March 29, 2024, 07:44:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: B3 with two keyboards  (Read 8448 times)

kensmithh95

• Apprentice
B3 with two keyboards
« on: February 05, 2020, 11:40:45 pm »
Hi up there guys! I recently acquired 2 new keyboard controllers. One is M-Audio 88 Key and the other one is a Midiplus BK49-2. I specifically bought the 49 keys one to be used with my Arturia B3 VST. I installed the Arturia one and everything worked perfect with the 88 one and connected the 49 controller which works fine with all the VST´s. However, It would not allow me assign the keyboard for each controller. I want the 49 to control one of the Organ Keyboards and the 88 one to control another different one. However, both controllers would play on the same organ keyboard. I used the Multi option and assigned two different channels and did not work at all. Also, checked on the controllers and seems like both of them are coming through the same MIDI port which is the root cause of all of this. Once I get into the Audio midi Setup ( I  currently use a Macbook Air) my laptop would not allow me to change the port for each controller so I am kinda sad, and not sure what to do in order to resolve this. Any help coming from you guys would be extremely appreciated!

LBH

Re: B3 with two keyboards
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 12:27:28 am »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

In my DAW it's possible to have a single plugin instance on multiple tracks. Then select different midi channels for each track to send to the single B3v2 instance. This way i in example can have 3 tracks that's set to the 3 manuals midi channel settings in B3s multi setup - like midi channel 1,2 and 3 for upper and lower manual and the pedals. That work.

I would assume that one can use multiple controllers the same way with the standalone version. But i only have one controller, so i can't test.
I suggest you contact Arturia support about this.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 12:37:11 am by LBH »

kensmithh95

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 05:05:42 am »
Well, let me show you what´s going on: I am using the Ableton Version which is attached to my M-Audio controller and as a secondary keyboard I am using a MIDIPLUS BK492 and both are being recognized through my Macbook as Port 1 for both controllers with no option to change it as you can see ( is all greyed out with no changing option whatsoever). Now, B3 Vst would only allow me to use either port 1 and some others, but I think the main issue is not being able to change the incoming port. What do I need to do in this case? ( Both controllers are being connected Via USB ordinary cable)

kensmithh95

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 05:50:36 am »
My MAC Setup and my controllers. As you can see, the whole setup would not let me change ports
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:52:14 am by kensmithh95 »

kensmithh95

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 05:58:22 am »
My MAC Setup and my controllers. As you can see, the whole setup would not let me change ports
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 06:08:14 am by kensmithh95 »

LBH

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 02:11:26 pm »
If you are saying, that you can't change MIDI channels like i described, then you shall be able to set each of your controllers (and also your DAW), to midi channel 1-16. Not in an apple port setup. A port and a channel is'nt the same. Each port has 16 channels.

Please refer to the manuals for your controllers about how to change the channel for each controller. I don't know about them.
Search for channel in the manuals. You can also ask in the forums for the controllers.

This is not about Arturias B3V2 application.

FYI: I'm a Windows user.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 02:13:16 pm by LBH »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 01:09:26 pm »
You don't change midi channels via the Mac app, you change the midi channels on your controller. Consult the instruction manuals for your controllers to find out how to do that. You need to set one controller to midi channel 1 and the other controller to midi channel 2.

You're complicating things further by using the VST as a plugin in Abelton, because Ableton will remap incoming midi from your controllers. The easiest way to do what you want to do is to use the B3 in standalone mode. In standalone mode, the upper manual will respond to input on midi channel 1 and the lower manual on midi channel 2. Set your controllers to midi channel 1 and 2 accordingly, ensure you have both controllers selected for input in the B3's preferences, and it will work how you expect it to.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

kensmithh95

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 05:00:08 am »
U guys are geniuses! Didn't know I had to re-trace the channel route so I checked on my manuals and worked like a charm! Appreciate you being so patient and guiding me to resolve this out. Again, thanks a lot for assisting me!

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 12:53:42 pm »
No worries. Helping each other is what this forum should all be about.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

LBH

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 01:23:58 pm »
U guys are geniuses! Didn't know I had to re-trace the channel route so I checked on my manuals and worked like a charm! Appreciate you being so patient and guiding me to resolve this out. Again, thanks a lot for assisting me!
Your welcome. Enjoy playing.

Perry Lancaster

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2021, 09:22:53 pm »
I have the same problem with the dual manual keyboards the B3V2 and the Vox Continental They work as they should with the upper keyboard Keylab 61 MKII and a StudioLogics SL88 plays the lower manual in standalone mode. but when I put either keyboard in my DAW, Studio 1 Pro the Keylab 61 MKII does not play the upper manual or any manual at all and the Studiologics SL88 can be setup to play either manual upper or lower but the Arturia Keylab 61 does nothing I want to be able to use both to play both the upper and lower separately but can't seem to make this work. It's been a couple of weeks of this and Arturia is no help at all they just pass the buck to Presonus and now they don't even reply to my email requesting help. All single manual virtual synths work fine in Standalone mode and as a VSTi in Studio One Pro. I would like to resolve this but have tried everything and no change within the DAW.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Perry

LBH

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 11:29:31 pm »
Hi,

Do you use the VST2 or the VST3 version of B3 V2 in Studio One?

Studiologics SL88 can be setup to play either manual upper or lower
Are you sure about this? Does'nt you only play the Upper manual - or are you changing midi channels for the plugins manuals? Can you play any manual that's set to other than midi channel 1?

Arturia Keylab 61 does nothing
Do you use the same midi channel settings from controller through Studio One to and in the Plugin like when you use the other controller?

Can you please post a screenshot of your Studio One track setup, that also show the controller and midi channel in and output settings in Studio one?
Which midi channel is the controller used set to, with this settings? And which midi channels is the B3 manuals set to with this settings?

LBH

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2021, 05:57:50 pm »
Hi,

Do you use the VST2 or the VST3 version of B3 V2 in Studio One?

Studiologics SL88 can be setup to play either manual upper or lower
Are you sure about this? Does'nt you only play the Upper manual - or are you changing midi channels for the plugins manuals? Can you play any manual that's set to other than midi channel 1?

Arturia Keylab 61 does nothing
Do you use the same midi channel settings from controller through Studio One to and in the Plugin like when you use the other controller?

Can you please post a screenshot of your Studio One track setup, that also show the controller and midi channel in and output settings in Studio one?
Which midi channel is the controller used set to, with this settings? And which midi channels is the B3 manuals set to with this settings?
Hi again,

FYI: I have Studio One 3 .

There was a reason to ask you the questions in my first reply.
But apparantly you are not interested in solving your issue, since you don't reply. But here is what i think it's about. It might help you, if you after all is interested in getting it to work and perhaps understand what your issue is about.
And it can explain different things for others too.
If this does'nt help you, then i doubt your issue is about B3 V.

In generel Studio One imho does'nt support VST3 very well.

Studio One give priority to VST3 versions when it share the same id with the VST2 version. That Arturias plugins does. That means you does'nt have access to the VST2 version, if you have both the VST2 and VST3 version installed and have Studio One set to read them both.
Studio One for some reason does'nt give you the option to select a midi channel to send to a VST3 plugin. I think it still is so. I have Studio One 3. (I can't tell if this can be about Arturia program plugins, but it work in some DAWs as it is, so it can just as well be a Studio One issue. But there are VST3 plugins out there that does work in this regard in Studio One, and others that like Arturias does'nt. (Studio One also does'nt support audio inputs to instrument plugins, so you can't use Arturias audio inputs in the applications that have this in Studio One. Just to tell you, that Studio One are missing some things that for me are basic features for a DAW. I hope this basic features will be added very soon.))
Basicly this means Studio One only send on midi Channel 1 to the plugin, when you use the VST3 version.

As Studio One does'nt have a OMNI mode. It can't pass multiple midi channels to a single plugin on a single track no matter which VST version you use.

In Studio One you have to use the VST2 version of the plugin, - then create 2 tracks and then select the same plugin to both tracks. This make it possible to have different send midi channels to the plugin.
If you also wan't to play the B3 pedals with a third midi channel, then you can create a third track with a third midi channel.
Also keep in mind, that you in Studio One can select a certain controller for each track, if you should need to do so for some reason.
And also keep in mind, that Studio One have dual midi channel settings. One for the input from a selected controller (not all inputs) that shall correspond to the midi channel the controller is set to, and one to send to the plugin that shall correspond to the midi channel the plugin use - in this case the manual is set to use.

If you use the VST3 version now in Studio One, then you have to either remove the VST3 version from the path Studio One read, uninstall the VST3 or disable Studio Ones VST3 support in the Services. Just keep in mind that if you disable the VST3 support, then you will not be able to use any VST3 plugins, if you wan't that. When you restart Studio One after disabling the VST3 support, then the VST2 versions will be availble in the plugin browser. The VST2 version will also be availble, when you start Studio One, if you choose to remove the VST3 version from the VST3 folder.

There a feature requests in Presonus Studio One forum, to get OMNI mode routing, and a plugin browser that show both VST2 and VST3 plugins no matter they share the same ID. There are DAWs that does this. Arturia can only ask Presonus to add this.
(FYI: There also is a feature request to have the possiblity to route audio into instrument plugíns there. And ther are requests to Arturia to create effect versions of plugins that accept audio input, but perhaps it's outdatet to do so.)

How to use Studio One is'nt a Arturia support issue. Other things might be.

You should be able to get it to work. I hope this helps.
I think this is most relevant for the topic to use a single plugin with different midi channel settings for the different manuals in a single B3 V instance in Studio One.

In short for Studio One:
1. Use the VST2 plugin version.
2. Use multiple tracks that all is set to use the same plugin instance.
3. Be sure to use the correct midi channel settings in the whole midi signal chain controller/ DAW in and out/ Plugin.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 07:03:52 pm by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines