March 29, 2024, 03:25:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Phase Knobs on Functions--Fun Possibilities!  (Read 1790 times)

davew

• Apprentice
Phase Knobs on Functions--Fun Possibilities!
« on: September 08, 2019, 08:44:09 pm »
I'm really enjoying Arturia Pigments. Among other things, its system for visualizing and managing modulations works very well for me.

I'd love to see a phase knob for each function, identical to those on the LFOs.That would open up many additional sound design possibilities.

Imagine, for example, being able to set two identical or nearly-identical functions, modulating differently-panned targets, slightly out of phase with each other. Then, you modulate the phases together or independently over time to create some crazy stereo syncopation effects. Or maybe you start with the functions aligned, and then make them jump in and out of phase with each other. Fun stuff!

stephenm

• Apprentice
Re: Phase Knobs on Functions--Fun Possibilities!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 10:50:40 pm »
+1   Love this idea.

sgc1060x

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 09:49:46 am »
Sign Me Up As Well.
Great Idea Indeed My Friend!

davew

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 05:58:15 am »
Glad to see a few other people have expressed interest in this. While the impressive demonstration in this video uses another synth, it illustrates what could be done with function phase modulation in Pigments. Imagine that the note sequence in the video were being driven by Pigments' sequencer, or that one of the functions were driving parameters in Pigments' harmonic engine, and you start to get a sense of the possibilities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7p48B_lcCI

Also, If the function generators had a phase control, we could then apply swing / shuffle to any function by modulating its phase with an LFO. Not quite as elegant as having a swing / shuffle control directly, as another user has requested (https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=107772.0), but it at least makes this sort of control possible.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 06:37:13 am by davew »

fcarosone

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 06:31:15 pm »
+1 here
Minimal music resurrects, yahoo!
If anybody wants to start with what we already have, Pigments 3.7 can put the same effect in more fx slots (not every synth does it). You can put 2 delays in series, switch them both in time mode, and set slightly different time delays. This is how the minimal pioneers started 60 years ago with real tapes..

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines