? Or was it something you've tried once for fun, then forgot about it?

4. Any examples you would like to share of stuff that worked great for you (and not so great)?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 01:06:55 pm by andretoscano »

standingwave

Re: External Audio: how are YOU using it?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 01:50:21 pm »
The sky is the limit really.
 For guitar, auto wah using the Env Follower is great, but that is only the most basic of patches.
 Using the return on the insert connector allows direct access to the BBD delay section, cool. I use this quite a bit.
 As you mentioned, audio amplitude as a external modulation source (drum loops work well)
 Play around, you can bend acoustic sounds into alien soundscapes pretty quickly.
 Have fun!

Processaurus

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 08:22:22 pm »
Had fun here by plugging in midi controlled sound sources, specifically  soft synths and samplers, ROMplers on the iPad, like you play a note on the MxB, and hook that midi up to play a soft instrument, and run that audio into the MxB external input, to mix with your oscillators. Lots of fun with “Sir Sampleton”, which is an SK-1 type toy sampler app, where you record a sound in the iPad mic, and then can play it at different pitches with a midi keyboard (MxB midi out in this scenario).

As you mentioned, audio amplitude as a external modulation source (drum loops work well)

This sort of side chain modulation is a great idea, especially with a percussion source. No reason you have to process the source through the synth, you can just use it to make the synth do something rhythmic in sync with your drums or whatever.  Like, the guitar on Prince’s “Kiss” is running through a gate that is being triggered by the hi-hat. The hi hat makes the gate (vca in synth land) open and close, but the guitar is what gets chopped up.

guyaguy

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 08:55:52 pm »

1. Feed MxB audio back into itself
2. Feed drum in with envelope follower modulating the filter to warm up drum sound
3. I haven’t tried this on the MxB but vox into an env follower can be cool. Check out Goldfrapp’s first album for examples.

Unfortunately you can’t access the metallizer wave folder other than on the triangle VCO out. Because wave folders are great on drums.

WytchCrypt

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 06:48:13 pm »
I send the output from my Roland System-1m to the MxB audio input so it functions as another oscillator.  I don't use it very often but it's a cool option to be able to send in something crazy from the S-1m while both the MxB and S-1m are being controlled by the MxB keyboard  ;)

STM

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 05:50:24 am »
I sometimes use 0-Coast and/or NTS-1 with 'open VCA' as an additional oscillator.
Aux send from the mixer into the MxB is opening also many ways.

And don't forget the insert socket!
For additional FX from a NTS-1 or using the internal FX for other gear.

Used the insert to feed a channel into the mixer and sent back the audio over aux send. Now i have a dry and wet signal from the MXB and can also send other things to the internal FX.

Many possibilities  ;)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines