April 16, 2024, 07:24:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Custom Installation Location Request  (Read 2529 times)

MattGreer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Custom Installation Location Request
« on: February 01, 2020, 11:29:01 pm »
Like many of the posts and comments I've seen on the Internet, I'm here asking to please allow us users to install any and all software and plugins in a custom location of our choosing.

I run Cubase and Ableton and the content is kept off my OS drive.  Reason being I can image/restore much faster should something screw up with Windows 10, which it does.  Everything is installed on my "E" drive, but Arturia will not allow this unfortunately.

Thanks for listening.

Bacon

Re: Custom Installation Location Request
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 06:44:22 pm »
Yes, please Arturia, make this an option at installation. I am looking at upgrading to V Collection 7 from V Collection 5 but I don't have space for the additional instruments. So, no upgrade for me as long as I can't install the content on my D drive.

Specifically, it should be possible to choose a different location for everything that now goes into the C:\ProgramData\ folder.

djerzinski

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 09:57:16 am »
Same here. My Arturia folder takes 20+% of the space on my system partition and until they do something about the installation path, I won't upgrade, I don't have space for it, it's as simple as that.
If it's really not possible to do something about it, they should at least ask us if we want to install the plugins for every windows size or not (image files are thething that takes so much space). Personally, I only need 2, maybe 3, sizes (depending on the plugin).

BobS

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 12:03:56 am »
I would like to echo this as well. I have had to uninstall the V Collection in the meantime due to space constraints on the C drive.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 09:59:50 am »
In 2020 when 1TB SSD drives are $100, I find it hard to grasp that anyone doesn't have the space to download V Collecton. Really? Honestly? In which case V Collection is the least of your problems, your drive or partition is running critically low on space.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

djerzinski

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 03:59:01 pm »
In 2020 when 1TB SSD drives are $100, I find it hard to grasp that anyone doesn't have the space to download V Collecton. Really? Honestly? In which case V Collection is the least of your problems, your drive or partition is running critically low on space.

Just in case you didn't understand the problem: Arturia won't let you chose the install path, it goes directly on the smaller "system" partition. I think it's pretty common usage to choose a partition size of about 100-150 Go for your system, so with Arturia being greedy (jk) and taking up to 30 Go of space, you can see it can be problematic. I kinda insist on this issue because no other application take that much space on my main partition (because usually most devellopers ask me about the install path).

Obviously, I could upgrade my gear or just format my hdd and pick a better partition size, but it would really be a hassle to put back everything in place.

djerzinski

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 06:24:30 am »
Since I've made that thread, Arturia implemented the install path choice, which is great. But actually, it created another problem for me, installing CAM stuff on an HDD, as opposed to an SDD, isn't a good idea if you like things to load fast, and I only realized this recently.

I now have another request: letting you choose the install path for the plugin AND the install path for presets and samples. I found a way to artificailly have this using mklink commands, but I think next updates won't be without issues.

On a related topic, it would be nice if we could choose which GUI size we want to install, personally, I only use 80% and the rest is basically unused, and it's A LOT of png files. I tried deleting these image folders but it breaks the plugins.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines