March 28, 2024, 03:55:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: VERY DISPLEASED WITH BEATSTEP PRO  (Read 2360 times)

Petter

VERY DISPLEASED WITH BEATSTEP PRO
« on: December 19, 2019, 07:36:48 am »
Hello everyone,,
I'm just testing my new purchase, the BSP. The quality of the materials is awesome, and some sequencing ideas are too. However, while the BSP does an awesome job in advanced areas, like randomizing, or the Looper it forgot the basics for editing/jamming.

1. The default gate is 50%. If you want to write a sequence with 64 notes and 90% of gate you have to adjust individually each note gate. Or viceversa - this is my major gripe with it. You can get older while adjust individually each note from a couple of sequences.
2. The encoders are slooooooooow. We have a shift key, why do not allow shift+encoder to change quickly the value? Like 10 points for velocity, one octave for the pitches, and 10% for the gate.
3. While the project switch is produced at the end of the current played pattern (optionally using the software), part's pattern switch is always done instantly. There should be an option to change this behavior, so pattern switch could be done at the end of the pattern too.
4. You cannot rotate or nudge foward/backward the patterns. I'm sure you want to write random sequences and the 'ear' starting note isn't at the step 1.
5. The "fast Tie" function isn't working here with the lastest firmware, instead the two simultaneous steps are turned off.
6. Encoders/buttons midi output cannot be changed without a PC (this is a minor complain).
7. Would be nice if the scale select would unlight the pads out of the scale (or paint them in another colour).

I think I'm going to return my BSP to the store this monday, until these things are fixed, because at the moment it's very difficult work fast with it for a classic techno musician. Unless there is a secret way to solve it... because I didnt find nothing in the manual.

naught101

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: VERY DISPLEASED WITH BEATSTEP PRO
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 02:30:49 am »
1. set the encoders to gate length, then use shift+knob 1 or 2 to change all gate lengths together.

2. Yep, writing with the encoders sucks. I'd recommend live-recording using the pads as a keyboard.

3. Is this what shift+step 14 does? I haven't figured that out yet.

4. YES, a global rotate-pattern would be awesome, for example if you accidentally start recording on bar two, it'd be great to be able to shift it back a bar. Shifting by step/beat/bar would be cool.

5. if you disable the last step, then press the first, hold, and press the last, and wait a second, it should work.

6. It's not entirely minor: I use linux, and can't edit anything at all, and that sucks.

7. I don't think the main pads have RGB LEDS, so colour is not possible. You could also use this as an opportunity to learn scales ;)

None of those things are really that killer. You should give it a little more time.

pedrop0000

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 11:03:53 am »
Hi,

Im just repliyng to agree with you. The work flow in BST to create patterns on the fly is not at all dynamic.

If i want to copy 1st phrase of seq 1 to the 2nd phrase i have to copy by hand, meaning make everthing from scratch again to have the same sequence, mainly in the drum seq. It should have a function to copy on the fly.
2nd i cant select all the buttons that i want to change the velocity or pitch and change it with one knob. I have to do it one by one in each one. In drum seq you should at least do it with one knob for each pad/sound.
In this little details you can see that dont unfortunately BSP dont have a pratical/dynamic work flow. ::)

By the way, it seems that Arturia and many of the manufacturers forget to maintain the upgrades in machines with 2 years or more. Really bad principle!!
Instead of making the product more and more solid, which regardless of the year of launch, to continue to evolve and encourage people to buy it, they prefer to apply the knowledge obtained in other products and forget the previous ones. I do not say that it is bad to apply this knowledge to new products as long as they continue to resolve issues of previously launched ones.  ???

masi

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 09:39:22 pm »
By the way, it seems that Arturia and many of the manufacturers forget to maintain the upgrades in machines with 2 years or more. Really bad principle!!
Instead of making the product more and more solid, which regardless of the year of launch, to continue to evolve and encourage people to buy it, they prefer to apply the knowledge obtained in other products and forget the previous ones. I do not say that it is bad to apply this knowledge to new products as long as they continue to resolve issues of previously launched ones.  ???
Arturia is king in that regard. Though for some reason they created a big update once for the BSP. Perhaps some other manufacturer had to be kept at bay then.

Masi

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines