March 28, 2024, 10:05:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Arturia iPad Synths...effectively abandonware?  (Read 2185 times)

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Arturia iPad Synths...effectively abandonware?
« on: January 27, 2020, 02:31:08 pm »
Arturia seem to have abandoned the development of iPad versions of their synths despite the fact modern iPads and especially iPad Pros are easily powerful enough to run them, and despite mobile computing being indisputably the new bandwagon that forward-thinking developers are jumping on.

The (few) iPad Synths that are available desperately need a refresh and upgrade: only the iSEM can be used as an audio unit, while the iSpark, iProphet and iMini are bordering on being obsolete, because they support only the deprecated inter-app audio protocol which app developers and Apple are abandoning.

Other manufacturers are leaving you behind creating really powerful iPad synthesizers, some of which are even free. I won't list any here because that would look like an advert for competitors' products, but presumably you are astute enough to see what's going on in the market. What gives?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 04:31:33 pm by MajorFubar »
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Re: Arturia iPad Synths...why are they bordering on being abandonware?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 01:48:19 am »
Seems like those apps are subcontracted out to another developer to code, so it seems like that is the problem. I forgot the names, but isem and ispark are one software company, and imini and iprophet are another. The last 2 are very obsolete and I just use other apps instead. Isem is still fantastic, It's a staple of mine. i wish ispark was slightly better, but I still use it.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Arturia iPad Synths...why are they bordering on being abandonware?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 04:31:01 pm »
I wasn't aware their development was contracted out, but that would explain why there appears so much disparity between the apps' functionalities.

Maybe there hasn't been a strong enough interest and Arturia feel the sales are too slow to justify further development, but it's a catch 22 situation because serious iPad creators are not going to spend money on obsolete apps which can't be used as Audio Units.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

sonmezroy

Re: Arturia iPad Synths...effectively abandonware?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 10:34:32 am »
I bought it when it came out. The modular synth part got me in but that hasnt been released. Have never used the app again since release.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines