March 28, 2024, 02:40:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Loud hum when unit is off/patched through an fx pedal.  (Read 2593 times)

johnpeer

• Apprentice
Loud hum when unit is off/patched through an fx pedal.
« on: December 16, 2019, 03:04:46 am »
Misery loves company, and so imagine my disappointment to join the forums here, do a search, and not see this topic come up!

On another microfreak group there are at least four or five of us with the same issue. When I turn my microfreak power off I get a lot of loud hum through my monitor speakers. Not just an annoying hum, a "hey what's wrong with your speakers??", hum!

Someone on that form quipped "Well just turn it off when you're not using it. Okay, well. Sure but the thing that's a deal-breaker for me is that it also hums when I run through a pedal. I tried endless combinations of different pedals different cables batteries no batteries... I even took the Microfreak, a tiny amp, and a pedal out to my workshop and tried it, 100% AWAY from my studio: the same thing. There's a super loud hum when the unit is off, and there's a still-too-loud hum when a pedal is inserted (and on) inline to the speaker.

Has anyone else here had this issue? I'm thinking not, since I couldn't find any threads. This hum through a pedal probably a deal-breaker for me.

I'm hoping someone found a fix? Upgrading the psu perhaps? (It still buzzes under USB power!)

johnpeer

• Apprentice
Re: Loud hum when unit is off/patched through an fx pedal.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 08:14:56 pm »
The only fix I've found so far is powering it by a USB power bank.
And so the problem lies with the adaper/circuit.
Using USB into a phone charger (AC power) works well too...although I still get some unwanted hum.
I seem to be able to reduce it quite a bit.

I guess mine is a defective unit, so I am returning it today and trying another one.

I envy folks that don't have this issue. It's such a great little instrument!

robst247

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • RobSt247 on SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 04:07:50 pm »
I have the same issue with the Microfreak I bought a few days ago: an extremely loud hum, which sounds like a ground/earth loop problem, when using the 12V PSU that came in the box. The hum completely disappears when I power the MicroFreak through the USB connection to my laptop.
Morpheus: "Nobody can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

Trevor42

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 12:19:41 pm »
try putting the power plug into a separate socket from all your other gear.
Juno 6, Poly 61, Casio CZ-1, Moog MF-105M, Digtech Talker, Microfreak, Ipad (AUM), Pianotech, Modular and Ableton.

martindj1

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 12:15:12 am »
I'm also having problems with a very loud hum when I plug it in. It goes away if I use the USB for power. Any suggestions for dealing with this would be very welcome.

BLEO

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • The dUmmydroMe
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 03:56:14 am »
I can't remember where I saw it, but someone recommended using a TRS cable (stereo) instead of a TS cable (mono). I recently rewired my home studio and used a TRS for the Microfreak, used a TRS cable and it no longer hums when it's powered off. It may be the TRS but about 50 other connections changed in my setup so I can't be scientifically sure that cable was the fix, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Airlane1979

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 05:29:05 pm »
I have the same problem. My Microfreak is patched using a TRS cable to a balanced input of my mixer. As soon as I switch the synth off, there's a very loud mains hum. Nothing else I use does this. I think Arturia don't build to the same specs as Yamaha/Roland etc. I wonder if all Arturia gear is like this?

d_a_n_e

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 11:38:27 pm »
Yep, I have the same issue. It's quieter when using USB to power it vs the DC power supply. Also, the headphone output does not produce the noise. My unit came with a 12v 4 amp power supply; arturia tech support tried to blame the power supply until I tried a 1 amp power supply and it did the same thing. I tried using a balanced cable, but it's still there. I've gone through a lot of back and forth via email with tech support, but they will not honor the warranty unless I can provide a proof of purchase that's less than a year old. Since I bought it second-hand, I cannot acquire the proof of purchase. Only now did I learn that there are 11 pages of posts regarding technical issues for just this one device! What is going on Arturia!?

vinark

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 04:40:04 pm »
Well I don´t have the issue, no noise never (but I had something similar with a novation circuit, which I fixed with a DI with groundlift, but with that I was one of the few), But I was wondering if anyone tried the phones out as line out. Phones is always usable as line out. Just use a splitter cable, trs to 2X ts/cinch.
They might have made a strange decision with the on of switch and ground.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines