March 29, 2024, 12:51:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MOD Wheel has never worked on Keylab Mk II (Pitch, etc work fine)  (Read 4414 times)

1guywondering

• Apprentice
Hello there,
I have a relatively new Arturia Keylab 61 Mk II and so far, after using it for a couple of months, the Mod Wheel is not working.
It does NOT work in Analog Lab 4 or in any plugin. The Pitch Shifter DOES work all the time. As do the keys/sounds.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would GREATly appreciate it.

I don’t know of any settings that are required that I haven’t already looked at. What I HAVE looked at:
1.   When I go into Arturia’s MIDI Control Centre software and click on the Mod Wheel, it shows the following chosen settings:
Mode: Control (as opposed to Off)
Channel: Part 1 (As opposed to Part 2 or Both)
CC Number: 1-Modulation
2.   When I go into Analog Lab 4 MIDI Settings, it shows the following settings:
MIDI Controller: Keylab mkII
MIDI channel: All
3.   When I “Show keyboard”, in Analog Lab 4 I can see:
keys being pressed AND the Pitch Wheel responding, but no response when I move the Mod Wheel.

LBH

Re: MOD Wheel has never worked on Keylab Mk II (Pitch, etc work fine)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 11:21:57 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

1.   When I go into Arturia’s MIDI Control Centre software and click on the Mod Wheel, it shows the following chosen settings:
Mode: Control (as opposed to Off)
Channel: Part 1 (As opposed to Part 2 or Both)
CC Number: 1-Modulation
What's the min and max value? Is the min less than max value like min=0 and max=127?

Is it on all sounds the modwheel does'nt work? If so - then keep in mind that not all sounds are set to use modwheel.

I suggest you test your midi output. If you are on Windows you can use midiox: http://www.midiox.com/
Move the modwheel and see if midiox registrate it.
Don't do the test through a DAW. Only run midiox and your Keylab MKII.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 11:28:54 pm by LBH »

1guywondering

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 10:28:00 pm »
Thanks, LBH, for your quick response help!!

I installed MIDIOX. I went into the Help menu to figure out how to use it. I opened the Input and Output windows. There are both Empty. And I read this in "Getting Started":

If both the Input and Output windows are empty, then Windows is reporting that you do not have any MIDI devices. If you actually do have MIDI equipment, then you will have to install or re-install the device drivers for that equipment.

Does this make sense to someone with more experience than I?

I forgot to mention previously that I connected another (Oxygen) MIDI keyboard to my DAW and the Mod Wheel worked fine.

But today, strangely, I am not actually getting ANY sound when i play the Mk II keys. In MIDI Control Center, I do see a green down arrow indicator lighting up, tho, when i hit Mk II keys. I was at least getting sound yesterday.

Any further input would continue to be appreciated. And if there are better resolution type channels to go through, I would be happy to make this easier for all.

1guywondering

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 10:33:45 pm »
PS:
The min value was, indeed, less than the max: 1 vs 127
I never got the mod wheel to work on ANY patch/sounds, whereas the Oxygen MIDI keyboard Mod Wheel DID work.

LBH

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 11:10:49 pm »
Did you try to play your keyboard and use the wheels, when you opened MIDIOX? If so - Did you see any informations on the screen? If not - try.
Be sure that the "MIDI Filter" is activated in MIDIOX Option menu? Nothing else need to be active.
In the bottom of the window be sure the "REC" is selected.

But are you now saying, that everything in the last months have worked except the modwheel, but today nothing works?
Have you set up Analog Lab and your controller according to the manuals guides? Are your controller selected both in the audio midi settings and in the bottom toolbar of Analog Lab?
Can you please poset screenshots of your Audio and Midi settings in Analog standalone application, and if you use a DAW, then please post screenshots of how you have set up your controller. All informations can be needed.
Do you have issues with both the standalone and the plugin versions?

At this point it can't be ruled out, that you have broken hardware. But with the availble informations it does'nt have to be so.
It can be a defect USB connection and perhaps even other things.

You can allways contact Arturia support, if you need it. Provide the needed informations for Arturia support to be able to help. Perhaps the solution is in the manuals.

1guywondering

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 11:49:01 pm »
Thanks for your additional help, LBH!! Your latest words are in blue, below.

Be sure that the "MIDI Filter" is activated in MIDIOX Option menu?
OK - MIDI filter IS selected in Options.
In the bottom of the window be sure the "REC" is selected.
Yes.

Did you try to play your keyboard and use the wheels, when you opened MIDIOX?
Yes
If so - Did you see any informations on the screen?
No

But are you now saying, that everything in the last months have worked except the modwheel, but today nothing works?
Yes. But I got the sounds back by closing and opening apps.

Have you set up Analog Lab and your controller according to the manuals guides?
The MkII controller guide says I just have to plug the USB cable into my computer. I have also checked all the settings we have discussed.

Are your controller selected both in the audio midi settings and in the bottom toolbar of Analog Lab?
Yes

I will post screen shots next time.

The MkII is now getting sound thru my DAW and pitch wheel works, but MOD Wheel still does Not work.
With Analog Lab standalone, there is no response to me playing the MkII, but if I use my mouse to click on the MKII keys on the screen, I DO get sound.

LBH

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 01:14:25 am »
The MkII is now getting sound thru my DAW and pitch wheel works, but MOD Wheel still does Not work.
With Analog Lab standalone, there is no response to me playing the MkII, but if I use my mouse to click on the MKII keys on the screen, I DO get sound.
If you can use your controller in any way in your DAW, then you should also see results in MIDIOX.
It would be fast to get a result, if you could make MIDIOX work for you. But we leave it, if you can't.
The screenshots you will post may give more clear answers.

Also it make no sense, if you have setup you controller like your answers tell, that you can get sounds in your DAW while nothing work in Analog Lab, when you use your controller.
This can indicate, that your controller is'nt setup to control Analog Lab in Analog Labs Audio Midi settings. But you say you have, and if that's true, then perhaps you could try to reinstall Analog Lab.

In your DAW, then if only the modwheel does'nt work, then it can be about you have filtered out that functionality in your DAW setup.

It's allways a possibility to make a factory reset of your controller. This can solve errors in the controllers system. Please read the manual and follow the instructions and safety procedures about this procedure.

Are you sure your USB cable and connections work correct? If not, then you can get an unstable behavior.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:20:00 am by LBH »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 11:55:52 am »
Like LBH says above, perform a factory reset on your controller. I haven't got the manual handy but there will be a shortcut method of doing this which usually involves switching it on or plugging it in while pressing a certain combination of keys or buttons. If it still doesn't work after that, chances are the mod wheel is broken.

If you purchased the controller new, you should probably have taken it back when you first suspected there was a problem, but a few months down the line should still be soon enough to have it repaired or replaced under your country's statutory rights.

If you purchased it used, then unfortunately that's more of a minefield unless you purchased it from a trader who offered a warranty. From my personal experience, half the used kit for sale out there is only being sold in the first place because the seller is trying to dispose of something he knows is defective but they play the ignorance card. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but that's my experience. If you're reasonably comfortable with dismantling it and having a look inside, it could be something that could be cured really simply by e.g. re-seating the ribbon cable connecting the daughter-board to the main PCB. but obviously you do that at your own risk.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

onnikoo

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 02:08:56 am »
Hi 1guywondering ! Did you find a solution to the problem? I just bought Keylab 61 MKII today, and it seems to have the same problem: the modulation wheel does not respond to anything.

There are the same settings In Midi Control Center than on your set up and the mod wheel is not working on any synth / setting on Analog Lab. On Midi Control Center when any key/wheel/knob/fader is used the action indicated with an arrow on top left corner of the MCC window. Modulation wheel gives me nothing :-(

I did the factory reset, I installed the latest firmware - still no response.

I tested it on Windows / MIDI-OX as LBH suggested. All the keys, pads, faders, knobs and pitch wheel give very clear response but nothing from modulation wheel.

Tomorrow I will give a call to the reseller. I'll let you know what happens.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:14:20 am by onnikoo »

bostonsynth

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 02:13:56 am »
I am sorry you are dealing with this. I don't have that exact problem but I just bought my MKII a few days ago and it's sadly not quite what I had hoped it would be. My mod wheel actually sounds like it's stepping values (skipping) and it sounds awful. Not smooth at all.

I confirm this by using the mod wheel with my mouse on the GUI of VSTs and (it's smooth as can be) then compare that sound to my using the physical wheel. Choppy steps. There is a clear difference. I have a full MIDI studio it's certainly not something I can fix on my end.

There definitely seems to be a pattern regarding quality control and certain batches. Bummer. We're not all crazy.  ??? :)

Have you seen any error or response of *any kind* from MIDI OX and seeing if the wheel is transmitting anything at all?

Hi 1guywondering ! Did you find a solution to the problem? I just bought Keylab 61 MKII today, and it seems to have the same problem: the modulation wheel does not respond to anything.

There are the same settings In Midi Control Center that on your set up and it is not working on any synth / setting on Analog Lab.  Also on Midi Control Center when keys are pressed or whatever else is touched on the keyboard it is indicated with an arrow on top left corner of the window. Modulation wheel gives me nothing :-(

I did the factory reset, I installed the latest firmware - still no response.

I tested it on Windows / MIDI-OX as LBH suggested. All the keys, pads, faders, knobs and pitch wheel give very clear response but nothing from modulation wheel.

Tomorrow I will give a call to the reseller. I'll let you know what happens.

onnikoo

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 02:20:15 am »
Have you seen any error or response of *any kind* from MIDI OX and seeing if the wheel is transmitting anything at all?

Nope. MIDI-OX did not react on modulation wheel. No errors, nothing at all. However all the other functions responded immediately and clearly (it was kind of interesting info to see)

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 09:54:10 am »
It definitely sounds like a hardware fault, which happens sometimes unfortunately.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

onnikoo

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 10:35:41 am »
I called the store today. They were very kind and helpful. Based on the MIDI-OX report they were also pretty sure that it is a hardware fault but it can be repaired. They asked me to bring the keyboard to the store and they will forward it to service which will take 1–2 weeks :'(  which was very sad news for me. Then they asked if I had registered the product and activated the Serial number / Unlock Code. Yes I have. But if I hadn't they would have had a possibility to give me a replacement right away. But in this case the normal sercive procedure will be followed. However - the warranty is two years long so I told them that I will take it to be serviced in a bit later. Until then I will play with it all days and nights ;)

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 11:32:51 am »
I have learned from experience that it's always wise to check any new hardware for faults before going online to register your purchase. If you haven't registered the product, it's much easier to persuade the retailer to exchange it rather than repair it. This is something that, like you, I learned the hard way.

The modwheel is nothing but a digital pot connected to the motherboard with a ribbon cable, so it's going to be a real easy fix, whatever the cause. Probably the ribbon cable just needs re-seating.

bostonsynth

• Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 02:07:43 pm »
I have learned from experience that it's always wise to check any new hardware for faults before going online to register your purchase. If you haven't registered the product, it's much easier to persuade the retailer to exchange it rather than repair it.

^THIS

Same here. #1 rule of new gear.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines