March 29, 2024, 12:37:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Poll

Should there be an evolution from MIDI 1.0 by a new standard with softsynth houses and hardware's agreement ?

Yes, whatever it is
1 (50%)
Yes, with OSC
1 (50%)
Yes, with MLan
0 (0%)
No, MIDI is still all right !
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: April 17, 2005, 10:16:27 am

Author Topic: Gathering for new control protocols  (Read 5735 times)

omissis

Gathering for new control protocols
« on: March 18, 2005, 09:16:27 am »
hi

Since softsynths are hitting the market in order to surpass the hardware synthesizers and given that a computer has much more power to manage controls and with more reliability and accuracy than the MIDI protocol which never has changed from version 1.0 from more than 20 years ago so far, I think now the time has come for a gathering between all the major s.shouses ( Arturia, NI, GForce, Steinberg-Yamaha ) and the actual owners of the dedicated and non dedicated hardware market ( including Roland, Yamaha, Korg ) to decide an evolution in control standards which should allow more efficiency in the making music process.
For example MLan could be a suitable solution , to unify audio and MIDI controls.
I have great expectations from OSC instead,OSC servers yet are implemented on Reaktor, Bidule, and some Macromedia applications. OSC has the ability to work with 32-bits precision , so it is a definite cut with the past 8-bit controls, it relies much on the LAN/Ethernet/ TCP/IP technology which we already know it's quite mature; that implies a much faster and reliable communication, can open it to Web immediately and without extra connections, so it would also be an economic bargain . As a user I would be very happy , even if not going to OSC, at least to see some efforts to get an evolution in this way!
What do you think?
Max

a CS-80Vist

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines