April 25, 2024, 02:45:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Is it possible to get this sound with any of the V collection instruments?  (Read 2939 times)

v3nge

• Apprentice
https://youtu.be/EqCboLUPDC8

Around 8:31

It’s using a vcf I believe. I would think this would be achievable with one of the modular style instruments that have vcf, but I’m not very proficient with modular synths yet.

If someone could tell me if this is possible, I’d appreciate it a lot. Thanks!

LBH

Re: Is it possible to get this sound with any of the V collection instruments?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 02:09:32 am »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

what do you think is so speciel about the sound, that it should not be possible with many of V-Collections applications?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 02:23:27 am by LBH »

v3nge

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 02:46:55 am »
It seems to require vcf and S&H. I’m pretty new to V collection, but it seems many of the instruments don’t allow you to use these features in this way. I could be wrong, that’s why I’m asking.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 05:21:19 pm »
Yes but what is it in the sound you find is speciel, and that you like?
What is most important to recreate in the sound?

Do you actually ask about which application in V-Collection that is'nt one of the synths you will call modular but still shall use VCF and S&H to create the sound and use nothing nothing else?

Which applications do you wish to use? It's true that Modular, ARP 2600 and Synthi have modules named S&H. But other synths like in example Mini, Prophet VS, CS-80 and Matrix 12 has S&H/ Random features in the LFO and all have VCFs and can modulate the filter too.

Keep in mind that a random modulation can be produced in different ways in different synths including using a random modulation sequencer.
Some synth may use other methods than a VCF and S&H to create sounds in this area.

Don't be afraid to use modular synths. You also use modulation matrixes in other synths, and perhps more complicated synthesis in others. What do you call modular?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 05:28:10 pm by LBH »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 02:15:31 pm »
I think in a nutshell LBH he just wants advice on how to create that sound. Doesn't matter which instrument.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

LBH

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 05:11:53 pm »
I think in a nutshell LBH he just wants advice on how to create that sound. Doesn't matter which instrument.
Hi MajorFubar,

I mean that all the mentioned synths have the features to have the filter modulated by an random source. And as such they all can produce a random modulated filter. But they may not produce the same result. So what's liked in the sound may have an impact on which synth to choose, to best create the detail in the sound, that one wan't.
It may matter which instrument, - or perhaps not.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 05:13:37 pm by LBH »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 05:17:00 pm »
Agreed, but I'm not sure even the op knows the answer to that. I just think he wants to know how to most closely reproduce the sound he wants. Let's see what he comes back with.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

v3nge

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 02:23:48 am »
Okay, so I I’m mostly interested in recreating that sound. I have a very basic knowledge of synthesizers, so I was originally just trying to recreate how they were getting the sound with the Cat in the video. I like the random notes and lengths. If there’s a different way to get that, that will sound like the sound in the video, that would be fine.

Also, sorry for the late response. I wasn’t sure how to respond to your question and then I forgot. Thanks again for the help!

LBH

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 01:58:36 am »
How to answer this now?

I must understand, that you actually wanted to ask: "How to recreate the random modulation method used in the video, without using the modular synths?".
You could also have asked: "How to recreate the random modulation method used in the video in "a certain synth"?", as you does'nt mention anything about the timbre that should be speciel.
In the first case a generel answer could have been given, just like i can now. In the second case the answer could have been synth specific.
I just wonder, that if you wanted to ask "How to ......?", then why did'nt you make it clear?

I can guide you to this essense to get the modulation effect now:
- Set a high amount for the Resonance.
- Then set a random source to modulate the Cutoff - and perhaps also set a manual setting after your liking. - You can exsperiment with using negative and positive modulation.
This recreates the things you say you like - and thus i must understand that's what you find most important.
You will get a result in all the synths i mentioned in my earlier post. The result will be more or less like in the video depending on the synth you use.

Mini V is perhaps the most simple synth. So the essense for the modulation in Mini V is this:
- Set a high amount for the Resonance/ Emphasis.
- Select the Random waveform for the LfO in the extended view - and set a tempo for the LFO.
- Add LFO to modulate the Cutoff in the modulation matrix with the desired amount. (The LFO is in the extended view, and so is the modulation matrix where you set the modulation depth for it.)
- Set the Cutoff to a desired amount.
It may or may not satisfy what you are looking for. You can use the method in other synths and hear the different results..
I attach a quick Mini V example preset using this method. Try to change Cutoff, Emphasis, and the LFO modulation depth and listen to the results.

I also attach Aa Matrix 12 preset where i route the LFO through the Track 1. So you can also try to change the Track 1s 5 parameters to get a change in the random behavior. At the default setting - as saved - the Track has'nt any impact.

Is this what you wanted?
I actullay thought you knew this, based on your questions and answers in the beginning, even if i had a feeling, that you may wanted someone to tell you how. Don't exspect sounds to be made for you, even if you can be lucky.
Please ask directly and precise another time. That will be best for all.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 02:07:27 am by LBH »

v3nge

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 08:20:43 pm »
I mean, I thought my question was pretty precise. Maybe, there's a language barrier here. I wasn't asking for someone to "make the sound for me," I was simply asking if it was possible, and maybe hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Nonetheless, thank you for your help and for the examples, you're certainly a very speciel person  :)

LBH

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 03:24:17 am »
I was simply asking if it was possible,
What if i had said "yes" instead of "why not"?

Was the presets the sound you was looking for?

v3nge

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 06:13:11 pm »
That would have been fine. It would tell me that I’m not wasting my time. My main reason for asking is because I was contemplating buying the Cat when it comes out, but if it’s possible to replicate with v collection, then there’s no need.

Your examples definitely give me a starting place, thank you.

LBH

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 02:39:50 pm »
Then please report back, when you have recreated the sound in all it's details it has at any point in the video, as it look like that indeed was what you meant and asked for, and tell for certain if the answer to your question is a "yes".

Have a good time.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 03:11:17 pm by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines