March 28, 2024, 10:19:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Expression Pedal to control Volume with Analog Lab  (Read 4111 times)

kurtlogic

• Apprentice
Expression Pedal to control Volume with Analog Lab
« on: January 02, 2020, 10:20:54 pm »
Hello:
Can anyone hip me on how to get my Moog expression pedal to work with Analog lab to control volume from my
Keylab 88 (for example with the Suitcase instrument)?

Thank you in advance!
Kurtlogic.

LBH

Re: Expression Pedal to control Volume with Analog Lab
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 01:52:04 am »
Hi,

As you can read in Analog Lab manual section 3.3.2.4.:
"Reserved MIDI CC numbers
Certain MIDI Continuous Controller (MIDI CC) numbers are reserved and cannot be reassigned to other controls:
All other MIDI CC numbers may be used to control any assignable parameter in Analog Lab."
Among those reserved Midi CCs is Expression (CC #11).

That's because the Expression pedal is used as amodulator in Arturias applications modulation matrixes and such. Many sounds allready use the expression pedal for one thing or another.

You can in example change the Midi number for your Expression pedal in your Midi Control Center to a none reserved Midi CC, and then assign it to a control in Analog Lab that control a Volume parameter for the sound.
But if you change the Midi channel for your pedal, then it will not work as an Expression pedal on Midi CC #11, and will not function as Expression pedal for sounds that use it.

Owning the full individual applications can give other options. Do you own any full applications that Analog Lab use sounds from?
Do you in example own the full Stage-73 V application that is responsible for the Suitcase pianos?

kurtlogic

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 08:56:19 pm »
Hi LBH:
Yes, I have the full version of Analog Lab with all the instruments.
There is an image of a volume pedal as well as Sustain Pedal on my Suitcase.
I have tried to do this before and failed, so I was looking for perhaps a quick easy answer from someone here.
Thanks for your reply.
Kurt

LBH

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 09:32:00 pm »
Your welcome.

Owning the full individual applications can give other options. Do you own any full applications that Analog Lab use sounds from?
Do you in example own the full Stage-73 V application that is responsible for the Suitcase pianos?
I don't ask about you own the full Analog Lab application but if you own  the full Stage-73 V application from V-Collection.
If you don't know that, then i guess, that you don't have the full Stage-73 V or other of the full applications in V-Collection.

You can see Arturias software products on Arturias product page. This is a link for V-Collection: https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/v-collection/overview#en
Analog Lab also have sounds from Pigments. The full Pigments application is'nt in V-Collection. You can see it here: https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/pigments/overview#en

This is a link for the product index page: https://www.arturia.com/products

kurtlogic

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 09:58:27 pm »
I do own V collection 7. I have the full package including Pigments 2 and the full Stage-73 application.
I have the full and latest versions of all the instruments.

You are correct, I was confusing Analog Lab itself with V collection and the individual instruments.
I am certainly not a power user. :)

In any event, hopefully I have answered your question more accurately.

If you can help me with mine, it would be very much appreciated.

If not, I understand.

Thank you! Kurt

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 10:03:33 pm by kurtlogic »

kurtlogic

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 10:12:45 pm »
By the way, I don't have much experience with changing midi parameters.
I am good at following directions, though!  ;D
Thanks, Kurt

LBH

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 10:40:42 pm »
You have to do assigments to have a chance to do anything. I will guess you manage :)

For Stage-73 V specifically you can try to open the full Stage-73 V application and in example assign your expression pedal as Midi CC#11 to the volume pedal. Midi CC#11 is'nt a reserved parameter in Stage-73 V.
Please read section "3.2.10 MIDI Learn assignment" and section "3.2.11 MIDI controller configuration" in Stage-73 V manual.

After that then open Analog Lab and select a Stage-73 V preset and see if it work. Does it work?
I can get this to work here.

kurtlogic

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 10:41:30 pm »
Okay - here is what I did on my own.

I downoaded Midi Control Center, Synced the Keyboard w/ Midi Control Center, and changed the expression pedal jack cc setting to 7 (Channel Volume).
Don't know if this change will be across the board for all instruments or just for the current one.

Done quite understand the file hierarchy yet for the midi control center. Maybe I need to save this as a user preset.

But I did learn one thing. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Kurt

kurtlogic

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 10:43:21 pm »
Thanks! I typed the last reply before I got your suggestions. I'm thinking the change I made would be universal to the keyboard.
I'll go back and try your suggestions and see where that takes me.
I am very inexperienced at mapping midi parameters so I appreciate your help.
Kurt

LBH

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 10:59:20 pm »
I downoaded Midi Control Center, Synced the Keyboard w/ Midi Control Center, and changed the expression pedal jack cc setting to 7 (Channel Volume).
Don't know if this change will be across the board for all instruments or just for the current one
I think all the applications have the standard Midi CC#07 for generel volume assigned to a volume.
But as i wrote:
You can in example change the Midi number for your Expression pedal in your Midi Control Center to a none reserved Midi CC, and then assign it to a control in Analog Lab that control a Volume parameter for the sound.
But if you change the Midi channel for your pedal, then it will not work as an Expression pedal on Midi CC #11, and will not function as Expression pedal for sounds that use it.

Stage-73 V have Midi CC#07 assigned to the volume pedal by default.

LBH

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 11:22:35 pm »
In addition to my previous post.

Are you saying that you can control Volume using Midi CC#07 through Analog Lab for your Stage-73 sounds in Analog Lab? I can't do that. I think Volume is a reserved parameter in some applications as it's used in modulation matrixes, so i assume it should have been listed in Analog Lab as a reserved control.

Also i don't think i normally would use general volume to control volume with a pedal, as it can be hard to control. Many sounds can be distorted, if you are not careful, and allways change the range of your pedal. Normally the Expression is used to control expressions of the set volume.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 11:27:21 pm by LBH »

kurtlogic

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 11:29:02 pm »
Actually, the default in my setup is Expression, not volume, for the expression/volume pedal in Stage 73, which is why initially I couldn't get my expression pedal to work as a volume controller. I was able to change the setting via Midi Control Center to Volume (7), but had trouble changing it back to Expression (11). I'm getting there but haven't completely figured it out. I need to learn how device memories and local templates work in the midi control center, so that I can map parameters as I desire.

Learning more as I go.

But in response to your help, I have only been able to change from 11 (Exp) to 7 (Vol) from within the Midi Control Center. I haven't yet figured out how to save each as a template. I'll get there!

Thanks for your help. Any more information is welcome.

Kurt

LBH

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 11:36:47 pm »
I'm afraid you mix things up.

For your controller your Expression pedal was set to midi CC#11 by default, as that's normal for an Expression pedal in standard midi usage.
(For a Volume pedal midi CC#07 is normal.)

But in Stage-73 V the pedal on the GUI is set to midi CC#07 by default. It's here i suggest you change it to midi CC#11, and then keep your pedal set to midi CC#11 for your controller in Midi Control Center.
This will not make your pedal control volume for all applications in Analog Lab, but you'll keep the functionality the pedal is set to. Some sounds are controlled by midi CC#11 allready. ANd midi CC#11 is also used and set to do many other things in many sounds.

Please read my posts again.

BTW: When using midi learn you assign the midi CC for the control you move when in midi learn mode, if that's what you mean.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 11:39:45 pm by LBH »

kurtlogic

• Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 03:03:35 am »
I figured this out through trial and error today. Thank you for your feedback and help.
Kurt

LBH

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 01:17:10 pm »
Great.

Your welcome.

Trial and error is often one of the good ways to learn.

Thanks for reporting back.

Cheers

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines