April 23, 2024, 10:47:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Modifying that Program Data folder path  (Read 3072 times)

djerzinski

• Apprentice
Modifying that Program Data folder path
« on: January 09, 2020, 10:09:58 am »
Hi,

I'm currently cleaning and sorting my hard drive and I've just noticed that even though I installed Arturia Collection on my second partition, I still have that 15 Go folder on my system partition.

Is there a way to move that folder without having to reinstall everything?

LBH

Re: Modifying that Program Data folder path
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 04:04:25 pm »
HI,

You can't change or set install path for the things you have in the programData folder, even at initial install. It's a fixed path. You can only change VST2 paths and the standdalone application path. I would only recommend to change the plugin path, to install in afolder your host/ hosts read for the plugins.

As far as i know, then it's not recommended by anyone including Microsoft to move the programData folders or folders within that.
I believe it's possible, but it can give a lot of usage issues, and make it hard to get support, if you get issues. So unless you are a very exsperienced windows user and can support your self, then i would'nt relocate anything for the programData folder, and even then i don't think i would anyway.

I must say, that the more space Arturias applications take and the more applications there are, the more a possibility to change install paths is needed. Even if it's still not a huge amount of space it takes, then it's becomming quite a lot.
But i don't know, if the functionality will be harmed to much doing so.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 04:18:10 pm by LBH »

djerzinski

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 11:48:48 am »
Hey,

I eventually tried harder to find a solution for this problem and I think I found a way (by using the command lines robocopy and mklink). I don't know if it won't create problems (I worry about the presets). I'll keep you updated.

The space problem comes from the resizing feature. You have a ridiculous amount of png files in these folders. Arturia should leave the option for users to install all of it or just a few sizes, especially since that stuff goes on the system hard drive.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 09:21:32 pm »
I eventually tried harder to find a solution for this problem and I think I found a way (by using the command lines robocopy and mklink). I don't know if it won't create problems (I worry about the presets). I'll keep you updated.
Hi,

Thanks.
Won't updating, upgrading, and reinstalling get more difficult and manual by doing this?  It's more work i assume.
How will the preset, wavetable and sample files show in Arturia applications?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 09:26:33 pm by LBH »

djerzinski

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 01:57:03 am »
Actually, I didn't proceed yet because moving the files takes a long time and I had to interrupt my first attempt. But yes, you are right, there's also the updating thing I didn't take into account. That move can only work for files that won't change over time.
I guess I'll just wait Arturia do something about the resizing feature. It's really something they should think about imo, people usually have a 100 Go partition for the system and don't expect some software to eat up 20% of it.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines