March 28, 2024, 05:00:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab mk2 and studio one: change midi channel/switch instrument?  (Read 1895 times)

shiny

• Apprentice
I am not able to get this to work. I have the keylab in studio one, and If I pick Studio one as daw mode, I can control with faders the volumes for the tracks, and switch tracks in the mixer, but I have no control on actual instruments.

The first hurdle is to select instruments: each track has an instrument and I have no way to go up and down to select a different instrument track, because the DAW profile only consider mixer tracks; which is not the same as instrument tracks in the main area of Studio one. I have to use the mouse to move through them, which is annoying, and wish there was a setting in the DAW profile to do so. I appreciate that Arturia decided for me, what that profile assignment should be, but if that won't work and I have to use a user profile to do things in the daw, then that defy the purpose to have the daw mode (also because in user mode I loose the jog wheel controls, yay).

Second issue is that there is no way to assign a midi channel change on a instrument. For example if I add an external module in a track, which use 16 midi tracks; I have no way to change that from the keylab. If I change the midi channel on the keyboard, that won't change the actual midi channel on the external module. Tried both in DAW and user mode and neither works.

Is there a way to achieve this? I am just using lesser and lesser the keylab to be honest, in favor of the nektar T2, which cost half the money and has much more integration with Studio one than the Keylab. Which is a shame, considering that the keylab is the top of the line for midi controllers.

LBH

Re: Keylab mk2 and studio one: change midi channel/switch instrument?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 01:29:09 am »
Are you saying that Nektar or any other controller does change midi channels on the plugins? How?

As long as you only have one track for each loaded instrument, then track and mixer channel is the same. It at least is for me in Studio One 3.

If you have folders, and groups, then you will also get issues. But i assume that's the same for any controller, no matter how you does it.

You can use the computer keyboards up and down arrows to step through the tracks. You'll still have difficulties as mentioned above. So i wonder is it's possible to not have to use the mouse in all work situations in Studio One or in any other DAW for that matter.
The computer keyboards left and right arrows step through the channels.

In studio one you can create macros. Among the commands is next and previous track. I'm not sure if you can and how to implement this to use for your controller, but i can suggest you ask in Presonus Studio One forum. I also don't have an Arturia controller yet. Perhaps the controller allready somehow use Studio One macros for the DAW functions or there is a way to use all the commands somehow. I can't tell. But you can create all sorts of macros for your computer keyboard.

Hope this help on your way.

shiny

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 04:04:18 am »
Thanks for the reply.

I did try the T2, but I didn't try it extensively so I do not know how it operate specifically for the tracks, but when using it in Studio one, I had access to most of the macros seamlessly, and the controller was mapped out of the box for studio one instruments and plugins.

Compared to the Keylab, which is not even mapped for Studio Collection V, which is also made by Arturia, it makes me wonder what is the actual integration with most of the DAW. Works fine as midi controller for external hardware though; but you can get similar results with a much cheaper device to be honest. Maybe for the cost of a decent hardware synth, I was expecting the keylab to do more and with less hassle.

I can probably map the macros for up and down; at the cost of having to switch between the DAW profile and the User profile. I just wish Arturia would not lock controls for using only in analog lab and DAW mode; and that everything could be configured in the midi settings, so you don't have to bounce back and forth between profiles. Also I can duplicate the same instrument 16 times and get all 16 channels by switching them on the fly via keyboard instead of via midi channel on the keylab. But again, it feel like a wasted opportunity.

Thanks for the hints; it is useful coming from a fellow studio one user.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 06:55:27 pm »
Your welcome.

BTW: You have posted in Keylab forum and not in Keylab MKII forum. No harm done, but perhaps a moderator will move this topic to the right forum.

Perhaps i should clarify, that i'm not talking about the instrument macros and such in my previous post, but about the shortcut macros you can create through the Studio One/ Options/ General/ Keyboard Shortcuts.
You can in example also see excisting Macros through View/ Additional views/ Macros.
Have a look here: https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/Editing_Topics/Macro_Toolbar.htm
Pay attention to the "Map Macros to your MIDI Hardware" section at the bottom of the page. You can map the macro to a button you have mapped for Presonus Control Link.

About midi channels, then midi channals in instruments can be set in different ways.
Beside that, then a DAW like Studio One have a input midi channel to the track, and a output midichannel from the track to the instrument it self.
Also Studio One does'nt have midi OMNI possibilities.
So to select a midi channel, then you shall select midi channel in 3 places. I doubt any controller can do that, especially as plugins is working in different ways.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 06:57:56 pm by LBH »

shiny

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 12:14:11 am »
I see, I was under the impression that you did mention the actual app macro, the ones you get when assigning a control to the midi learn in the controller settings.

I must say that I never tried to use the keyboard creation tool; but now I can try to make a macro that control the direction keys on the keyboard and solve the problem. Thanks!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines