March 28, 2024, 08:56:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Original ARP 2600 manual and Patch Book  (Read 4939 times)

Kevin R

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Original ARP 2600 manual and Patch Book
« on: January 14, 2020, 07:53:04 pm »
Now that Korg is putting out their reissue of the ARP 2600 they are providing the original manual and patch book (as well the new manual for their reissue) at their website on the ARP 2600 product page.

For anyone interested in the original manual and patch book they're here: https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/842/

The original manual and patch book are products of their time - and they look like it. But there's a lot of charm in that.

AndyRH

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Original ARP 2600 manual and Patch Book
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 02:43:14 pm »
Thanks for the links.
Those manuals are going to be quite useful.

djerzinski

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 07:24:55 am »
Thanks for the links dude. I'm still learning to use that synth (probably the one I want the most to master in the collection) and you motivated me to mess with it today. Every time I come back to it, it feels less and less esoteric.

I think there are mistakes in KORG patch book though, for example, in patch 24, they want to modulate VCO3's PW but they don't use any cable to bypass the VCO3's normalized saw in the audio mixer.
There was also another patch I tried (Octobass I think) where I had to modify the path to fix an infinite release situation.

The KORG version has a "Multiple" section, is it the same as the Voltage Processors section? How do you translate that on the plugin?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:13:23 am by djerzinski »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 10:20:09 pm »
I think there are mistakes in KORG patch book though, for example, in patch 24, they want to modulate VCO3's PW but they don't use any cable to bypass the VCO3's normalized saw in the audio mixer.
They modulate the VCO3 frequency with the VCO2 pulse in patch 24. No need to bypass anything in that sound, as it's a blend of VCO2 and VCO3. In the sound the VCO2 pulse is used both as a audio source into the mixer, and as FM for VCO3.
Please note, that there are extra sliders in Arturias version. In example the VCO3 pulsewave did'nt have a PWM slider in original hardware.
This two things you have missed.

There was also another patch I tried (Octobass I think) where I had to modify the path to fix an infinite release situation.
Please keep an eye on the notes for the sounds in the patchbook.
There are 2 notes for the Octabass. If you don't follow the notes in that sound, then the sound is infinite, just like you say. Infinite sound can in example be good for drones.
If the VCF output go directly to the mixer output, then nothing closes the gate, and then you will hear sound, if the filter in it self is'nt set to a value that give a none audioble output.
In the patch you see the filter is open. That is to tune the OSCs. After that close the filter and let the ADRS handle the amount. That's described in the notes for the sound.

So there are'nt the mistakes you think there are.
That said, then it's possible there are mistakes/ errors in the original hardware ARP manuals.

The KORG version has a "Multiple" section, is it the same as the Voltage Processors section? How do you translate that on the plugin?
The MULTIPLE on the hardware is used when you wan't to route a single output to multiple inputs.
In Arturias version you don't need this module, as you can draw multiple connections from any one output to multiple inputs.
So when the Multiple is used in the patch sheets, then you can just create the connections directly instead.

The Electronic Switch is another section. Keep in mind that the connectors for the Electronic Switch in Arturias version unfortunately still are'nt bi-directionel. So some of the sounds from the original patchbook that use the Electro Switch with connection C as input and A+B as output unfortunately can't be done in Arturias version, as Arturias version unfortunately only can use the Electronic Switch's A+B as inputs and C as output.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 11:18:10 pm by LBH »

djerzinski

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 11:42:00 am »
Thank you so much for the info. I will have a look tonight and try to correct the patches using your advices.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 04:41:15 pm »
Perhaps i should add, that you unfortunately can't count on the sound is correct, when you use the settings on the original patch sheets. But you can learn something anyway.

djerzinski

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 09:42:30 am »
It's fine, I don't care too much about the original sound. In this case, I think it's interesting because you can learn more about how you should use the synth. So far I tweaked all the patches I tried to get sounds I find interesting.
Some of the instructions in the patchbook are a little confusing though, for example, they talk about tuning the filter resonance to a fifth or something like that and I think it's difficult to handle it with just the information on paper.

LBH

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 02:04:13 pm »
It's fine, I don't care too much about the original sound. In this case, I think it's interesting because you can learn more about how you should use the synth. So far I tweaked all the patches I tried to get sounds I find interesting.
Fine.
Some of the instructions in the patchbook are a little confusing though, for example, they talk about tuning the filter resonance to a fifth or something like that and I think it's difficult to handle it with just the information on paper.
Something like that mean 1/5 of the resonance sliders length starting from minimum. So set the slider to something around that point.
But again - it might be another point on Arturias version, also because the filter/ resonance  does'nt sound excactly the same. But i would try different settings and hear the differences in the sound anyway. I would also do that, if i had the hardware version. It's a way to learn, as it look like you also exsperience.

EDIT: If "Fifth" is mentioned in relation with pitch, then it can be the interval fifth - that's 7 semitones above another. EDIT END
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 02:01:59 am by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines