March 28, 2024, 03:43:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Why the Synclavier?  (Read 1783 times)

djerzinski

• Apprentice
Why the Synclavier?
« on: August 18, 2021, 02:26:05 pm »
This VST is one of the few in the collection I didn't bother too much with.
Is it worth diving into it? What are its interesting features? Why would you use this over a regular sampler? (besides whatever saturation/bitcrushing this emulation has)
So far, I don't see anything appealing besides the resynthesis thing.

LBH

Re: Why the Synclavier?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 12:05:30 am »
Hi,

Actually the original Synclavier originally did'nt have sampling and resynthesis. It arrived later.

Some features you have'nt mentioned Synclavier V have:
- Timelines/ Frames
- 12 Partials each with it's own sound and modulation harmonics, own set of envelopes, key dynamics and other modulator settings
- Additive synthesis
- Frequence modulation
- 12 channel Mixer

Synclavier V is the only application beside organs that use Additive synthesis in V-Collection 8.
Pigments have got an Additive module, that work in another way, and some additive wavetables.

The Timeline with it's 100 Frames give lots of possibilities for many dynamic changing sound variations.

The Modulator Harmonics are also availble for samples and can be changed dynamicly.

Perhaps it's not for you, but if one will take the time it takes, then it's possible to be quite creative with Synclavier V.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 12:12:54 am by LBH »

djerzinski

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 10:52:24 am »
Hi LBH, thanks for your reply.

I only heard of more ancient versions of the Synclavier yesterday, maybe I should check it out to understand better the basics of that instrument and the ideas behind it.
That morphing feature looked really interesting to me when I first saw it, but making it work was a little confusing so I didn't go very far with it, I need to take a closer look this evening.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 05:46:31 pm »
Your welcome djerzinski.

No doubt one have to be dedicated and use the time it can take to build own sounds in Synclavier V.

Just in case: Keep in mind, that the (frame) MODULATION parameter on the Engine page is related to the settings of the individual Partial F.M. Amount and the Timbre Setting F.M Modulation on the front panel. Both need to be at a positive setting if the (frame) MODULATION parameter on the Engine page shall have any effect, and thus if the Modulator Harmonics (and Harmonic ENV) shall have any effect on the sound.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines