April 20, 2024, 02:04:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to connect multiple synths to BSP MIDI input?  (Read 1457 times)

Jason420

• Apprentice
How to connect multiple synths to BSP MIDI input?
« on: January 22, 2020, 07:30:40 am »
Hello,

Long time musician but new to MIDI. First time posting here. Have some potentially newbie problems. Hopefully someone can point me towards a solution.

My question is: How can I properly connect two keyboards to the midi input on the BeatStep Pro?

I prefer to record my sequences straight from a keyboard into the BSP instead of using the pads on the BSP. I'm trying to set it up so I can have two synth keyboards (both set to separate midi channels for sequencer 1 and 2) going into the 1/8" midi input on the BSP. With this workflow, I can quickly record to sequencer1 on one keyboard (then the BSP starts playing it back) and then record another part with the second keyboard to sequencer2. I'm using a Belkin style 5-way headphone splitter to sum the two keyboards into the BSP. This seems to work for a while but then I start getting a lot of hanging notes from both keyboards. When I disconnect the BSP from the midi input cable, everything appears to work fine. Is there a better way to sum the keyboard signals together? Sequencers 1 and 2 play back fine to my two keyboards using another Belkin style headphone splitter to split the midi out signals. All send/receive channels on the keyboards are set properly in respect to the BSP sequencer channels. All my DIN5 to TRS cables have the correct pinouts for BeatStep Pro.

Here is my set up:
Beatstep Pro as Master/firmware ver 2.0.1

BSP Midi out (sequencer1, channel 1 send) to MS-1 midi in.  MS-1 midi thru to TR-8s midi in.
BSP Midi out (sequencer2, channel 2 send) to CS1x midi in.
MS-1 midi out to BSP midi in (sequencer1, channel 1 receive).
CS1x midi out to BSP midi in (sequencer2, channel 2 receive).

Thanks for any advice!

Jason

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: How to connect multiple synths to BSP MIDI input?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 09:34:00 am »
Do your synths have Local-Off mode?  Setting Local-Off will ensure that the note you are playing on the synths' 'local' keyboard will not actually play the synth, but allow them to still receive and play via MIDI.  Also ensure that they don't THRU data on their outs or if they do, see if you can turn the 'soft THRU' off.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:35:37 am by megamarkd »
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Jason420

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 07:31:31 am »
Sorry so long to get back with an update. My synths do have local modes and I have them set accordingly. In the time since my post, I have solved the problem of combining and splitting midi signals by using a MIDI Solutions Merger and Thru boxes. What great utility devices these are! Have not had any stuck/hanging notes since I quit trying to split/combine the MIDI signals with the passive headphone splitters.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 10:59:42 am »
Ah great to hear.  I am a big fan of MIDI utilities such as mergers and splitters.  Life is some much easier when you don't have to chain instruments using their THRU's.
I have to mention iConnectivity products as they make wonderfully versatile MIDI routers that can be customised for jobs way beyond just merging and splitting.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines