April 16, 2024, 08:54:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MIDI Control Setup - Assigning multiple Controllers to one Parameter  (Read 2915 times)

parodise

• Apprentice
How can I assign more than one MIDI-Controller to a specific Parameter? Does this work at all?

LBH

Re: MIDI Control Setup - Assigning multiple Controllers to one Parameter
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 04:25:22 pm »
A parameter that have a Midi CC can be controlled by any controller that use that Midi CC.
It's also possible to create different midi configs  for things like this. You can read about that in the manuals, and if you after that have  specific questions about this then please return.

parodise

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 05:42:20 pm »
OK, sorry, maybe I expressed myself misleadingly.

First of all: I'd lke to assign MIDI Parameters by Mouse and Key, not by moving any Software or Hardware Controller. I usually know which few Parameters I'd like to choose, and in some special Situations I haven't got a Hardware Controller and would take too much Time to change everything by Creating Controllers in the DAW just for that. OK, again, using Mouse and Keyboard to assign MIDI-Controllers, is this understandable yet?

Second: If I assign a Controller the usual Way I have to assign the MIDI Channel together with that. But sometimes, by using more than one Keyboard with different MIDI Channels I need Parameters of an Instrument to be controlled by both. (Solution: MIDI Channel ALL instead of 1, 2 or whatever). Example: I use two Keyboards and a Pedalboard for the B-4 (different MIDI Channels, of course). Now I want to control Leslie Speed Change by Aftertouch. Now I have to choose if I control that by the Upper or the Lower Keyboard, but I cannot control it by both because the Aftertouch will only respond to one MIDI Channel instead of ALL. The Solution would be to make it possible to simply change that by Mouse and I might be happy, OK?

The other Solution would be to make it possible to assign one Parameter (here: Leslie Speed Change) to more than one Controller (here: Aftertouch of Channel Keyboard-One PLUS Aftertouch of Channel Keyboard-Two). But one of these Solutions should be possible to make it work at all.

I cannot find any of these Solutions in any Manual, so is this possible ... that's my Question.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 10:04:08 pm »
In cases where you don't have a Midi controller and wan't to change parameters in an Arturia application, then you can change a parameter by using the mouse. Just click on the parameter and drag. Some parameter might only need you to click, if the parameters is switches.
You don't need to assign anything to do this.
In the case of change the Leslie speed in B3V2, then you can just click on the parameter on the GUI, then iy change.
(I see you write B4, if you mean NIs old B4 organ, then i don't have, and can't tell how it work. I assume you can do similar.)
If you mean you wan't to create automation parameters in your DAW by moving a control this way, then that will depend on your DAWs possibilities.

A parameter in any application can only be assigned one Midi CC.
In the case of your B3 (B4?) example when using your hardware controllers, then if the Leslie Speed is assigned to a midi cc on midi channel 1, then it can only be controlled by somehow using midi channel 1 and that midi cc to control it.
Lets say you have your 3 controllers on midi channel 1,2 and 3 set to use a single organ instance in your DAW on 3 tracks set to send on respectively midi channel 1, 2 and 3. Then only the track that work on Midi channel 1 will change the Leslie Speed if it's assigned to a midi channel 1 cc.
Your DAW may offer other possibilities. And there may be other possibilities, depending on your tools.

Please only reply in this thread about this.

parodise

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 06:43:41 pm »
 :-[ Thank you, I use the Arturia PlugIns for 17 Years yet and I learned in the Meantime how to move a Parameter by Mouse. This is not was I am asking for.  ::)  I just talk about MIDI Control Assignment. I want to assign or change the MIDI Control Parameters by Mouse, not only in Learning Mode by moving a Controller, later I might use a Controller, but I don't want to NEED a Controller to assign, I hope you understand me now.

And yes, I described exactly the Problem of this Assigning you offered me as a Solution.  :-[ If I could choose 'All Channels' instead of being damned to use the MIDI Channel of any stupid external Controler (which I do not want, as I said above) to assign a Parameter of any Instrument, I would not have this Problem with the B3V2 (not B4 of course, sorry).

I just want to have the Freedom back (I remember it worked once with the older Arturia PlugIns) to assign MIDI Parameters without using a Controller or being nailed on a specific MIDI Channel there. Using DAWS since the 80s I know that in some DAWS there are Options to solve my 'B3-Problem' (Logic, Bidule), but in Cubase it gets complicated and in Ableton nearly impossible. It once worked, so it cannot be too complicated for Arturia giving this Option back to the Users.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 10:20:13 pm »
Why don't you use the Midi configs i told about in my first reply? If you create multiple midi configs using midi learn, then afterwards you just select a midi configs with your mouse to change the mapping.
Keep in mind that a parameter can be controlled by 16 midi channels, but just one at a time. A midi confing can in example have aftertouch ch1 in one midi config and aftertouch ch2 in another.

I don't think the Midi CC work in OMNI mode. It would be great, if that was an option, so a Midi cc for a control would work no matter on which midi channel the message is sent. I think perhaps, i can remember years ago, that some old Arturia applications could do this. But i'm not 100% certain. I would vote for this feature. (I also would'nt mind, if one could write midi cc mappings in a file.)
If you have a controller or something else, that can send a OMNI message, then i can't tell if Arturias applications will react on this when midi learning and then set a parameter to OMNI. I don't have the possibility to test this.
A good thing about beeing able to use multiple midi channels for midi cc messages is that it can expand the number of availble midi cc's. (But when MIDI 2.0 arrive, then things may change a lot.)
Perhaps this method depend on the DAW, when used in a DAW.
Have you tried this?

Some controllers have controls that can be set to send on a certain midi channel. I don't know if any controllers can set aftertouch to a certain channel that's independent though. But if your controllers all can set a control to work on a certain same midi channel while the keys send on different midi channel, then this also is a solution.
Perhaps this method depend on the DAW, when used in a DAW.
Have you tried this?

When you say "assign by hand ...", then do you mean to be able to write the informations in the midi learn popup window by using your mouse and your computer keyboard? But how will you do this without being in midi learning mode?
If you don't mean normal midi learn, and don't mean changing the parameters values by using your mouse (Nothing to do with midi learn.), and don't mean using Midi configs, and don't mean the above writing in the midi learn popup, then i can't understand what else you mean. Where excactly will you change excactly what and how excactly will you do it?

If you wan't something, that you can't do now, then it's a feature request - yes. But then what excactly is the feature request? A MIDI OMNI mode for Arturias applications individual MIDI CC's?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines