March 29, 2024, 06:39:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: how do I change midi ports?  (Read 1486 times)

colibas

• Apprentice
how do I change midi ports?
« on: January 27, 2020, 05:47:31 am »
Hi,

The Keylab has midi out through midi and over USB. It also has CV out. Is there a way to toggle between these?

I am running a hardware synth with the midi out port and Analog Lab with USB. Can I control which of those instruments I'm playing? Obviously, it is simple to switch midi channels, but that is something else. I am currently manually muting the synth to switch sounds. There must be a better way I am just missing.

Thanks,
Sean

LBH

Re: how do I change midi ports?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 05:15:02 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

If i understand you correct, then you in example would like 3 buttons to switch USB, MIDI 5 PIN and CV output on and off individually or something similar.
As far as i know, then you can't do that. There is only global settings for passing thru incomming messages.
Having the choice to manage the 3 outputs will not help anyway, if you have multiple midi units and needed to manage them individually. A global switch would affect all units on that output.

Can't you assign buttons to mute instruments or similar?
Mixers are often used, when using different soundsources. That also helps to manage different soundsources.

Beside that you have multiple midi channels like you mention.

colibas

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 06:14:13 pm »
Thanks for the welcome and your reply. It's good to know I'm not just missing something obvious.

Could I ask for a little clarification on two points?
When you write, "There is only global settings for passing thru incomming messages," you mean settings to control whether (for example) incoming CV is sent out again as midi, correct?  You're right, that's not what I'm looking to control.

When you ask, "Can't you assign buttons to mute instruments or similar?" Do you mean buttons on the Keylab? That's a good idea. I could mute midi by switching to a channel I'm not using. And I could mute Analog lab by pulling down the master volume slider. But it won't work for CV.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 07:01:03 pm »
I don't have a Keylab MKII. At least not yet. I can only give you suggestions.

When you write, "There is only global settings for passing thru incomming messages," you mean settings to control whether (for example) incoming CV is sent out again as midi, correct?
This is how the manual describe the global possibilities for this:
MIDI In to USB On/Off - Choose whether to pass incoming MIDI data to USB host
USB In to MIDI Out On/Off - Choose whether to pass USB host data to MIDI Output
I don't think Keylab MKII recieve CV messages. Why should it?

When you ask, "Can't you assign buttons to mute instruments or similar?" Do you mean buttons on the Keylab? That's a good idea. I could mute midi by switching to a channel I'm not using. And I could mute Analog lab by pulling down the master volume slider. But it won't work for CV.
I mean any control on the keylab, that work best for a certain task. For mute i think a button or pad is great. For volume a slider or knob and so on. Anything that work for you with any parameter will do.

I would assume your CV possibilities is only restricted by what's possible to control on a synth, and by the fact you only have 2 CV mods. As far as i can tell Keylab MKII can use any control for the CV mods, - and you can even send Midi CC messages through the CV mods, if the Mod CV source is set to Midi.
SO why should'nt it work for CV?
Have you read the manuals and look in your Midi Control Center (MCC)? I suggest you do.
And i suggest you try it out.

And i mentioned a mixer. That can be a good tool. How do you mix your audio outputs from all your soundsources?

colibas

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 07:40:55 pm »
Thanks again. I understand you now, and I think we are seeings things the same way. Yes, I've read the manuals for all these devices, including the MCC.

You asked, "How do you mix your audio outputs from all your soundsources?" And yes, I have a mixer. I could use that to mute inputs, but it is not as handy as the midi controller during live performance.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 08:44:14 pm »
Your welcome.

I have a mixer.
If it's a mixer that can be controlled by midi, then perhaps you can assign Keylabs controls to your mixer like in example buttons to mutes and sliders to volumes. And perhaps much more.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines