April 16, 2024, 12:08:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: What are people using for monitor/speakers?  (Read 3504 times)

Peel

• Apprentice
What are people using for monitor/speakers?
« on: December 30, 2019, 07:04:06 am »
I ordered a Keylab 88 Mkii, and am waiting for its delivery. I plan to have this live in my living room with my Macbook Pro and act as a digital piano for the family when I’m not using it with Logic Pro X. To that end, I’m curious what other people with similar use patterns are doing for sound out of their laptop when used as a piano. When I use it with Logic I’ll likely be wearing headphones, but the family will want to be able to play live for each other and when guests are over.
A few years ago I would have simply plugged it into my home audio system, but I switched over to Sonos wireless speakers last year, and the A-D conversion has about a 2 second lag making that not usable for live performances. So I’m looking to get a single or pair of monitors that can run off my laptop without a separate amp.

Thoughts?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: What are people using for monitor/speakers?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 11:40:59 am »
Alesis M1Active 520 USB powered monitors. They have a built in USB audio interface so my Mac sees them as though they were a regular USB sound card. An alternative approach would be to buy a separate audio interface, such as a Scarlet Solo or 2i2, and powered speakers. But unless you intend recording live instruments such as a guitar or voice, I wouldn't over complicate the issue by purchasing a separate audio interface because it's a waste of money and you just end up with more wires and boxes and functionality you won't use.

Don't forget to budget for some stands to lift the speakers to ear height. I use a pair of Gorilla GSM100's.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

HummerHealey

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 09:10:54 pm »
I want to use the Keylab 88 mkII in the livingroom also (when the retro legs are available). I will use it with a MacBook Pro with V Collection and pigments. For audio i’m planning to use Yamaha HS7 white active monitors and a Steinberg UR22mkII audio interface. I was first going for the HS5, but i read that they lack a bit of low end. Fore the audio interface the Focusrite offerings are also tempting. The Arturia offerings might be something for the future. For now i want something that i can stick unther the Keylab. Accesable but out of view.

Other options I will purchase are the  Roland RPU-3 pedal set (with 3 pedals) and a Behringer FC600 expression pedal.

Peel

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 11:02:19 am »
With the HS7 frequency response starting at 43 Hz, and the M1 520 (discontinued) starting at 56 Hz, can you even hear the lowest notes on the 88 key MKII? A0 is 27.5 Hz, and A1 is at 55, so is the entire lower octave dead on a speaker like the M1 520?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 09:08:02 pm »
so is the entire lower octave dead on a speaker like the M1 520?
Don't be ridiculous, of course it isn't, audio doesn't work that way. You can even hear the bottom octave of a piano on your phone speaker, albeit not convincingly. If you buy a pair but you don't like them you can always send them back by taking advantage of your country's trading regulations. But unless you're craving gut-churning bass I imagine they, or something of similar size, will suit you fine.

Solo piano music is not exactly challenging for speakers to reproduce acceptably well, that's why it's so beloved by hifi manufacturers to demo their new speakers to gullible customers: just about any half decent speaker can reproduce piano with a reasonable degree of accuracy. Another common favourite is solo acoustic guitar, which is again pretty easy to reproduce with an acceptable degree of convincing accuracy. Full orchestra or even synth/electronic, well that's a different matter...
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines