March 29, 2024, 09:14:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: midi clock  (Read 2565 times)

gezshaper

• Apprentice
midi clock
« on: January 12, 2020, 06:26:10 pm »
I'm running a tr8 midi to matrixbrute  and the matrixbrute  seems to be master midi clock. How do I make the tr8  control the tempo?

Processaurus

Re: midi clock
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 07:45:17 pm »
Run a midi cable from TR8 MIDI out to Matrixbrute MIDI in. Make sure TR8 is set in its settings to be the MIDI clock master, and that it is set to send MIDI clock out the MIDI output. Then, press the button on the Matrixbrute that says “MIDI Sync”.

When you hit Play on the TR8, If all is well you should see the tempo on the Matrixbrute update to match the tempo sent from the TR8. It is normal to see the tempo wander around a little as the Matrixbrute follows (slaves to) the MIDI clock. Most midi clock senders won’t send clock unless they are playing. The start message is important, that the slave receives it so it starts, and can locate itself in the measure. With MIDI clock it is a regular thing to have to stop and restart the master while you are getting the slave set up. .

Processaurus

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 08:04:54 pm »
If that doesn’t work, there is a buried setting in the matrixbrute, that chooses the source for sync. It is possible this got switched. Hook up to a PC and run artiria’s Midi Control Center software, or if you have firmware 2.0 installed on the synth, press preset+seq+mod to get to the settings page. Sync source is row D, the options are internal, clock (the analog sync 1/8” jack on the back), USB, or MIDI in.  For the setup above, with 5 pin midi cable, you want the 4th button (MIDI) on row D switched on. You’d need to switch it to USB if you switched over to syncing the synth to a PC, via USB cable.

Good luck!

gezshaper

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 06:40:47 pm »
Many thanks Processaurus. The Tr8 was set up correctly just no luck with tempo control. Whenever I play a sequence on the matrixbrute it acts as master changing the TR8 tempo. I will take a look at that hidden setting tonight hopefully.

Thanks for the help. Nice one.

minus_ego

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 04:48:00 pm »
Many thanks Processaurus. The Tr8 was set up correctly just no luck with tempo control. Whenever I play a sequence on the matrixbrute it acts as master changing the TR8 tempo.

Hmmm, this should only be possible if you have the midi going OUT from the MatrixBrute to the IN on the TR8.

gezshaper

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 08:40:34 pm »
All sorted. Cheers for the pointers. Midi setting in the brute needed tweaking as suggested plus there was a conflict on which channels midi was being sent and received from. I'm now wired midi out of tr8  to midi in on the brute then midi out of the brute to midi in of my tb3. All singing and dancing together. Next step is to get the key step and prodigy added to the mix.

turbo_kev

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 11:39:24 pm »
On the this subject
is there a way of sending a trigger out from the tr8s to the MxB
sequencer so it advances 1 note on each trigger from the tr8s

cheers
kev
BWS 3.0.0,Spark LE, V Collection 6.2, BS1 & BS PRO, Keystep & Keystep pro  keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,Launch pad pro,ProFx8 v2,Icon m+ & D2,KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 ,1TB NVMe.M2, msi x99a sli + , NV GF Gt 710, Matrix Brute  Roland TR8S

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 01:11:04 am »
On the this subject
is there a way of sending a trigger out from the tr8s to the MxB
sequencer so it advances 1 note on each trigger from the tr8s

cheers
kev
I haven't got a TR-8S to test with, but could you use the TRIGGER OUT jack on it and connect that to the MxB Sync In? Then setting the MxB "Sync Clock In/Out Settings" to "1step" and program the TR-8S trigger track with fitting trigger events might work?

yeskeys

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 06:36:37 pm »
Most midi clock senders won’t send clock unless they are playing.

I've found that most midi clock senders always send clock.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines