March 29, 2024, 09:24:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MPE - Seaboard - Note off - Slide  (Read 1586 times)

eaman

• Apprentice
MPE - Seaboard - Note off - Slide
« on: February 03, 2020, 11:28:56 am »
Hello, I'd like to use Pigments with a Seaboard:
- How should I access "Slide" which is supposed to be ch74 ? On some preset it is on EXP on others I don't know how to get it
- How can i use Note OFF velocity, es. modify release (ADSR) / reverb based on Note Off velocity?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 12:37:04 am by eaman »

LBH

Re: MPE - Seaboard - Note off - EXP
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 04:40:04 pm »
In standard midi, then CC7 is normally associated with CUTOff. The cutoff in Pigments Multimode filter in filter slot 1 actually has CC7 assigned by default.
However i suggest you assign CC7 to in example one of Pigments Macros. Please see Pigments manual section 3.6.2. MPE Support where there are pictures of excactly that.
This way your Slide will controller whatever the macro you control is set to modulate.

Release Velocity is a standard midi control just like velocity. I assume this is what you mean.
It's shown here: https://rolisupport.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/36000019157-what-is-5d-touch-
Release velocity is'nt a control many instruments have yet. Pigments does'nt have it. Of Arturias synth i think only Matrix 12 and Synclavier have it.

eaman

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 07:17:22 pm »
Thanks.

The MPE "Slide" control can be set in the MPE menu and it's usually CC74 on the Roli Seaboard.
That is usually associated (I'm browsing presets) to MACRO 1, sometimes EXP as well.

As far as I can see I have found no way to assign "Slide CC" to anything else other than MACRO 1, even if I use the MIDI ASSIGN and change all that stays on MACRO 1. Thing is it would be nice for the Seaboard to have a "Slide Curve" editor as we have for Velocity and Aftertouch, this way it would be tied to the preset and we could have a starting value - dead zone.

Or it may be nice to leave Macro 1 alone (I get that I have to Remove All on Macro 1 and assign what I need to be related to Slide to it), or assign to another Macro...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 12:34:05 am by eaman »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 10:33:06 pm »
Your welcome.

Look like my "4" was broken. I meant Midi CC74 where midi CC7 is written.

Pigments modulation system offer many possibilities. I suggest you explore the possibilities.
Perhaps you can find something, you can use. Perhaps a LAG on Macro 1 will be helpful for your playing.

When MPE mode is on, then Slide is hardwired to Macro 1 yes.

I don't use MPE as i don't have a MPE controller, so i can't test if this work correct.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 11:39:25 pm by LBH »

eaman

• Apprentice
Re: MPE - Seaboard - Note off - Slide
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 12:47:04 am »
So in the end with Pigments and a Seaboard you have:

+ Good control for aftertouch and velocity
~ Half decent control on Slide
- No 5th dimension: Lift (which is the less important and used)

MPE support is very good to have but the implementation is not yet optimal, I guess that other expressive controllers are supposed to deal with Note Off velocity. From the usage point of view for Slide I would need a preset related setting to make it absolute - unipolar - bipolar and a velocity curve modifier.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 01:04:37 am »
~ Half decent control on Slide

From the usage point of view for Slide I would need a preset related setting to make it absolute - unipolar - bipolar and a velocity curve modifier.

As far as i can see, the you for Slide have the options:
Slide modes - Click and select on eof the following modes
1. Absolute
2. Relative Bipolar
3. Relative Unipolar
You can also
-  set the Bend range  - Click, hold and drag to set a value between 2 and 96
-  and change Midi CC   - Click, hold and drag to set a Midi CC
All this settings is in the popup window i told about you could see in the manual.

And you in example have the Lag in the Combinators as i suggested, that can make changes smoother. And you can also use the Remap in the Combinators. I don't know, if this work when Macro 1 set to Slide control in the MPE. But if other modulations act like Macro one, then it's possible it will work, if you do it correct. You can ask Arturia support about this. I'm interested in knowing this.
Again i suggest you exsperiment. You may find, that you have even more possibilities, than you can imagine right now.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 02:01:20 am by LBH »

eaman

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 10:44:20 am »
And you in example have the Lag in the Combinators as I suggested, that can make changes smoother.
Nope that does not cut it, Lag works in a time dimension (delay of application), I need to put a dead zone in AT (in order to not trigger it at pressing time) and a starting point (so I can use bipolar - decreasing values). The devs have to put an extra voice for Slide and Lift in the keyboard velocity curve selectors, I'd say that the distribution algo (uni, bipolar) is fine as it is as the controller should always stay in the same mode and the user should remap the values in the preset.

The extra mile would be to have those controllable by a MIDI CC (with something like a multiplier) in order to be able to tweak those while playing or as a personal preference.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines