March 28, 2024, 01:00:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Triggering a Keystep arpeggio like a TR707 triggering a Juno 60s Arpeggiator  (Read 2889 times)

sampler1

• Apprentice
This is really hard to explain so I will point at a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th7gkH10YFM&t=577s

After watching this video I got to thinking about my Keystep and if there is a way to trigger the keystep as he does in the video but with other types of gear. The trigger could be a hardware midi sequencer or maybe a midi drum machine but they do not have any sync trigger out.
Does anyone think this is possible and how would the connection be made? What equipment would be needed? It is not a matter of clock speed it is really triggering the Arpeggiator in the keystep..
I just can't seem to figure this out.

:) Help !

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
What he's doing there is triggering his synth using the rimshot trig output on the TR707, which disables the keyboard as a gate for the synth but still allows pitch to be determined by the keys as he's not connected anything to the pitch CV input on it.

Considering the KeyStep is a sequencer and not a synth, you can't really do that with it.  It has no trigger in and I dunno how it goes with advancing it's step via a trigger sent to it via its clock input.
You can us it to trigger other instruments that have analogue trig/gate by only connecting its gate output to the instrument's gate input and then hitting a note/chord on that instrument.  It's a fun way to run and I've done it with my MS-20 and a Fat Controller while I connected the CV outs to various non-pitch CV inputs.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:49:55 am by megamarkd »
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

sampler1

• Apprentice
Key step manual page 16 2.3.5
Looks to me like it can be done..

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Key step manual page 16 2.3.5
Looks to me like it can be done..

Can you elaborate please?
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

baronrouge

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Possibly a bit late for the OP who has probably figured it out by now but if it's any help to anyone else, you can indeed do exactly this.

Take your gate or clock out from whatever you want to use to trigger (in my case Beatstep pro rimshot i.e. drum gate 6) to the Sync in socket on the back of the Keystep and make sure you set the DIP switches on the bak to Sync In too.

If you have been mucking about with settings you may have to change a setting in Midi control centre as detailed in the manual but it my case it just worked straight off. Awesome arp patterns and a whole new pile of fun.

EDIT: been having a wee play and things behave much better if I set Sync In/Out to 1 step Gate rather than Clock in MCC
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 10:18:11 pm by baronrouge »

fenin

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
noice..
thanx for the info!

would be nice  to know if you can also triggering the keystep sequencer that way
and jamming with different rimshot/trigger steps for a  variation sequence.
keep on dubbin

fenin

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
it somehow worked also with the sequencer..

but i had some timimg issues (or clock deviding from 1/16 to 1/8)
depending on the sync in options in the mcc.
(have to figure it out)

I used the hi tom out of the tr 606
and a programmed sequence in the keystep,

and had some funny melodic results of the sequence
with some interesting bar processing, depending
of the steps i programmed in the 606.

dont know yet how to use this with
more aknowledge, but at least all is "try and error"  ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 09:03:52 pm by fenin »
keep on dubbin

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Loads of fun to be had by sending triggers to sequences to advance its position.  Line up several KeySteps and treat them like individual reels of a poker machine.  Send triggers from a different source to each using, say, the drum gate outputs on a BSP.  Set differing lengths on both the drum instrument tracks doing the triggering (if using a BSP), as well as differing length of the sequences on the KeySteps they are triggering, and presto(!), you have essentially your own Turing machine without having to go modular.   ;D
Yes it would be expensive but boy it would be amazing.  People have become famous for creating random melody generators in similar fashion, so maybe if you promote the exercise in the right way and charge people to listen to the results over a period of hours, then the money spent on eight KeySteps, a Beatstep Pro and [insert here a list of eight poly synths you'd like to own to run such a composition].  I'd do it myself but I am sorta limited in space for the next 8-12mths, unless I manufacture an eight tier KeyStep stand and somehow fit my M1 in somewhere.....(and somehow finance the seven more KeySteps I'd need!)

fenin

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
unless I manufacture an eight tier KeyStep stand

hell, yeah !! ;)

triggering 8 jupiters with different arpeggio settings
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 06:35:36 pm by fenin »
keep on dubbin

AliRethea

would love to know if this can be applied on the Keystep pro....  ???
Cheers.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines